Iraq: U.S. Troop and Mercenary Escalations

crackerjack

Is this the default rolling Iraq thread?

Dunno. It is the mercenaries thread tho.

What does everyone think about the SOFA? 18 months left... happy, cynical, indifferent -- what?

Holding judgement til I see how it pans out. Then claiming I knew it all along*.

you?

*OK then. My guess is that the surge has worked as well as it could, and staying any longer is inviting trouble.

vimothy

yurp
They've just had elections as well, right? And the secularists are in? Finding it hard to keep track of anything at the moment.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
re the SOFA i'm not entirely dissatisfied because in the end the US had to make some concessions from their start point but it was not as good for Iraqi sovereignty as it could have been, so i was pissed with it. (it is better than the US deserved, and of a piece with the Bush administration's lamentable stonewalling on international courts etc. part of me wonders if a more multilateral minded administration had already been in charge if we would have seen more welcome concessions from the States. of course a more multilateral administration would probably not have administered the surge.)

re the imminent provincial elections one piece is this from the LAT.

"Comrade, come in," the man said, ushering a visitor into the lobby of Iraqi Communist Party headquarters. :D

there is scheduled to be a general election toward the end of the year. the polls opened early for members of the armed services, prisoners and hospital patients.

the main vote is this Saturday.

vimothy

yurp
national bankruptcy

I haven't been following that, either. There's just too much going on. Maybe it's because we're only three years from the singularity/Mayan endpoint/DMT party in 2012.

Last edited:

crackerjack

there is scheduled to be a general election toward the end of the year. the polls opened early for members of the armed services, prisoners and hospital patients.

the main vote is this Saturday.

(my bolds)

sorry, but can you clarify what looks like a contradiction

scottdisco

rip this joint please
yeah cheers Vim and sorry Crackerjack: people in those categories voted early in these provincial elections (where 14 out of 18 provinces are taking part in the vote) yesterday, but the bulk of the electorate get to cast their vote in these provincial elections come the weekend, aye yes

vimothy

yurp
Results are in: Maliki wins, Allawi does good, as do the secularists generally. SoI types and the Sadrists do ok. ISCI/Iran, not good at all.