IdleRich

IdleRich
"i imagine zara is trying to sell her lifestyle via their clothes (i assume she's wearing their stuff), aspirational marketing."
You're probably right - bluerrgh. I wonder if someone will ever deign to see my lifestyle worthy of aspiring to... and if they do will I be such an insufferably smug prick about it. Probably. The amount of interviews these days that are just a chance for people to show off their amazing houses and impeccably taste and incredibly interesting friends - it makes me very jeal... I mean angry.

grizzleb

Oi, nothing illegal about me! Well, not much. *kicks bundles of used banknotes under bed*

It's something gone mad, or at least severely out of hand.
Yeah I was just pointing out the contradictions that turn up from a certain kind of 'daily mail' outlook.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I know the Daily Fail has made complaining about bureaucracy and H&S legislation one of its pet things, but that doesn't mean they aren't genuinely taken to ludicrous extremes sometimes.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

People who moan and wail over animals suffering but you never hear them complain about inequality or bad things happening to humans...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
People who moan and wail over animals suffering but you never hear them complain about inequality or bad things happening to humans...

This is a really British thing, isn't it? Our Society for the Prevention of Cruely to Children is merely National but our equivalent organisation for animals is Royal.

viktorvaughn

This is a really British thing, isn't it? Our Society for the Prevention of Cruely to Children is merely National but our equivalent organisation for animals is Royal.

Yeah maybe. There is a particular type or person who always stresses how they were crying/nearly crying or feeling sick because they read something in the paper about some poor whales somewhere being mistreated and how terrible it is in this kind of emotionally ostentatious way like 'look how much i care' and then you never hear them rail against human injustice which is a million times worse. Or you never hear them go 'that chicken i just ate probably had a fucking terrible life in a battery farm', it's all about the immediately visible image and flimsy emoting... (one particular colleague annoying me :))

slowtrain

Yeah, its weird isn't it?

I can see videos of people being killed and you just kind of go 'eew' but if you ever see animals being harmed then I feel really physically sick to the stomach, can't handle it.

Desensitesed by horror films and cop shows?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
people project a blank canvas onto animals, so that it's almost like seeing a young child getting harmed. there's something about complete vulnerability (perceived or real) that is unbearable to see it taken advantage of. whereas people can rationalise horrors against adult humans, or even mid-age children.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, think of the fuss over that scene in Apocalypse Now or the way Cockfighter was banned for years cos some chickens got killed. It's fine for the food industry to commit chicken genocide every day but God forbid someone should actually see one die.

bandshell

Grand High Witch
I remember reading about Mou Tun-fei's Men Behind the Sun and the infamous cat scene (which turned out to be fake anyway).

Apparently he was a bit distressed that people were more bothered about the cat than what had happened to the thousands of people used as guinea pigs in Unit 731.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I read that for the scene in Pat Garret and Billy the Kid where they shoot the heads off chickens buried in the sand Peckinpah filmed it by by attaching explosives to their necks and detonating them as required. The problem was that after the first take he thought that the chickens looked too sleepy so he rubbed petrol in the next set of chickens' eyes before burying them. That's a bit cruel. But it is a pretty good film.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
There' a sales guy at work who's currently writing up a contract for a customer who's buying the stuff that I've developed. And in the process of doing this, he's got this thing going where he keeps making up random phrases that I've never heard before and then emails me asking to provide definitions for them.

Driving me absolutely nuts.

e/y

nearly snapped at my chemistry lab partner today. for one, he fucked up at least three times meaning we had to re-start the experiments...but w/e, everyone makes mistakes. what is worse is that he constantly repeats everything that I say to him, in question form, and also narrates everything that I do. look, I KNOW there's 10 mL left, you don't need to do a fucking countdown aloud to me.

arghhhh.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
People on a plane who burst into cheers and applause when it lands, as if the pilot has just equalled the achievement of the Wright brothers.

Presumably these same people whoop with joy when they open a packet of biscuits and OMG THERES BISCITS INSIDE AWW HELLZ YEAH RESULT WOOHOO!!!1

Last edited:

bandshell

Grand High Witch
People who applaud at the end of a film at the cinema are bad. I could understand if the makers were sitting in or it was a premiere but not some showing in a small town Odeon.

When I went to see Return of the King everyone clapped when Legolas brought down the Mûmakil / Oliphaunt and at the end everyone clapped. There was also some extremely keen man in a cloak with a plastic dagger darting about from time to time. I think he got ejected or his friends calmed him down.

Leo

people who wait until they have actually stepped onto the bus before they start to dig through their pockets/purse for change/bus pass, bringing the boarding process to a halt and preventing the bus from leaving promptly. even better when it's pissing down rain.

what, you didn't realize you were going to get on a bus for that 15 minutes that you were waiting at the bus stop?

(and yes, i believe i expressed this complaint many pages earlier in this thread but it CONTINUES TO PISS ME OFF. thank you...)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm tempted to 'defriend' (in the facebookian sense) a woman I vaguely know from a messageboard I used to use, but have never actually met, because EVERY SINGLE ONE of her status posts is about her fucking kids. Like she's the first person in history ever to have reproduced. Fucksake.