Best non-american hiphop

JP Nut

Wild Horses
Witnesss the fitness!!!!

Gawd what a tune.

SECONDED

i don't know much about hip hop from other corners of the world. some japanese stuff is pretty good sounding to my ears..... i would check Muro.

i also used to love mc solaar - bouge de la being a fave. awesome break

as for uk stuff............

the first two roots manuva lps
rodney p
london posse

oh and of course witchdoctor wise... who? you can hear his stuff here sorry for the blatant plug

stelfox, i would highly recommend LIM - Double Violence Urbaine if you want to hear really heavy, raw Parisian banlieue rap - theres so much colloquialism that at times its barely intelligible but the sounds of oppression and desperation are clearly there, very vicious - an awesome record

ive also been listening to Fonky Family - Live au dome de Marseille 2003 - a breathtaking performance, to hear a whole football stadium's worth of people chanting along to their political songs is something special

Supreme NTM are the crew to listen to for the scene in the late 80's, early 90's - really really good stuff - get the paris sous les bombes album in particular

check out 113, a parisian rap crew - also very good - les princes de la rue being their best stuff

assassin is a dominant figure in french hip hop - really political polyglot rap with lots of arabic influence - check out Ecrire contre l'oubli, l'homicide volontaire and touche d'espoir for his best stuff, the track shoota babylon is just fire!

i do also like scred connexion and sniper - but they are less raw than the lot above

a good website for french hip hop is www.lavie2rue.com where you can get lyrics for loads of crews

hope that helps

claphands

Poorly-known member
following the thread starters lead -

france (don't understand french):

sefyu - quis suis je? (easily my favorite french hip hop album that I've heard)
booba - temps morts
lunatic - mauvais oeil
I second the assassin req

brasil (I understand portuguese):
that mv bill disk is great, as is his other stuff
my favorite Brazilian hip hop album is probably esquadrao zona norte - epedemia
racionais mcs - sobrevivendo no inferno is probably the most well-known hip hop brasileiro album and is worth checking out

I tend to listen to more funk than hip hop, but an album with Menor do Chapa and MC Frank called "Probidao da Selvinha Porra" is the closest to crossover between funk carioca and hip hop that is listenable. plenty of tracks on the the "probidao liberado" comp might also appeal to a brazilian hip hop fan as it is more conscious than your average funk disc. catra raps every now and then too.

portugal "tuga":
there is a lot of this and I've unfortunately only heard a little.
what I've liked most is
terrorismo sonico - 1º assalto
chullage - rapresálias

zhao

there are no accidents
the Roughguide to Brazillain hiphop comp has some nice tunes on it. the Afro Rap one, surprisingly, maybe not so much - but i need to give it another go.

by the way, for the pirate set out there, i started a thread about world-hiphop and urban music around the globe in general, on this filesharing forum. (you need to register first) they is some gems tucked away in there... many African albums, and an assortment of others. come take some, give some...

talking all this hip hop has litterally whet my appetite, ive been listening to Only grime for more than 6months now. gonna give some of my hip hop collection a well deserved listen.

also, met this polish guy in a park smoking shisha and he was pumping out Kaliber 44 - apparently old skool polish hip hop (now not together anymore) and it was sounding pretty good.

the album was kaliber 44 - k44

zhao

there are no accidents
after test driving a considerable amount of global hiphop, i really wish people would stop aping the Wu... and bring more local flavors in the mix. reason why i love a lot (some) of the african stuff - their flows are so melodic and sweet, derivitive of much african traditional as much as KRS, almost in a sing-jay stylee. and the production is sometimes polyrhythmic deliciousness like traditional music.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
sefyu - quis suis je? (easily my favorite french hip hop album that I've heard)

I think this is great too - would highly recommend checking out NTM if you haven't already... Supreme NTM has the same kind of ultra-dramatic feel with baritone raps that you get on some of the Sefyu tracks.

Eric

Mr Moraigero
there is also a large scene of anticon pretenders at least in japan. better fake wu than fake that imo.

------

but recently: in japan, origami is sounding quite good, also solo albums by the members (shibitto & nanorunamonai) are good as well. enjoying new rumi album. going down here in a few minutes to see some of this stuff at a dubstep night (goth-trad's monthly), the dubstep/grime and underground hiphop scenes are converging here in an interesting way right now. duo called skyfish & shinza dopeness (if memory serves) has an interesting sound & there are some others.

gumdrops

i only really wanna hear non US hip hop if theyre rapping in their own languages (that rza lp was a bit of a let down cos it had european mcs rapping in english - why?!) and if the beats are different. like baile funk for example. ive no idea what theyre rapping about though but i like that - sometimes its better not to know. i should really try and hear more global rap but a lot of it just seems terrible. the potential for non-american rap to be awful seems a lot higher than with other genres.

Last edited:
I like Onda Rossa Posse and Assalti Frontali, they're Italian- "combat" rappers. Public Enemy type rhreotoric, decent.

Negu Gorriak from the Basque, as well.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Here's three tracks by Thabs from his second album, Perfect Times.

i was : tha Hymphatic thabs (i_was.mp3): http://www.divshare.com/download/636947-19e

perfect times : tha Hymphatic thabs (perfect_times.mp3): http://www.divshare.com/download/636948-090

enigmatic : tha Hymphatic thabs (enigmatic.mp3): http://www.divshare.com/download/636949-7f5

This is fucking extraordinary - some genuine next shit :cool:. Thanks so much for putting the tracks up. Can you direct me towards anything else similar (th elink for the other tracks you put up had expired by the time I found out about it), or is this guy fairly unique?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
This is fucking extraordinary - some genuine next shit :cool:. Thanks so much for putting the tracks up. Can you direct me towards anything else similar (th elink for the other tracks you put up had expired by the time I found out about it), or is this guy fairly unique?

Which one's didn't you get? I can up them again. He has a new album out called 'The Age Of Horus' but it's only available from one shop in Jo'burg, although he promises to try and get his digital distribution sorted out soon, and I'll be passing that way in Oct so will pick up a copy.

Him and his mates are part of the spoken word scene. I think Thabs is extra-ordinary within that but others who rock are

Ben Sharpa ( who Mary Anne Hobbs seems to be digging at the moment )

http://www.myspace.com/bensharpa

and Gini Grindrith who's also in a collective with Thabs. I can up the whole album if you want, it's all waaay great, especially when monged. There are connections to Thabs' myspace site to both Ben and Gini.
http://myspace.com/120956026
OH! and he says he may be doing shows in the UK in the autumn, which would be amazing, haven't seen him live yet. I would KILL to hear him over some grime and dubstep.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Which one's didn't you get? I can up them again. He has a new album out called 'The Age Of Horus' but it's only available from one shop in Jo'burg, although he promises to try and get his digital distribution sorted out soon, and I'll be passing that way in Oct so will pick up a copy.

Him and his mates are part of the spoken word scene. I think Thabs is extra-ordinary within that but others who rock are

Ben Sharpa ( who Mary Anne Hobbs seems to be digging at the moment )

http://www.myspace.com/bensharpa

and Gini Grindrith who's also in a collective with Thabs. I can up the whole album if you want, it's all waaay great, especially when monged. There are connections to Thabs' myspace site to both Ben and Gini.
http://myspace.com/120956026
OH! and he says he may be doing shows in the UK in the autumn, which would be amazing, haven't seen him live yet. I would KILL to hear him over some grime and dubstep.

Didn't get the tracks by Pitch Black Afro, actually. Reupping them would be great, thanks. And obv would love to hear the album (and will buy it wwhen it becomes availbale on the net).

Live in the UK - sounds incredible. Keep Dissensians posted!

mistersloane those thabs bits are fucking incredible. i totally slept on that the first time round. ive been listening to enigmatic over and over since saturday, he kind of reminds me of a more poetic trim. anymore recommendations into this spoken words scene would be fantastic. i went on africanhiphop.com and people there were saying "golden shovel" or something, is also one to watch - similar to thabs they said - again, absolutely untraceable.
got that drudge dialect, havent had a chance to listen to it all yet, but the opening track hasnt made a good impression and its going lower on my listening priorities list.

if you could up the thabs album that'd be great - cant find it anywhere

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
mistersloane those thabs bits are fucking incredible. i totally slept on that the first time round. ive been listening to enigmatic over and over since saturday, he kind of reminds me of a more poetic trim. anymore recommendations into this spoken words scene would be fantastic. i went on africanhiphop.com or seomthing and people there were saying "golden shovel" or something, is also one to watch - similar to thabs they said - again, absolutely untraceable.
got that drudge dialect, havent had a chance to listen to it all yet, but the opening track hasnt made a good impression and its going lower on my listening priorities list.

if you could up the thabs album that'd be great - cant find it anywhere

I'll up his last one, Perfect Times, a bit later on - but gonna ask him on myspace if it's Ok first, dunno how he feels about it bein available - haven't got the new one yet but will have in a month. Glad people are liking it!

Last edited: