Pop Song Of The Year

N

nomadologist

nomadologist, pls can you start that thread about oprah cleaning up hiphop?

haha! oprah does whatever she wants to do. i have no doubt that if she gets behind the effort to clean up hip-hop, it will be successful.

i agree about finding r. kelly good in an ironic way--i think if anything, r&b is formally kind of stale, with a lot of songs with lots of "feeling" but very little melody to help drive the momentum of the song...i don't appreciate people who otherwise wouldn't like r&b finding it "parodically" hilarious. (not htat chris was doing that)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
haha! oprah does whatever she wants to do. i have no doubt that if she gets behind the effort to clean up hip-hop, it will be successful.

i agree about finding r. kelly good in an ironic way--i think if anything, r&b is formally kind of stale, with a lot of songs with lots of "feeling" but very little melody to help drive the momentum of the song...i don't appreciate people who otherwise wouldn't like r&b finding it "parodically" hilarious. (not htat chris was doing that)

But people are finding R Kelly hilarious cos of the acting/lyrics to Trapped in the Closet, not the music/melody. Or at least that's the way I interpret it. I like RnB, including some of R Kelly's stuff, but he's made himself look a bit stupid here (have you seen the commentary on the DVD? Jaw-dropping.)

Re Oprah, I quite liked that Killer Mike track, 'That's Life', which laid into Oprah pretty heavily. (And was pretty catchy too)

N

nomadologist

I understand, Bab, and I honestly think his "people" have used the public's reception of him as a comic figure to keep him afloat under circumstances that could've sunk a lot of musicians. Still, there's something that feels really "off" to me when people who primarily love "indie rock" get into r&b or hip-hop or any other genre dominated by black performers and look down on it from a condescending POV, as if they're saying "look at me, isn't it funny that Im deigning to listen to this silly, 'inauthentic' music?"

Not everyone who finds R Kelly funny fits in that category, but in my experience, a good number of them do.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I understand, Bab, and I honestly think his "people" have used the public's reception of him as a comic figure to keep him afloat under circumstances that could've sunk a lot of musicians. Still, there's something that feels really "off" to me when people who primarily love "indie rock" get into r&b or hip-hop or any other genre dominated by black performers and look down on it from a condescending POV, as if they're saying "look at me, isn't it funny that Im deigning to listen to this silly, 'inauthentic' music?"

Not everyone who finds R Kelly funny fits in that category, but in my experience, a good number of them do.

Yeah, there is a danger of his being perceived as some kind of modern minstrel figure, definitely. I've actually had a couple of conversations about this kind of 'looking down upon' black music/performers issue recently, and it is a really difficult one to come to any conclusions about; the lingering suspicion being, I guess, that were a white performer to do similarly, (s)he wouldn't be judged so harshly. And of course, on Dissensus there was that huge discussion about Hadouken/JME/grime.

I don't have any answer to that, really.

Aside: having watched Trapped in the Closet a couple of times, I was torn between finding it very funny, and seeing a kind of twisted genius to it all. After all, a lot of opera has a silly plot, and R Kelly, in virtually inventing a new genre and in the scale of his ambition, has to be applauded to some extent.

I think "Zoo" off the new R Kelly album is one of the greatest things I've ever heard, to be honest. Any song that has the word "sexasaurus" in it can't be a bad thing.
link- http://www.zshare.net/download/2008201091074e/

I'm torn about him, though, and this album completely sums up the issue. He's got a great background of lyrically filthy RnB and then overwrought ballads to counteract (I like very little of it, but it's commercially huge so I'm an idiot), he sings the theme tune to Space Jam then gets caught pissing on jailbait. Constantly going one way then another, I'm generalising but without it I'd have no point.

The album's the same. Half of it is relatively normal, but it goes off the deep end over five or six tracks that, lyrically, are about as weird as I've ever heard in mainstream music. Sex Planet, for example, or Real Talk, or..

Chris

fractured oscillations
I agree that "ironically" liking anything needs to end, and I really do like R Kelly's music... but really, how could anyone not find him funny? "Sexasaurus?!" :p

I love how there's never even a hint in his facade that any of it is supposed to even be at least a little bit funny.. He always has such an earnest, self-important look on his face...

I dunno, I have to respect anyone though who takes the kind of creative risks that he does (especially these days)... bless him.

