Modern d'n'b is rubbish - tune ID and a moan from an old man

elgato

I just dont know
i saw paradox play in bristol a while back and i chatted to him afterwards, and i cant say i got the vibe that is suggested by all this business... he seemed quite reserved, perhaps slightly uncomfortable in the situation, and most strangely given all of this, genuinely humble and even touched by my praise of his set

he then chilled in front of the speaker and danced to the resident's set

this was before i heard any of the internet chatter about him, so now im left fairly confused

Alfons

Way of the future
my opinion of Paradox, from what little I know of him, is somewhere between a guy who isn't afraid to speak his mind on wanting to change the status qou and then a pretty disillusioned arrogant guy who's stuck in the past, i.e. Im not sure if his type is excactly what dnb needs or if it's what dnb doesn't need at all. He's made some pretty good tracks though.

Btw the title of the doa thread where I got that set was something along the lines of "a pilled up paradox telling it like it is".:slanted:

I met Paradox once and we talked a little bit before and after his live set, he didn't seem to be arrogant or disillusioned at all. I think sometimes he's confrontational just to be a counterpoint to the usual backpatting and 'it's all good' mentality that's so common among the prominent heads in the scene, just to provoke some kind of reaction.

Don Rosco

I met Paradox once and we talked a little bit before and after his live set, he didn't seem to be arrogant or disillusioned at all. I think sometimes he's confrontational just to be a counterpoint to the usual backpatting and 'it's all good' mentality that's so common among the prominent heads in the scene, just to provoke some kind of reaction.

That's pretty much it. He's a lovely fella with strong opinions about music. It's only music after all!

kidkut

That's pretty much it. He's a lovely fella with strong opinions about music. It's only music after all!

Exactly, the night elgato is refering to above i can assume was my one Noir, Dev stayed at mine for a couple of days, he's a really nice guy, just likes to speak his mind.

dHarry

Anyone kept up with Doc Scott over the past few (10!) years? I suppose his Artcore comp. and The Unofficial Ghost-style tracks (tho' I still love its Alien/Terminator-like gleaming writhing futuroid hardcore mania) were maybe the beginning of the end, but he was a co-founder of Metalheadz and a great producer back in the day. Anyway, I just happened across his myspace and read this - it reads well, I wonder what his music is like now?

"Big shout to the people who have shown some love on my myspace,
just wanna say that I KNOW i lost my way from late 2003 to early 2005,
playing tunes that i should n't have been playing.
To those people who pulled me up, i say thank you, you know who you are.
Its not a nice feeling to fall out of love with the music you've been involved with since day 1,
its not a nice feeling to loose yourself and forget who you are and what you stand for!
I feel over the last 12 - 18 months ive found out who doc scott is again and ive fallen in love with dnb again, (the right kind of dnb!)

I think everyone is allowed 1 slip up in 17 years?

Anyway, enough blathering, im loving the music again and back in the studio, (strictly rollers!)

---

Now, if your serious about drum n bass, then this show is a must, marcus (soul:ution radio) bringing you PROPER dnb, not mainstream bullshit, not the crap that is getting churned out by you know who and played by you know who, but real, progressive, mature, dare i say, intelligent, drum n bass.
Whatever the label given, these are THE real beats, the future, remember drum n bass was suppossed to have an experimental ingredient in it, it was meant to be progressive, not stand still, not regress and end up being laughed at because it sounds like fucking toytown music!

We are now considered 'leftfield' within the drum n bass community, we being djs and producers like myself, left of what exactly god only knows!
But, do you know what, if im now 'leftfield' then thats cool because im the happiest ive been as a dj and as a producer since the days of the blue note (and thats over 10 years ago)

just Look at the music being made by marcus intalex, klute, calibre, d-bridge, the rebirth of goldie & jonny l, the new talent of people like dj vapour, lynx, sp & verese, lomax, i could go on and on and on ....
drum n bass is in a good place right now, if your looking in the right place that is?

Keep the faith, fuck the mainstream bullshit and learn to love music again!"

adruu

This Is It
anyone here from the old [breaks] listserv? i cant believe this argument is still going strong after so many years =)

Not trying to denigrate anyone's opinion. I think the fact that people still get so passionate about defending/slagging dnb is the effect it had on everyone the first time they were exposed to it.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Anyone kept up with Doc Scott over the past few (10!) years? I suppose his Artcore comp. and The Unofficial Ghost-style tracks (tho' I still love its Alien/Terminator-like gleaming writhing futuroid hardcore mania) were maybe the beginning of the end, but he was a co-founder of Metalheadz and a great producer back in the day. Anyway, I just happened across his myspace and read this - it reads well, I wonder what his music is like now?

listen to the clips as well ;)

The End of the Beginning EP doesn't sound too bad I think

Alfons

Way of the future
Now, if your serious about drum n bass, then this show is a must, marcus (soul:ution radio) bringing you PROPER dnb, not mainstream bullshit, not the crap that is getting churned out by you know who and played by you know who, but real, progressive, mature, dare i say, intelligent, drum n bass.
Whatever the label given, these are THE real beats, the future, remember drum n bass was suppossed to have an experimental ingredient in it, it was meant to be progressive, not stand still, not regress and end up being laughed at because it sounds like fucking toytown music!

We are now considered 'leftfield' within the drum n bass community, we being djs and producers like myself, left of what exactly god only knows!
But, do you know what, if im now 'leftfield' then thats cool because im the happiest ive been as a dj and as a producer since the days of the blue note (and thats over 10 years ago)

just Look at the music being made by marcus intalex, klute, calibre, d-bridge, the rebirth of goldie & jonny l, the new talent of people like dj vapour, lynx, sp & verese, lomax, i could go on and on and on ....
drum n bass is in a good place right now, if your looking in the right place that is?

Keep the faith, fuck the mainstream bullshit and learn to love music again!"

Marcus Intalex is doing the next fabriclive cd: http://www.residentadvisor.net/news.aspx?id=8724

While I really like the sort of stuff he's playing (D-Bridge, Calibre, Break etc, the "deeper" stuff), I find it sad that this kind of stuff is considered underground or leftfield in any way.

listen to the clips as well ;)

The End of the Beginning EP doesn't sound too bad I think

Has anyone heard a Doc Scott set recently?

I had my first raving experiences to tech step dnb, previously mentioned Ram and no u turn stuff, at time when it seemed like a saviour (well to an inexperienced youngster) when all clubbing experiences were awash with turgid house and plodding techno, it seemed like the darker, bit harder option I was looking for. I recently went to a breakcore night and it seemed to me the crowd there were pretty much the same type of kids who used to go to dnb stuff, the crowd does seem to have changed for dnb, reckon a lot of kids now just go straight for the breakcore type of stuff for a bit more bite, dnb is pretty much disregarded for daffy students and charvas (I'm from newcastle, we don't say chavs) and of course the old clingers on. What do you all think of stuff like DJ Hidden? Does that count as dnb or another genre?

adruu

This Is It
Yeah! From about 96 maybe? It's actually still going. There's like one mail every six months.

Wow it still exists? I'm not sure if that's good or bad! =) That list was my first intro into jungle and the Internet growing up in Houston. Jeez, I was like 17 or something...

I always thought the archives would be a great education on ridiculous internet flame wars, scenesterism, and just talking about music on the internet in general. I'm going to have to sign up and check the old posts out.

I know Reynolds used to post in there, plus a lot of the early US heads (jeffee/casper/texas kids/new york kids). Maybe Kode Nine also?

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I just picked up the Rufige Crew 12" - Malice / Vanilla. I think it's great! Probably haven't bought a new D&B record for 10 years.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
rare stuff might get you a tenner or so on ebay, but there's not much money in jungle unless you have test presses or massively limited stuff

did you check the mix john?

Code

Modern D&B ?

EXTREMELY varied.

There are so many different styles and sounds that I don't think you can listen to the whole spectrum and not like at least some of it - well, maybe if you don't like drums ! :D

There's something for everyone.

;)

zhao

there are no accidents
aparently Position Chrome is releasing new material. listening to some of these 12s is reigniting what i felt the first time i heard Low Profile Darkness -- absolute devastation. what ever objections people have about D'n'B becoming unsexy and over run by testosterone, that was a collosal, masterfully produced record with not a single dull moment in sight.

we can not go back in time. the only way is forward - and if that means delving into dark, alien, mechanical evil, and if all the girls get scared and run away, then so be it.

Last edited: