BareBones

wheezy
I never understand what those guys are saying. There was one outside london bridge selling this new paper called "i" last week, and he appeared to be yelling "GETYEREYEONAAAARIEYAY"

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There was one outside london bridge selling this new paper called "i" last week...

I saw* this advertised on a bus stop the other day. Has a civilisation ever fixated on a single letter to quite this extent? Is it some Freudian ego thing?

*iSaw? eyeSore...?

Last edited:

BareBones

wheezy
i don't know, it's just seems to've become a kind of catch-all marketing term for "personal and convenient". it is fucking annoying.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh dear oh dear. I remember a few years back when the Indy was a half-decent paper - then it went tabloid and turned into a sort of Daily Mail for liberals. :slanted:

IdleRich

IdleRich
"street vendors would always be yelling "WEST END FINAAAL!" - what does that actually mean? I assume it's to do with theatres/cinemas, like it's the latest listings or reviews or something?"
I think it comes out several times during the day with slight changes as stories develop or world war three starts after the first edition or something. Final is the last one of the day I guess.

Client Eastwood

Back in the day when you had to pay for the Evening Standard (well, obviously you didn't have to, but you know what I mean), the street vendors would always be yelling "WEST END FINAAAL!" - what does that actually mean? I assume it's to do with theatres/cinemas, like it's the latest listings or reviews or something?

I kind of miss the ES vendors. They always had that proper old-skool cockney accent that almost seems to be dying out now, and I loved the way they'd economise on the phrase "Evening Standard" to the smallest number of syllables possible. There was one guy I used to pass walking between Euston and UCL who'd contracted the usual "Sten-ner!" into the monosyllablic "NER!".

In Leeds we got the Evening Post shortened to Een Poh and the Big Issue is Big Shoe.

zhao

there are no accidents
if you send me or put up your tune for download, LABEL THE MOTHERFUCKER. otherwise how the fuck am i supposed to know who did it 3 weeks later! it'll only end up as an "UNKNOWN" on tracklists.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
'Track 3' by Unknown Artist is pretty much my favourite song ever. I'm going to have it played at my funeral.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The coffee dilemma. On the plus side:

(i) Tastes fantastic
(ii) Proper snobbery value against people who take instant
(iii) The whole making process has a value in itself similar to spliff-rolling etc.
(iv) Keeps you alert
(v) Makes work bearable

On the minus side:

(i) Leaves you feeling like a zombie.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Oh dear oh dear. I remember a few years back when the Indy was a half-decent paper - then it went tabloid and turned into a sort of Daily Mail for liberals. :slanted:

still preferable to the guardian though. althoguh obv the guardian online site is winningly designed.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
On the minus side:

(i) Leaves you feeling like a zombie.

(ii) Leaves you with an aftertaste like you've been rimming the very Devil himself.

I have to brush my teeth after drinking coffee, or at the very least chew some gum or rinse out with cold water. Even nice coffee leaves your mouth tasting foul.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
(ii) Leaves with an aftertaste like you've been rimming the very Devil himself.

I have to brush my teeth after drinking coffee, or at the very least chew some gum or rinse out with cold water. Even nice coffee leaves your mouth tasting foul.

Never really felt that, or indeed rimmed Satan. Quite like the aftertaste really (of coffee, that is).

(ii)/(iii) Excessive consumption leaves you open to saying the first thing that comes into your head, in a situation less conducive to this being OK than with alcohol.

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Half hour bus ride sat next to loud posh woman barking and snorting into
her phone about her boyfriend and weight loss regime as if she was in her front room

slowtrain

Half hour bus ride sat next to loud posh woman barking and snorting into
her phone about her boyfriend and weight loss regime as if she was in her front room

I actually really like this kind of thing... I guess I just find boring obnoxious shit interesting

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
yeah i guess there's something admirable/fascinating/compelling about that total lack of self-consciousness/respect for others.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Another office lingo gripe: the phrase 'by/at close of play', meaning more or less 'when most people go home'. I dunno about other people, but for me, answering emails and cocking about with spreadsheets is a pretty poor form of 'play'. Why not just say 'by 5 o'clock'? Ugh.

Just heard from the woman to my right within about 30 seconds: spurious use of 'literally' and the non-word 'unwieldly'. Offices are a horrible place to work for anyone who cares about language. :(

Last edited: