Modern d'n'b is rubbish - tune ID and a moan from an old man

swears

preppy-kei
I like that idea.... you can apply it to so many types of music.

Of course it's easy to take 2 steps back and no steps forward though.....

I'm trying to upload this Remarc tune, anyone recommend a good website for this?
sendspace is taking forever.....

rapidshare is free up to a certain amount of space, I think.

bassnation

the abyss
I asked a friend who was a bit of a drum and bass head what went wrong. His answer:

"Chavs that listen to stupid shit like Pendulum coming to all the raves in their fucking Clios and Burberry caps."

lol, you say that, but hardcore was always written by and for chavs (or proto-chavs, because they didn't really exist back then)

swears

preppy-kei
I wouldn't say that, 'cause I've never been to a night that was 100% dnb. I get the impression he's more pissed off about newcomers with little history rather than them not being posh enough.

yeah but then you end up going to those "back to 93" nights with a load of other old farts :-/

best to leave drum and bass to the pendulum fans and seek solace in something new.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
i agree, but the state of play is now so bad that a lot of people have just given up, and therefore likely to miss the good stuff.
That's why I tend to big up what good stuff there is as often as possible.
yeah, yeah the 95% genre rule, but dnb has been untouchable (and not in a good way) for years. theres a sense that the centre of hardcore gravity has just moved on to genres new and a handful of excellent producers can't change that, as unfair as it is.
It's certainly not the centre of hardcore gravity, but that's not the same as being dead in the water. Techno hasn't been the centre of hardcore gravity for 15 years and that shows no signs of stopping (cf minimal). Leftfield dnb is obviously a much smaller scene than that, but there's no reason it shouldn't keep moving forward in its own way if it can establish an identity distinct from Clipz and Die...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
yeah, but maybe thats half the problem. these people are like islands. part of the vigour which is something reynolds talks about is that scenius thing, ideas bouncing off each other, evolving. if you are a lone voice in a scene that no longer cares, its admirable and for sure, people like me will lap it up but its no longer a movement, a way of life. got to keep moving or you die (or maybe just get old and boring, lol)

hehe.. you could look at it the other way round though. these chaps were part of a scene for ages, and seeing that scene destroy itself so spectacularly would probably make anyone feel a bit disillusioned with scenes in general. it probably feels really nice to be more self-reliant after that

I'm 21 so I look at drum and bass a bit differently.. it's easier to ignore the stuff I don't like as I wasn't around to see it taking over the scene. I've kind of got a birds eye view of 15 years of jungle, so I pick and choose the stuff I like and pay no attention to the stuff I don't :) Dubstep satisifies all my scene needs, so I don't really participate in drum and bass other than as a listener and bedroom dj, which helps too.

bassnation

the abyss
That's why I tend to big up what good stuff there is as often as possible.

It's certainly not the centre of hardcore gravity, but that's not the same as being dead in the water. Techno hasn't been the centre of hardcore gravity for 15 years and that shows no signs of stopping (cf minimal). Leftfield dnb is obviously a much smaller scene than that, but there's no reason it shouldn't keep moving forward in its own way if it can establish an identity distinct from Clipz and Die...

this is true, and don't get me wrong i am the last person to argue against people producing good jungle. thing is, jungle probably makes more money for djs and its producers than its ever done. critically, its hated - not the first time this has happened,but the last time was back in 1993,but the big difference is the music was good people stuck with it through times where no-one even knew it was still going on. now loads of people are into it, but the mainstream sucks. thats a big deal for older fans who put everything into it. its like giving up on a relationship, once you've cut those ties yeah its tempting to go back but things have moved on.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
just for the record, of course malice can't repeat the blisschaos of early rufige and yeah, i agree with Nick, an excellent EP is hidden away there. I concede that i have totally lost track with d'n'b now- the initial thrill of coming into contact with the sound via that album has faded disapointingly quickly, but, its fine- if some of the tunes/ artists on this thread are as good as they sound, then i'll be over the moon. I approach with an open mind, and a certain amount of trepidation- being disapointed so many times before i really ache to hear some decent jungle again.

