baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
My mum is a bit like that (although not racist), and she does this thing that drives me mad whenever she sends important numbers to do with banks and the government and stuff:

"2*59#23, where * is the month of your birthday, and # is the month of your sister's birthday, minus 2"

As if anyone who is bothering to monitor my emails wouldn't be able to find out the month of my or my sister's birth in # seconds flat.

You're making my own mother seem increasingly sane to me*. Please continue.

*this is a tough ask, so well done

zhao

there are no accidents
shit i know people MY age who is like that. they're not anti anything per se, but work in fields which have nothing to do with media or tech, and couldn't be arsed to remember teh most basic shit that i've repeatedly told them, shit that would save them quite a bit of time and frustration.

asking me time and again where the downloads go. WHERE EVER YOU TELL IT TO YOU FUCKING IMBECILE. and when i find it for them there are invariably 27 copies of whatever.pdf :mad:

copying info from a website on paper and handing it to me. um... do u remember what i told you last week? select the text, COMMAND C, and then COMMAND D into an email to me. that way i won't have to type it again either! :mad: it's laziness which makes them end up doing more work is what it is :confused:

"can you burn a cd for me?" it is 2010. and there are people who don't know how to use TOAST. :mad::mad::mad:

luka

alex and zhao i hate to have to tell you this but its cos that stuff is fucking boring and only autisitcs can master it. everyone elses eyes glaze over the moment you start talking about it.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But it's hardly a case of 'mastering' it, it's just learning the bare basics. And it may be boring, but that doesn't mean it's not useful. You'd think someone was pretty special if they drove every day but had to ask someone to show them how to use the pedals each time they got in the car, wouldn't you...

zhao

there are no accidents
person in question has the latest mac powerbook pro. all he uses it for is check email and a bit of surfing.

luka it's not like we're talking about kerning type or warping wavs in ableton (which... i do sometimes but that's not the point).

we're talking about mastering the art of selecting multiple items in finder by holding down the apple key.

you

Creating a useless folder, within a folder, within a folder, within a folder.

Ha, I do this for a laugh, make as many folders within folders as possible, and in the last one put a shortcut to on of the previous folders! - Down right kafkian in essence.....

Yeah, im a joy to work with....

sufi

lala
It seems like a hangover not even from the 20th, more like the 19th century
heh funny you should mention that - i've been loving calling out a few of our antiquated practises at work with that exact diss recently - e.g recording time off on two signed pieces of cardboard :rolleyes:

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Work toilets - always a bit terrifying to consider that whoever is responsible for the scary things I've seen is one of my workmates.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ha, I do this for a laugh, make as many folders within folders as possible, and in the last one put a shortcut to on of the previous folders! - Down right kafkian in essence.....

Yeah, im a joy to work with....

Haha, trust 'you' to spend your time creating Hofstadterian strange loops via the Windows file system! Though really I think the shortcut in the last folder should be to the entire C: drive. :cool:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
To make it clear that these are crude, shifty, untrustworthy Ay-rab 'devices' as opposed to proper, well-made, honest-to-goodness American bombs.

nomos

Administrator
yeah that's what i always figured until the other night when the coppers stopped a car in my mostly posh (except for the likes of renters like me) canadian neighbourhood and found an "IED" inside. the police spokesman said that "it's what might often be called, colloquially, 'a bomb'." colloquially. :rolleyes: then again, the car had quebec plates so maybe the "crude, shifty, untrustworthy" thing still applies.

interesting sidebar: a bank just about 3-4 blocks away was fire bombed (fire-IED'd?) less than a year ago in some crude, Olympic-related act of rebellion, but they don't think they're related. otherwise it's a very dull neighbourhood where the greatest danger is being run off the sidewalk by nannies and jogging-mummies pushing baby-SUVs.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well, cops and squaddies have always had a thing for ludicrously overblown and unnecessary jargon, haven't they? A lot of it's probably just an attempt to sound clever. I don't think it works very often.

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Got this today.
Have to say I was chuffed unless its radio they had in mind.

scaledphptn0server619filenamexj82.jpg

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Trying to find somewhere to live.

There's a specific personal moan about the expensiveness of cambridge and the fact that fer chrissakes, I've spent my years studying hard and all that and sold my soul to The Man and got the good job, can I have my reasonably nice flat in a sensible location please rather than having to traipse around tiny grimy places in the arse end of nowhere because I made the mistake of not having been born 20 years earlier, but in general, the whole process is such an absolutely intense pain in the arse that I'm now yearning for a communist government who'll just inform me that I've been allocated to residential unit 254241b and that will be that.