Last edited:

MankyFiver

it sounds fucking awful

i just picture little kids doing 'street dancing' to it

makes me sick

but id be happy if the little kids licked my sick up

tom pr

Surely the pop song of the year is Matthew Dear's 'Deserter'. I remember reading a blog (don't remember which though) that said it sounded like Johnny Cash with a vocoder, which is a great description. I'm a sucker for songs that sound like a massive statement of an artist's life, and this fits the bill.

I also love the chorus on 'The Sweet Escape' far too much.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Surely the pop song of the year is Matthew Dear's 'Deserter'. I remember reading a blog (don't remember which though) that said it sounded like Johnny Cash with a vocoder, which is a great description. I'm a sucker for songs that sound like a massive statement of an artist's life, and this fits the bill.

I also love the chorus on 'The Sweet Escape' far too much.

Can't do the Deserter one, sounds like sixth form music to me. That Sweet Esacpe tune though does my head in, not in a bad way, I like the way it sounds like damage.

If someone came up to you looking like that song sounds, would you fuck it or walk away?

tom pr

Is that Kirsty Macoll on yr avatar? Respect, and to yr missus, ask her what her opinion is on threesomes, in that context.
Nah, it's Nellie McKay. I've always meant to get some Kirsty MacColl records in though. Like your average pleb, all I have is a Fairytale of New York 7''... ;)

I don't really know what I'd think about Sweet Escape if it was a girl. There's something proper mental about the chorus; desperate enough to conjure up a whole world in her head just to get her bloke and she's openly telling him this. You know he's not getting away even if he's not interested. But it's such a great chorus that you'd probably never turn it down, no matter what the consequences...

As for the threesome question, I'm not gonna dare. At best, I'll get a scolding. At worst, she'll agree but only if Akon gets involved, and I'm not having that bastard show me up.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Nah, it's Nellie McKay. I've always meant to get some Kirsty MacColl records in though. Like your average pleb, all I have is a Fairytale of New York 7''... ;)

I don't really know what I'd think about Sweet Escape if it was a girl. There's something proper mental about the chorus; desperate enough to conjure up a whole world in her head just to get her bloke and she's openly telling him this. You know he's not getting away even if he's not interested. But it's such a great chorus that you'd probably never turn it down, no matter what the consequences...

As for the threesome question, I'm not gonna dare. At best, I'll get a scolding. At worst, she'll agree but only if Akon gets involved, and I'm not having that bastard show me up.

It's the milk references that make me go "actually Gwen, you're a married lady, thanks but no thanks, you psycho bitch"

If I could escape
I would, but first of all let me say
I must apologize for acting, stinking, treating you this way
Cause I've been acting like sour milk fell on the floor
It's your fault you didn't shut the refridgerator
Maybe that's the reason I've been acting so cold

If I could escape
And re-create a place as my own world
And I could be your favorite girl
Forever, perfectly together
Tell me boy, now wouldn't that be sweet?

If I could be sweet
I know I've been a real bad girl
I didn't mean for you to get hurt
Forever, we can make it better
Tell me boy, Now wouldn't that be sweet?
Sweet escape

(I wanna get away, to our sweet escape)

You let me down
I'm at my lowest boiling point
Come help me out
I need to get me out of this joint
Come on, let's bounce
Counting on you to turn me around
Instead of clowning around let's look for some common ground

So baby, times getting a little crazy
I've been getting a little lazy
Waiting for you to come save me
I can see that you're angry
[ The Sweet Escape lyrics found on http://www.completealbumlyrics.com ]
By the way the you treat me
Hopefully you don't leave me
Want to take you with me

If I could escape
And re-create a place as my own world

If I could be sweet
Sweet escape

Whohoe, whihoo
Whohoe, whihoo
Whohoe, whihoo
Whohoe, whihoo

If I could escape

Cause I've been acting like sour milk fell on the floor
It's your fault you didn't shut the refridgerator
Maybe that's the reason I've been acting so cold

If I could escape
And re-create a place in my own world

If I could be sweet
Sweet escape

"I'm sorry but I don't think it would be sweet, but thanks anyway babe"

And doesn't Akon just need to die? Or would girls just like him more then? I just dunno how to deal with that problem at all.

tom pr

I still don't get how Akon is treated as a respectable artist. If you or me did Mr. Lonely, it would be a long time before anyone took us seriously again...

zhao

there are no accidents
heard a new Cham tune with an American girl rapping on it recently... shit hot. anyone know what it is?