evergreen

but the big difference is the music was good people stuck with it through times where no-one even knew it was still going on.
it really is no different now. while it's true that good jungle today is 4 parts genius to 1 part scenius, the fact is that there IS a scene--albeit tiny, and spread quite thin across the globe--in which real drum & bass music is made, played out, and enjoyed, with major-league "drum & bass" acting as an incredibly dense smokescreen to outsiders. you could also say that the producers and participants in this so-called "leftfield" scene (a misnomer, since it's entirely faithful to the original music) are no more aware of what's happening in the dnb mainstream than the disenfranchised former junglists are aware of them. they basically associate with each other. it's no hardcore scene, but it's not as if they each operate within a bubble, either, severed from any notion of community.

it simply has to grow, but it seems unlikely to garner much more interest if people are only seeking to replicate the identical sociocultural conditions of 1993. i'm personally grateful that internet forums, as disconnected from LDN as they are, have allowed the spare handful of stalwart junglists around the world to connect with and vibe off of each other, and throw parties, and form labels--there would be a lot less interesting music.

Last edited:

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Oddly, I stumbled across "Timeless" this weekend and was struck how powerful it was still and how it hadn't suffered with time... I guess he named it accurately ;)

DJ PIMP

I was hopeful the new Rufige Kru album would preempt an old skool revival and be genuinely unhinged non-linear rude/mental business.

I'm looking forward to hearing the Calyx/Teebee album - for the engineering if nothing else.

Last edited:

bassnation

the abyss
it really is no different now. while it's true that good jungle today is 4 parts genius to 1 part scenius, the fact is that there IS a scene--albeit tiny, and spread quite thin across the globe--in which real drum & bass music is made, played out, and enjoyed, with major-league "drum & bass" acting as an incredibly dense smokescreen to outsiders. you could also say that the producers and participants in this so-called "leftfield" scene (a misnomer, since it's entirely faithful to the original music) are no more aware of what's happening in the dnb mainstream than the disenfranchised former junglists are aware of them. they basically associate with each other. it's no hardcore scene, but it's not as if they each operate within a bubble, either, severed from any notion of community.

it simply has to grow, but it seems unlikely to garner much more interest if people are only seeking to replicate the identical sociocultural conditions of 1993. i'm personally grateful that internet forums, as disconnected from LDN as they are, have allowed the spare handful of stalwart junglists around the world to connect with and vibe off of each other, and throw parties, and form labels--there would be a lot less interesting music.

well, all i can say is that if i hear good stuff i will buy it. i like naphtas stuff, but the oft repeated nu skool revival (e.g. stuff like dj clever) is still too fucking fast and although its a big improvement from the dnb mainstream, just isn't as interesting to me as the best dubstep is. why settle for adequate when it was once life-changing?

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Some fantastic labels not connected to the (utterly mediocre) 'revival' movement - offshore, subvert central, bassbin/breakin', subtle audio, counter intelligence, secret operations, thermal

viktorvaughn

OK, I'm convinced - what's a good underground dnb night to go to in London? Or is the point that there aren't any, i didn't follow the whole debate.

bassnation

the abyss
OK, I'm convinced - what's a good underground dnb night to go to in London? Or is the point that there aren't any, i didn't follow the whole debate.

i'm not convinced. have yet to hear a single track from offshore et al which has got a reaction beyond feeling that its adequate or a slight improvement on the mainstream (although some tunes by breakage are pretty good). put your money where your mouths are dnb lovers. i never stopped listening to cutting edge music, just dnb when it lost the plot.

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

i'm not convinced. have yet to hear a single track from offshore et al which has got a reaction beyond feeling that its adequate or a slight improvement on the mainstream. put your money where your mouths are dnb lovers. i never stopped listening to cutting edge music, just dnb when it lost the plot.

I was only convinced by their enthusiasms, i haven't listened to any of the links. Damn, I'm easily swayed...!

swears

preppy-kei
Do you think a lot of this is down to the influence of Bad Company? Loads of producers copying their sound?