August FWD & Rinse FM @ The End / youngsta & Riko / general excitment / thread

mos dan

fact music
Maybe someone should organize a flash mob for dubstep events where everyone stands around looking moody for the jump-up wibble and then goes completely mental when the DJ plays something ultra-minimal. That'll teach 'em.

this is the funniest idea ever, or would be if you refined it so that everyone brucked out during the intro/quieter bits, and then as soon as the drop hit started mooching slowly around. i like it.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Don't know that "danger" is the right word for it, sounds awfully corny to me. Danger is e.g. life in Iraq under occupation, not kids listening to bass-heavy music in UK clubs
It's obviously a bit silly if you take it literally. But the implication of the state of alertness / excitement / edge that comes from not quite knowing what's going to happen next makes it a fairly sensible metaphor.

Gek: I'm not sure whether it's that people don't like it in clubs specifically, or whether it's just something that fell by the wayside in favour of other drives ie to get faster and louder. Having rhythm at all, let alone dangerous rhythm, implies having some of your beats quieter than the others, and that means that you tune isn't as loud as it could be, which in today's DnB scene is unacceptable...

elgato

I just dont know
to take that idea on you could have a totally un-chinstroking, un-techno un-reggae sound un-heavy metal, totally pop and trash (probably vocal?) in its aesthetic, but keeping the stumbling rhythms and sub... like a crossbreeding of niche/bassline and dubstep...

that description is basically D1's new stuff

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
The thing is, a couple of DJ's have posted on DSF recently that the reason they play almost entirely heavy wobble is because the crowd go fucking nuts when they play heavy wobbley tunes and don't go nuts when they don't. No DJ prefers playing to a room full of people who are standing around looking at their shoes than a room full of people who are leaping about like lunatics.

I don't think a bunch of neeks on forums whingeing at DJ's is going to change anything. As I see it, about the only thing that can make a real difference is the punters making it more obvious that they're actually loving zoning out to the deeper tunes and not just getting bored. Or maybe promoters running nights where they deliberately book more varied DJ's - if people like it, they'll keep coming back and bigging up the night.

I think that any DJ who have cited that as a reason are shit DJs by their own admission. A DJ should play what they believe in first, and what people want to hear second. That is just cowardice to go into it playing wobble for the sole reason that a crowd of people will stroke your ego.

Your point about promoters starting new nights is on the mark I think. Many people who have studied subcultures have noticed that as soon as a small culture becomes recognized, and in turn subjected to market forces and media pressure, it tends to enter a phase where it is stuck between remaining underground and becoming mainstream and upwardly mobile. What almost always results is a breakdown of the culture into many small, independently identifiable parts, and its solidarity as a whole is lost. I think this is about to happen to dubstep.

Presumably one will be able to distinguish between bad cockrocking wobblebass, and good cockrocking wobblebass?

As opposed to dismissing it all for not being, well, grime?

What are you on about? I said I'm sick of hearing anything besides the wobbly shit, not that I can't tell whether it is good or bad. And where are you getting that I want all dubstep to sound like grime?