lilly allen with the specials at glastonbury

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
What homophobia? Exactly what about my post was homophobic?
For the record I've got plenty of gay friends, it just bugs me that some people go out of their way to look like dickheads. And the 'metrosexual' thing I was talking about is generally confined to straight blokes. So there.

See, you did it and didn't even realise. That's worse.

You said "gay" highlights. What denotes a blonde highlight to be specifically gay? Admittedly it was on the tame end of the anti-homosexual spectrum, but you did do it.

I do it sometimes as well. It is all to easy to slip into. Calling something gay as a insult.

Men's fashion these days is fucking awful though, I will give you that.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I meant 'gay' in the sense of 'gay-looking'. I suppose it's the fact that, these days, you usually see them on straight blokes - often meatheaded homophobic blokes, as swears points out - that annoys me.
Plus the fact that I just think they just look rubbish (hence the 'shitty' bit).

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
What is Gay looking? Clearly if they seem to be the domain of straight men in their 20s they aren't "Gay" highlights are they?

swears

preppy-kei
A gay fella I know said that trendy straight men are usually just wearing what gay men were into two or three years before.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Well let's say 'unnecessarily and unflatteringly effeminate". Perhaps it's a straight take on what gay guys were doing to their hair a while ago, Christ, I don't know. I just think it looks shit.

Don't get me wrong, a bit of foppishness or dandyism can look really cool. But a dandy doesn't stand at the bar in a Yates's 'wine lodge' drinking Bacardi Breezer from the bottle. :confused:

(p.s. yes I am a MASSIVE pub/beer snob.)

Edit: haha, cross-post with swears. :)

Last edited:

Logan Sama

BestThereIsAtWhatIDo
They look like hairdressers to me. Those bloody stupid blonde highlights and inordinately spikey and acutely angled hair styles, as well as the new emo style swept over fringes really annoy me more than they should.

And don't get me started on skinny jeans and Chuck Taylors.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OK, so forgetting for the moment whether they look 'gay' or not, you agree with me that they (and the other things you mentioned) look shit.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Call me flippant, but doesn’t sexism mean ‘treating people differently depending on their sex (gender).’ Well, how exactly does this apply to this thread? I guess the scrupulous person would argue that everyone should judge Lily Allen as an individual rather than as a woman — a fairly unimpeachable opinion — and everyone would answer, ‘we do!’. And we do! But this ‘sexist’ slur still gets thrown around. How come?

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
How come?
Beats me. A while ago someone (I think John Eden?) started a thread called "Hot Old-School Babes", with a disclaimer "Sorry if this is misogynistic!", or something like that.

How on earth saying "I find (a particular woman) attractive" is 'misogynistic' is beyond me. If there had been a thread called "Name your Top Ten fat ugly munters", now that would have been misogynistic!

Edit: beg pardon, Woebot started it and the word was 'chauvinistic', not 'misogynistic'.

Last edited:

dHarry

You find out about these weird and wonderful musics which you intellectually embrace through the media though. Your opinions are immediately tainted by the medium of delivery which presents said music to you.

The worst form of controlling propagandist media these days is the type which appeals to people like yourself who fool themselves into thinking they are superior because they do not consume that which the proles do. You are probably more controlled and influenced by the media than any of the Smash Hits kids of the 90s were.
Seriously, what on earth are you talking about? Wierd and wonderful musics like pop, dubstep, jungle, minimal, grime, dub, postpunk, classical, post-rock, jazz, blah blah blah...

So are you and John Eden saying you don't use intelligence or discernment in your musical appreciation? How does that work?

And which "controlling propagandist media" appeals to "people like myself"? I've already stated that I don't read The Wire (recently featuring Wiley, Throbbing Gristle, Skulldisco - maybe I should start reading it)- unless you're talking about Dissensus, Woebot, K-punk, Blackdown's blog, etc?

The sort of "elitist", non-tesco-cd-buying types I'm talking about are the types who look beyond the mainstream media you're always complaining about to find out about wierd and wonderful things like... grime, for example. People who think outside what the mainstream tries to spoonfeed them with so they don't have to think about what they're consuming.

Where exactly did I say I was superior to "the proles" - I am a prole FFS! - I said that using intelligence to think beyond cliche and mainstream blandness is, maybe, just maybe, a good thing (shoot me).

I'm obviously not getting something here - I thought the whole point of Dissensus was for people like this (not that we/they're a homogenous group or anything, otherwise there'd be no dissent)?

And the only example of my oh-so-intellectual PC high-falutin aristocratic taste I gave on this thread was Rihanna's Umbrella, FFS!

dHarry

There are so many things to be said in support of dHarry's post, and in response to the many utterly predictable attacks upon it, that I literally do not know where to begin.

I do find it telling that one of the moderators, John Eden, instead of saying, "maybe you have a point, it's worth discussing anyway, let's consider this, and, as an aside, there are some very thoughtful women who read here, I'd be curious to hear what they think" . . . no, instead, he answered with, "Well, you are an elitist" and then inaugurated a round of attacks on the initial poster. Classic!

I appreciated dHarry's post very much, and I've got a great sense of humor, do not belong to the Politically Correct Police, and am about as "prole" as they come . . .
cheers, dssdnt!

dssdnt

Edit: beg pardon, Woebot started it and the word was 'chauvinistic', not 'misogynistic'.
Yes, it was Woebot, who also started a thread comparing Aretha Franklin and Missy Eliot by suggesting that one of the four critieria be: that both were "beautiful, feisty, but slightly over-weight ladies." Which is unnecessarily pedantic, quite frankly, nevermind the fact that Aretha herself THEMATIZED the issue of "RESPECT" decades ago . . . and I do wonder what Woebot thinks would happen if he posed the comparison in the same terms to an Africanist or, a hip-hop critic (of any color)? [EDIT: Presumably they would answer that singling out physical appearance, and body weight, as one of four criteria for discussing two artists who have contributed enormously to music is superficial, shallow, and fruitless?] So why do it in front of hundreds/thousands of people on a message board?

http://www.dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=4575&highlight=aretha

EDIT: I edited it to make my meaning more clear, in response to Mr. Tea's statemnt "I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here". And let me be clear that I mean no disrespect toward Woebot, whose contribution to music discussion is significant and much appreciated. I do, however, stand by the observation that physical appearance unnecessarily and appears in discussions of female musicians.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. Are you saying that Woebot, as a (presumably) white Englishman, simply doesn't have the right to make a comparison between one black female American singer and another? There's probably loads of stuff I wouldn't say in a cafe in Harlem; doesn't mean I have no intrinsic right to say it.

john eden

male pale and stale
So are you and John Eden saying you don't use intelligence or discernment in your musical appreciation? How does that work?

It is you who made this distinction in the first place - between people who use their intelligence (like "us"?) and people who buy their music at Tesco and are influenced by advertising.

All I am saying is that, like everybody else, my choices are a product of a whole swathe of things including advertising, availability, how much cash I have on me, completely irrational things like whether or not the word "Ruby" appears in the title, whether or not it's been recommended by someone, and my "intelligence" or lack thereof.

:)