Pop Song Of The Year

SIZZLE

gasoline for haters
I heard that sean kingston in a burger joint yesterday and just assumed it was Akon.

I love the whole doo wop urban radio invasion that Akon has been leading. It's great! And I like this sean kingston tune, just the chorus is great endless repetition of 'suicidal' in the poppiest voice. Doesn't sound like it'll have much staying power, can see myself hating it soon but for now I like it as an alternative to all the bitches and hoes freaky freaky stuff thats around in r+b or whatever you'd compare this to.

Also I really like T-Pain's 'Buy You a Drank'. Dripping sugar pop summer music for grabassing on the dancefloor. Yes!

N

nomadologist

I heard that sean kingston in a burger joint yesterday and just assumed it was Akon.

I love the whole doo wop urban radio invasion that Akon has been leading. It's great! And I like this sean kingston tune, just the chorus is great endless repetition of 'suicidal' in the poppiest voice. Doesn't sound like it'll have much staying power, can see myself hating it soon but for now I like it as an alternative to all the bitches and hoes freaky freaky stuff thats around in r+b or whatever you'd compare this to.

Also I really like T-Pain's 'Buy You a Drank'. Dripping sugar pop summer music for grabassing on the dancefloor. Yes!

This is probably another thread, but have you seen all of the panel discussion (most notably, Oprah's) and different initiatives cropping up to clean up hip-hop lyrics and make hip-hop artists responsible to their audience? I can kind of see the industry's pendulum swinging away from gritty lyrics and back to this sort of sugar pop music like Akon and T-Pain, both of whom I love...and remind me of 50s and 60s songcrafted pop, at least in spirit.

nobody want to see us togeeethher

mos dan

fact music
*listens to beautiful girls for third time*

right, NOW i'm addicted. didn't take long.

check out 'me love' on here: http://www.seankingston.com/

and the sun's come out. ahhhhhhhhhhh... :cool:

so sean kingston then... his album doesn't seem to have a uk release date? why not??

N

nomadologist

zzcolombiathegoldenag_101b.jpg

70s music, but just reissued and made available. hottest thing i heard all year.

this looks great

gumdrops

i think the best pop song of the year is rihannas umbrella (without jay-z). i cant think of much thats been better. a lot of big 'pop' songs just havent been very 'poppy' IMO.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound

That blog's got 'domino dancing' up now, which is the only Pet Shop Boys song I like bar Paninaro. Obviously with this freestyle stuff none of you were subjected to gay clubs in the 80s, where, as a pre-grunge teen, one would sit and cry over not being able to hear anything else played, not even disco. It was so fucking depressing it was untrue, and I just can't with all this stuff, sorry. It brings back horrible, horrble memories.

Chris

fractured oscillations
This is probably another thread, but have you seen all of the panel discussion (most notably, Oprah's) and different initiatives cropping up to clean up hip-hop lyrics and make hip-hop artists responsible to their audience? I can kind of see the industry's pendulum swinging away from gritty lyrics and back to this sort of sugar pop music like Akon and T-Pain, both of whom I love...and remind me of 50s and 60s songcrafted pop, at least in spirit.

Yeah, I kinda hope this happens in RnB myself... I mean, the fact that the "King of RnB" R Kelly comes across as self parody (and as a parody of RnB in general) at this point, has to say something about the state of the genre right now! (Don't get me wrong, I love R Kelly... he's fucking hilarious... )

A return of a kind of oldschool innocence in RnB just might redeem it some tho... (not morally, but from cliche)

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
Yeah, I kinda hope this happens in RnB myself... I mean, the fact that the "King of RnB" R Kelly comes across as self parody (and as a parody of RnB in general) at this point, has to say something about the state of the genre right now! (Don't get me wrong, I love R Kelly... he's fucking hilarious... )

A return of a kind of oldschool innocence in RnB just might redeem it some tho... (not morally, but from cliche)

i don't know. okay we've all seen trapped in the closet and all agreed it's hilarious, but r kelly is an artist, not a parody. 'i'm a flirt' remix with t-pain and t.i. is a great song. the lyrical content ('r kelly is a playa', to sum it up) might sound cliched, but you could just argue it's a trope of the genre like shanking your enemies is in grime. above all, it's a great song, brilliantly written, brilliantly produced, and brilliantly sung.

i'm wary of this idea of 10million indie kids laughing at r kelly 'parodying' r'n'b in trapped in the closet and enjoying the music in an 'ironic' way. it's good music, okay? you can take your irony back to your hadouken concerts cheers.

(none of that aimed at you chris :) )

nomadologist, pls can you start that thread about oprah cleaning up hiphop?

Gavin

booty bass intellectual

Thing is, Akon and T-Pain are the most obvious successors to R. Kelly's smooth-n-explicit style of R&B. I do like most of their songs (good singing and catchy melodies which aren't dragged down by the excessive melismatics of so much female R&B), but they are anything but clean. Conservative pundit Michelle Malkin has a crusade going against Akon right now; I think she's cost him some endorsements.

Chris

fractured oscillations
i don't know. okay we've all seen trapped in the closet and all agreed it's hilarious, but r kelly is an artist, not a parody. 'i'm a flirt' remix with t-pain and t.i. is a great song. the lyrical content ('r kelly is a playa', to sum it up) might sound cliched, but you could just argue it's a trope of the genre like shanking your enemies is in grime. above all, it's a great song, brilliantly written, brilliantly produced, and brilliantly sung.

i'm wary of this idea of 10million indie kids laughing at r kelly 'parodying' r'n'b in trapped in the closet and enjoying the music in an 'ironic' way. it's good music, okay? you can take your irony back to your hadouken concerts cheers.

:) Oh yeah, I do realize that R Kelly is quite serious, which is why I find him so hilarious! But yeah, love his music either way... And if anything, his over-the-top, unintentionally funny songs kind of make all the rnb cliches seem fresh. One of my very favorite hit-makers out there right now...

Thing is, Akon and T-Pain are the most obvious successors to R. Kelly's smooth-n-explicit style of R&B. I do like most of their songs (good singing and catchy melodies which aren't dragged down by the excessive melismatics of so much female R&B), but they are anything but clean. Conservative pundit Michelle Malkin has a crusade going against Akon right now; I think she's cost him some endorsements.

Yeah, you have a point... I guess it's more the tone I like, Akon is definitely no angel (not that I mean these guys should be, who is anymore, esp in RnB?) The lack of melisma is the main thing I'm happy to see for sure. This "sing-rapping" thing R Kelly started will probably get played out pretty fast as well, but for now it's def a welcome alternative IMO to all the the histrionic wankery of that last how many years? :confused:

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Pop song of the year so far: "Song for Mutya", no doubt about it. Has all the ingredients of an instant pop classic: self-reference, use of unusual pop words, killer chorus, and just impeccable phrasing. Shits all over that tepid first single.

Akon - whatever else he's done, have we already forgiven him for 'Lonely', the worst song never recorded by the Crazy Frog (although perhaps it has been?)?

I thought the music on 'Trapped in the Closet' was v good (although, um, repetitive) - but the concept was, er, slightly misjudged. People are only laughing at R Kelly in the same way that they laughed at Rick Wakeman's Arthur on Ice in the 70s - don't think it's any more sinister than that...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Whenever I see a piece of plastic packaging with a "WARNING: keep this wrapper away from children" printed on it, I can't help but think of R Kelly.

(OK, so he's not really a rapper, but it's still funny. :))