Modern d'n'b is rubbish - tune ID and a moan from an old man

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I happen to have no problem with electronica, i don't think it's dull, there is or more often now there was some great stuff, some of my favorite electronic music is what got called idm, it's just great very imaginative music at times and really fun to listen to, i don't actually think any of the people that made music that got called actually had any intentions but to do what they wanted and not worry about scenes, they were also informed by other music too by freeing themselves from that idea, but inevitably a scene kinda followed them.
Yeah, I absolutely love a lot of it - particularly in the early stuff there's a real sense of 'endless possibilities' - you can almost hear the excitement of people realizing that there aren't any real limits to what they can try.

The really interesting things happen when people find the space to negotiate themselves out if the tensions though, either by dealing with them, ignoring them or improving them, or by just physically creating a space infront of speakers where egalitarian things happen.
Yeah. I guess this is kind of why a lot of really interesting scenes tend to turn into boring scenes - you start of with a lot of tension, contrast, different elements. Eventually it all seperates out and people who want one thing go off in one direction and people who want another go off in another.

mixed_biscuits

It's pretty good - interesting experiments with soundtracky orchestral elements and decent beatwork.

g-real

hi my name is a guy called gerald
you probably wont remember me but that is because i have an illness. i tend to shy away from popular music
when jungle started to be dominated by dudes who worried what kind of car they were driving more than how many breaks they could combine and chop together and the rest of all the technical stuff that we started to put together in the early 90s, i decided to do a dark one and just get on with what i know best
at the moment i'm trying to find a way to bring some of this music to the chosen few - i call you the chosen few because obviously if you are into the chopped up beats you've either been there from day 1 or else you've developed the illness too
"kids and machines - don't trust 'em"
a guy called gerald
wait for the sickness

tate

Brown Sugar
Welcome, Gerald. I'd guess that you'll find many folks around here who admire your work very much and would be very keen to hear your thoughts on the current state of dnb/jungle/music in general.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Welcome, Gerald. I'd guess that you'll find many folks around here who admire your work very much and would be very keen to hear your thoughts on the current state of dnb/jungle/music in general.

we heard them in that infamous press release from the record released a few months ago... the music didn't exactly live up to the exaggerated promises of the writing, but I'm curious to hear the new stuff.

adruu

This Is It
OMG its GCG! =)

I'm an ass for speaking for everyone on here, but I don't think one reasonable person would even connect the work you did with the drudgery of what DnB has become.

One of the few old hardcore tracks I still have in permanent rotation is Anything from 91! Still love it. Big up you, especially for branching out and doing different things...

tate

Brown Sugar
we heard them in that infamous press release from the record released a few months ago... the music didn't exactly live up to the exaggerated promises of the writing, but I'm curious to hear the new stuff.
yes of course there was the press release, much discussed on sc and elsewhere, and well known to anyone who cares about jungle, but there's a difference between press releases and discussion, no? I mean, come on, the post was a sincere & polite gesture welcoming the guy.

continuum

smugpolice
Welcome Guy Called Gerald! Vooday Ray is a stone cold classic. Would love to hear more of your thoughts on the current music scenes.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
yes of course there was the press release, much discussed on sc and elsewhere, and well known to anyone who cares about jungle, but there's a difference between press releases and discussion, no? I mean, come on, the post was a sincere & polite gesture welcoming the guy.

yeah for sure... but that press release didn't leave anything open for discussion, although it was discussed to death, and it certainly seemed to convey GCGs feelings.. it celebrated the return of a legend and dismissed more or less the entire scene whilst the release simultaneously failed to buck any trends whatsoever.

it was basically a better informed, slightly high and mighty version of the opening post of this thread. it was never made clear who wrote the press release though I guess, though it must have at least been OK-ed before going out to press

Last edited:

g-real

basically it's supposed to be music to dance to and i find that most of the music i hear now doesn't make me want to dance.

how many djs when they go to the record shop just pick a load of tunes out without looking at the name of who's done it and just listen to the groove of the track, the quality of the track and buy it on the strength of that without knowing the artist or the label? what i mean by this is music is very personal, everyone has their own view, their own flavour and no one should ever be influenced by what people write - and that goes for all press releases.

i think jungle's got to the state it's in because most people producing the music are djs and it seems the reason they became djs is because they read about it. jungle music belongs underground. i'm just waiting for all these fuckers to jump off the bandwagon. i feel like this music has been sabotaged.

there's too much trainspotting and not enough dancing going on. give me something to dance to. in a few years time, if we are not careful, we'll be dancing to a magazine!

i don't trust people that don't dance.

sorry for ranting on... thanks to the people who've supported me over the years.

zhao

there are no accidents
(Dieselboy!!!)is a moronic boring twat.

Well I never met him in person... My exclamation points are for the great music he makes and mixes. I can see how it might be too dark and hard-core for some.

his music is trite, boring, and stupid to the extreme. it is a perfect example of what is wrong with D'n'B today.

sorry you can't tell good D'n'B from bad... hopefully in a few years you will be able to.

(damn i don't know what's wrong with me today. I'm coming off like a dick and i don't mean to be... but a spade is a spade innit)

continuum

smugpolice
basically it's supposed to be music to dance to and i find that most of the music i hear now doesn't make me want to dance.

how many djs when they go to the record shop just pick a load of tunes out without looking at the name of who's done it and just listen to the groove of the track, the quality of the track and buy it on the strength of that without knowing the artist or the label? what i mean by this is music is very personal, everyone has their own view, their own flavour and no one should ever be influenced by what people write - and that goes for all press releases.

i think jungle's got to the state it's in because most people producing the music are djs and it seems the reason they became djs is because they read about it. jungle music belongs underground. i'm just waiting for all these fuckers to jump off the bandwagon. i feel like this music has been sabotaged.

there's too much trainspotting and not enough dancing going on. give me something to dance to. in a few years time, if we are not careful, we'll be dancing to a magazine!

sorry for ranting on... thanks to the people who've supported me over the years.

People have been too busy indulging in the glamour/gangsta culture to worry too much about the music in my opinion. While that is exciting at first eventually it becomes monotonous. Style over substance like you say. Its like people have wanted to shelter from reality and live like it was there last week on earth ever since around 9/11 times from my viewpoint.

Jungle was my first love and to see what has happened to it is demoralising. I think DnB/Jungle will slowly head back underground especially with people from the current scene now jumping ship to other scenes.

bassnation

the abyss

welcome gerald - you are in good company here with your feelings about modern jungle, you are far from alone in feeling like that. i'd like to think the situation is rescuable beyond keeping the hardcore vibe alive in other genres - pity other big name producers don't do the same.

btw would just like to say i walked down the wedding aisle to one of your songs - finlays rainbow. superb life changing music. can honestly say your music is up there with the best - i'm sure anyone who knows the score would agree.

Last edited: