Modern d'n'b is rubbish - tune ID and a moan from an old man

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Was really good to hear Equinox rinsing the Amens and subs on a top class system last week. Proper revision for Junglists - nothing new I guess but lots of fun and a reminder of what was so exciting. This came after fairly dull sets from Hatcha and Benga so that was pretty unexpected for me - stopped listening to d&b almost completely around '98 like lots of others. I can pinpoint that to a particular Ed Rush set I endured, or maybe it was Reprazent. :D

Last edited:
thanks for the links, bassnation.

swears, this was the garagey one remarc did: http://www.discogs.com/release/180028

I'll try and up it somewhere later (haven't got the right hard drive to hand)

not that early, 2001, but just as the breaks thing within garage was going off with bingo coming out and the dj hype naughty 12s.

bassnation

the abyss
Re naphta etc: isn't it all mostly revivalist though, without the prevailing wind of a cultural junglist movement behind it? Recreating the music wont recreate the magic...

this is true, hence my comment about following the spirit rather than every letter of the genre. its been and gone and is now a part of the pysche for future generations.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Re naphta etc: isn't it all mostly revivalist though, without the prevailing wind of a cultural junglist movement behind it? Recreating the music wont recreate the magic...

It's new music using the same techniques... all he's attempting to recreate is the vibe. I wouldn't call it revivalist really.

As an aside, there shouldn't be an 'etc' in your post. Naphta is pretty much the only person making music like that, despite all the new ragga jungle stuff coming out of the US and Canada. He's out on his own, and I was using him as an example purely in response to bassnation's post about abandoning the old method completely - he's not connected to drum and bass in its current form, and he's not connected to the revivalists either.

bassnation

the abyss
not only but also johnny l who did some mersh garage hits, remarc did some early garage, as did bizzy b as part of the beatfreaks and dreem team, then there was shut up and dance who were red light and hackney solders/one up too, there is even that remix of original nuttah by tpower and shy fx! That pussy trax track rules tho.

i must say i like what amit does, a few of the other guys that showed promise a few years back have got a bit tame though, like i wish breakage would do more stuff like he did 4 planet mu.

didn't jonny l do that song with posh spice that was in the charts? good luck to him. he released a jungle album in 94 or 95 that was pretty ordinairy and then went quiet again, only to resurface with the shit piper ep - unbelievable to listen to that and not hear any trace of the beautiful work he did with tracks like hurt you so.

mms

sometimes
didn't jonny l do that song with posh spice that was in the charts? good luck to him. he released a jungle album in 94 or 95 that was pretty ordinairy and then went quiet again, only to resurface with the shit piper ep - unbelievable to listen to that and not hear any trace of the beautiful work he did with tracks like hurt you so.

yes he did a tune with posh spice!
i quite liked it.
his stuff was great in parts.

bassnation

the abyss
It's new music using the same techniques... all he's attempting to recreate is the vibe. I wouldn't call it revivalist really.

As an aside, there shouldn't be an 'etc' in your post. Naphta is pretty much the only person making music like that, despite all the new ragga jungle stuff coming out of the US and Canada. He's out on his own, and I was using him as an example purely in response to bassnation's post about abandoning the old method completely - he's not connected to drum and bass in its current form, and he's not connected to the revivalists either.

yeah, but maybe thats half the problem. these people are like islands. part of the vigour which is something reynolds talks about is that scenius thing, ideas bouncing off each other, evolving. if you are a lone voice in a scene that no longer cares, its admirable and for sure, people like me will lap it up but its no longer a movement, a way of life. got to keep moving or you die (or maybe just get old and boring, lol)

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
yeah, but maybe thats half the problem. these people are like islands. part of the vigour which is something reynolds talks about is that scenius thing, ideas bouncing off each other, evolving. if you are a lone voice in a scene that no longer cares, its admirable and for sure, people like me will lap it up but its no longer a movement, a way of life. got to keep moving or you die (or maybe just get old and boring, lol)
There's a risk of putting the cart before the horse though - oh, these guys aren't really part of a scene (which is debatable with stuff like Technicality going on) therefore they can't possibly be making interesting music. Never mind that they keep putting out good records, la la la I'm not listening.

By the by, I think a lot of the 'revivalists' are working a one step backwards two steps forward approach which is just starting to move into the stepping forward phase. Take it back to the point where it went wrong and see where else we could have gone...

bassnation

the abyss
There's a risk of putting the cart before the horse though - oh, these guys aren't really part of a scene (which is debatable with stuff like Technicality going on) therefore they can't possibly be making interesting music. Never mind that they keep putting out good records, la la la I'm not listening.

By the by, I think a lot of the 'revivalists' are working a one step backwards two steps forward approach which is just starting to move into the stepping forward phase. Take it back to the point where it went wrong and see where else we could have gone...

i agree, but the state of play is now so bad that a lot of people have just given up, and therefore likely to miss the good stuff. yeah, yeah the 95% genre rule, but dnb has been untouchable (and not in a good way) for years. theres a sense that the centre of hardcore gravity has just moved on to genres new and a handful of excellent producers can't change that, as unfair as it is.

swears

preppy-kei
i've got some of those, pity my vinyl is still at my ex-wifes house. got loads of garage like that - plus all of the horsepower eps, which back at the time no fucker had heard of outside of london.

Have you found that those have gone up in value since the emergence of Dubstep/Burial and being quoted as an influence?

Take it back to the point where it went wrong and see where else we could have gone...

I like that idea.... you can apply it to so many types of music.

Of course it's easy to take 2 steps back and no steps forward though.....

I'm trying to upload this Remarc tune, anyone recommend a good website for this?
sendspace is taking forever.....

swears

preppy-kei
I asked a friend who was a bit of a drum and bass head what went wrong. His answer:

"Chavs that listen to stupid shit like Pendulum coming to all the raves in their fucking Clios and Burberry caps."

bassnation

the abyss
Have you found that those have gone up in value since the emergence of Dubstep/Burial and being quoted as an influence?

maybe i should check e-bay - they are ok (the dj hype stuff, not the horsepower, the latter having stood the test of time), but interesting curiosities rather than gems. like a lot of garage from that time, the intros are better than the main body of the song. they tend to be very spacey and weird - when the drop comes its all grungy bass and breaks, quite minimal. this was around the time of dj deekline (note hes moved sideways into breaks rather than on to dubstep which speaks volumes)

Last edited: