Boycotting Zionism

I've already mentioned several -- in the very quote that preceded your own. For instance, South Korea.

You mentioned France, Germany, Japan and Bosnia. None of which are ex-colonies or third world countries (in the tradtional sense).

South Korea - youre only half right there - it was once a single entity prior to the US invasion , so it can't really be called a complete success story can it?

Have you got any unequivocal examples of US invasions or military actions bringing about positive changes for a state? Here are some examples to chose from.

Vietnam
Nicaragua
Haiti
Grenada
Panama
Honduras
Colombia
Guatemala
Iraq
Laos
Cambodia
Dominican Republic
Bolivia
Afghanistan

(& I thought you started the charming personal insults, but never mind...)

er.. I called Pipes' (and your argument) garbage. I didnt call you a twat/wanker etc... i know its a subtle distinction - not something Id expect you to notice.

Actually, I've read plenty of articles by Chomsky, and some of his books (like Manufacturing Consent). It has been a while, but I used to be quite a fan. Besides it being largely irrelevant, I also take it then that you've read plenty of Pipes work, so I won't bring that up.

I have actually (for my sins). But thats beside the point as I actually addressed his argument instead of simply spouting slogans about how incredibly evil he is.

My reaction to Chomsky was purely disbelief that he was being brought up yet again to dispute the numbers killed in democide. Why is it always Chomsky?

His was one of 3 criticisms quoted - why did you focus on that one alone?

I assume because its easier for you to shout 'genocide denier!!' than address the arguments.

And I'm coming to Chomsky's disagreements with the Black Book of Communism, and your own. There's plenty of time, but it will take a while, because, ostensibly, I'm here to work, not argue about politics.

Really - theres no need.

And that isn't what he's fucking doing. I've heard HMLT on this subject a lot. He wants to destroy Israel. He's for the apocolyptic conflict - he wants to help it manifest.

More ravings from Dissensus' resident racist looney.

Wheninrome said:
You dismiss HMLT's argument against Pipes' as essentially playing the man, not the ball, and then you do exactly the same thing.

Vimothy never engages in reasoned argument here on political matters, but blind far-right dogma combined with hysterical demonizations of all those who question his irrational, unhinged rants. As you can see, his perverse quota of quotidian non-sequiters have, as usual, already hijacked and deflected a discussion about a boycott of Israeli universities into mindless droolings about fictitious body-counts in selective historical conflicts.

vimothy

yurp
Daniel Pipe's is the commentator quoted by VImothy, whose point you described as the 'crux' of the matter.

Ok – forget about "Daniel Pipes". We’re arguing about what he’s saying, not who he is. According to Marxists, a thing is true or false according to who says it. We should be able to go beyond that.

Pipes says that,

The Arab-Israeli conflict is often said… to be the world's most dangerous conflict – and, accordingly, Israel is judged the world's most belligerent country.

Do you agree? You certainly seem to agree that it is the world’s most dangerous conflict. And, if you follow the link in Pipes’ article, it seems that many people feel the same way.

Then he says that,

It flies in the face of the well-known pattern that liberal democracies do not aggress; plus, it assumes, wrongly, that the Arab-Israeli conflict is among the most costly in terms of lives lost.​

Do you agree? You might disagree with the first part of that sentence (later, please), but you have already conceded the second.

Pipes ranks the Israel-Arab conflict number 49 on a list of conflicts causing mass death, post 1950. He states that,

These figures mean that deaths in Arab-Israeli fighting since 1950 amount to just 0.06 percent of the total number of deaths in all conflicts in that period. More graphically, only 1 out of about 1,700 persons killed in conflicts since 1950 has died due to Arab-Israeli fighting.​

Do you disagree with that? I assume that you do, and that is the reason you have been attacking The Black Book of Communism. As I’ve said, I will come to those criticisms later. However, even if you (for whatever reason) claim that the deaths attributable to Communism were only (!) between 65 and 93 million, the deaths resulting from the Arab-Israeli conflict make a very small percentage of the total number of deaths in the last fifty-seven years. You can’t disagree with that, as far as I can see. We should also remember that this includes the entirety of the conflict, including Arab initiated wars of aggression against Israel, including times when (shock-horror) they were receiving no aid whatsoever from the USA. The total is not simply deaths of Palestinians and Israelis.

To return (yet again!) to my original question, why Israel? For instance, why not Syria? And I’m not only referring to western critics, but also to Arab radicals. If Israel is to be attacked for it’s mistreatment and disenfranchisement of the Palestinians, why aren’t other Middle Eastern governments attacked for the same reason? It’s obviously not the oppression of Muslims (i.e. the identity of the victims) that is the cause of the wider conflict (meaning this ideological or political argument as well as the “kinetic” instances of the same, like Arab terrorism and Israeli air strikes), but the fact that it is Israel doing the oppression (i.e. the identity of the oppressor), not other Sunni Arab states, that enrages the extremists. They think it’s their job. Why don’t they complain when Hamas murders other Palestinians? Why don’t they complain when Iran executes children? Do you complain?

Is this really so hard to accept? Do theological reactionaries (to the 7th C, FFS) think like liberal westerners? I seriously doubt it. “End the occupation of Muslim lands”, not “Liberate the Middle East from tyranny” (and remember the Middle East – including Palestine -- is not solely Muslim).

It seems so obvious that it doesn’t even need comment, but if the Israelis were Arabs, no one in the Middle East would give a damn.

Do you disagree? Were there mass demonstrations over the Hama massacre, over Black September, over the invasion of Kuwait, over the murder and torture of Arabs and Kurds (remember them? Not in the Mid East) in Iraq, over the oppression of women and minorities in Saudi Arabia, of opposition groups in Egypt, of religious minorities in Palestine?

Why Israel? Israel should be criticised, but it is also a tiny oasis of liberal democracy in a sea of dictatorships. Are you criticising them proportionately? If so, fine. I salute your consistency. HMLT isn’t, though. And it is clear that on a global-historical scale the Israeli-Arab conflict is tiny – even more so if you look at it in terms of deaths of Palestinians and ignore Israeli casualties (hey – its their fault, after all), and Arab casualties in the wars (hey – they’re in the past, after all), the conflict is small. In Darfur, 1 million people have been murdered by Islamic insurgents over the last ten years. It is a conflict that hasn’t lasted as long as the Arab-Israeli conflict (i.e. as long as Israel has existed), so if you're measuring the seriousness of a conflict according to its length, I guess it still pales in comparison to the later. But even so, it seems incredible that this receives such a pitiful amount of press compared to the Arab-Israeli conflict. Do you disagree? (Surely you cannot).

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Vimothy never engages in reasoned argument here on political matters, but blind far-right dogma combined with hysterical demonizations of all those who question his irrational, unhinged rants. As you can see, his perverse quota of quotidian non-sequiters have, as usual, already hijacked and deflected a discussion about a boycott of Israeli universities into mindless droolings about fictitious body-counts in selective historical conflicts.

There was no debate - the thread was silent.

And you're free to continue the debate without me, surely.

vimothy

yurp
You mentioned France, Germany, Japan and Bosnia. None of which are ex-colonies or third world countries (in the tradtional sense).

South Korea - youre only half right there - it was once a single entity prior to the US invasion , so it can't really be called a complete success story can it?

I think you're fooling yourself here - of course South Korea has been a success - a success that should make other third world countries hopeful that it is possible to move into the modern world in a short space of time.

As for the disaster that is North Korea - er, last time I looked that was a Communist country, a project of the good ol' USSR. Right?

crackerjack

In Darfur, 10 million people have been murdered by Islamic insurgents over the last ten years.

Where does this figure come from? That's more than ten times higher than the highest I've seen (generally somewhere round 2-500,000)

vimothy

yurp
For instance:

Currently extant data, in aggregate, strongly suggest that total excess mortality in Darfur, over the course of more than three years of deadly conflict, now significantly exceeds 450,000. As Rwanda marks a grim twelfth anniversary, we must accept that while vast human destruction in Darfur has unfolded plainly before us, we have again done little more than watch, offering only unprotected humanitarian assistance while some 450,000 people have perished as a result of violence, as well as consequent malnutrition and disease. Human destruction to date, however, certainly does not mark the conclusion of the world’s moral failure in responding to genocide in Darfur---on the contrary, this massive previous destruction is our best measure of what is impending.​

(my emphasis)

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Vimothy, the point has recently been raised (and I've raised it before) that it seems reasonable to hold Israel, as a democracy, to higher standards of behaviour than countries which are run on totalitarian or theocratic lines. Surely this is important here? Plus of course the practical matter that Israel is an essentially Western country which takes part in full diplomatic relations with the US, UK etc., not to mention receiving large amounts of financial and military aid from the former, so there is a real prospect of people in the West influencing Israeli policy; more so than, say, Iran...

sufi

lala
vimothy can you also please edit your post to change 'islamic insurgents' because that's also inaccurate :rolleyes:

vimothy

yurp
how are they insurgents?

You have to consider them as part of a spectrum of Islamic global insurgency, in the style of Marxist global insurgency (like me). Otherwise, you might like to refer to them as "Islamic death squads", or "Arab death squads".

sufi

lala
they're not motivated by islam so they're not Islamic (your capitals). Islamic and arab is not interchangable
& as they are locals & not fighting against the state they're also not insurgents either

:rolleyes:

vimothy

yurp
First off, slight clarification:

The Second Sudanese Civil War started in 1983, although it was largely a continuation of the First Sudanese Civil War of 1955 to 1972. It took place, for the most part, in southern Sudan and was one of the longest lasting and deadliest wars of the later 20th century. Roughly 1.9 million civilians were killed in southern Sudan, and more than 4 million have been forced to flee their homes at one time or another since the war began. The civilian death toll is one of the highest of any war since World War II. [1] The conflict ended with the signing of a peace agreement in January 2005.​

they're not motivated by islam so they're not Islamic (your capitals). Islamic and arab is not interchangable
& as they are locals & not fighting against the state they're also not insurgents either

They're Islamic, so they're Islamic. Are they motivated by Islam? Are Catholic terrorists motivated by Catholicism, or are they just arseholes? (Having met a few, I'd say the later, probably). Does it make any difference? Hmm...

Also, are you familiar with the background? I'm sure you are, so I'll just remind you that the conflict began (again) with Nimeiry's campaign to "Islamise" Sudan and install Shari'a throughout. Thus the civil war. And that Al Qaeda was invited to the Sudan, and was a good friend of a leader of "Arab deaths squads" and memeber of the government, the noted Hassan Al-Turabi, and that the links between the Sudanese and the wider Islamic insurgency are extensive.

And just to clear this up:

Islamic and arab is not interchangable

No shit - and yet the death squads are both.

as they are locals & not fighting against the state they're also not insurgents either

See previous post, obv -- they're part of a continuum of Islamic extremism -- a global insurgency. Indeed, many analysts see Islamic Africa as the next port of call for Al Qaeda, should they ever be forced to leave Waziristan.

(your capitals)

?

Last edited:

sufi

lala
no vimothy you're wrong
there is no conexion between turabi and the darfur conflict as he had been sidelined and detained by the Government of Sudan, who had also expelled Al-qaida in the 90s well before the start of the conflict, yes i am familiar with the background as i was in sudan at that time

they are not a part of any 'continuum' i've never heard them called Islamic (& certainly never AlQ) anywhere, either by the participants or by anyone else

there is a difference between an Islamic movement (for which one uses capitals - like what you did) and a military campaign by muslims - is that clear? or do you need me to explain,
(& it's got nothing to do with Nimeiry as both sides are muslim)

to say 'does it make a difference' just shows how bigotted your perception is really

sufi

lala
me said:
to say 'does it make a difference' just shows how bigotted your perception is really

& that's why i bother to pull you up on it tbh, i'm so fed up with your muslim-hatred

your assertion of '10 million dead by Islamic insurgents' is an absolutely typical bit of dishonest hyperbole; attempting to make points to back up your obvious prejudice against muslims with barefaced lies

gek-opel

entered apprentice
& that's why i bother to pull you up on it tbh, i'm so fed up with your muslim-hatred

your assertion of '10 million dead by Islamic insurgents' is an absolutely typical bit of dishonest hyperbole; attempting to make points to back up your obvious prejudice against muslims with barefaced lies

I don't think Vimothy hates Muslims per se, rather that a prejudicially anti-Muslim line emerges as a residue from his worship of hegemonic power in its current abiding form, with all that entails. Indeed its basically pointless to argue, as this isn't really a question of assessing arguments, but rather one of picking sides. Choose your team and fight your corner, might as well be at a football match. Hence Chomsky is rubbished at an ontological level-- he simply IS wrong, rather than demonstrating that the argument which was presented was wrong for reasons of incoherent self-contradiction or empirical inaccuracy.