bassline house

mos dan

fact music
I'm so glad this exists:

that is a lot of fun. i know what you mean about the vocal elgato, as much as it's a classic. never really liked the whiney 'i'm soooreEEEEEYY' bit.

thanks for the mix iKoss. will listen as soon as i can :)

elgato

I just dont know
thanks for the kind werds fellas.. i figured that at least some of that had to fare decently with yous'.
and elgato, i guess we would have to agree to disagree on heartbroken.. i am kinda under the impression that your opinion, at least in part, is due to the exposure you have prolly had to that tune?

in fact, im willing to bet that if i list the tunes just in that set alone which are really doing that whole, northern, upfront, more-mainstream, niche kinda vibe. that if you give them comparable play-time. you might change your mind? seems established that with additional listens, any tracks portrayal will change somehow, yea?
sure some of that darker stuff were prolly just never destined to be chart busters.

also not sure how you rank the importance of original vocals on this particular gauge either? cause i have mixed feelings on this. as i know many fantastic re-works which i cherish much more so than the originals. and yet do feel somehow further indebted to the artist who is working from scratch you know?

also later on i shall list some more tunes from the last few years which i feel are worth checking out to see if they might meet your pop-status standards, lol..

again, thanks for having a listen. :D

No thank you for posting it!

I need to stress again that i dont necessarily see a song with greater pop appeal as being superior to one which doesnt have such appeal, far from it in fact. But i think its possible to separate tastes from analytical ear to ask why something is (or could be) becoming popular while another isn't. I do of course accept that my lack of exposure to the scene affects my perspective. But I think its also important to remember that immersion in a genre will do the same, especially when asking how the music is percieved by people who are new to it (pop audiences).

But I do think that hype obviously plays a big role in people latching onto particular tracks, and can sympathise with your frustration.

One of the main things I would point to about Heartbroken is the way in which the bassline operates. The degree of interaction with the vocal, the way the bassline cushions and incorporates the vocal, it soothes and caresses, as opposed to being banging, propulsive and in your face with a vocal riding it. It seems to operate more like a traditional instrument interacting with a vocal in pop rather than rhythm tracks in dance music. Again, thats definitely not to say that ones better than the other, just that they're different, and will be engaged with differently. I also think that the intensity and complexity of the basslines in a lot of the other stuff just wont really appeal to mainstream audiences

boomnoise

♫
dj d&g vs dezz jones ft jamakabi - how we do

this is percy of mine. i like the way the vocalist sounds like flow dan. in fact it's quite skeng like. only bassline.

elgato

I just dont know
dj d&g vs dezz jones ft jamakabi - how we do

this is percy of mine. i like the way the vocalist sounds like flow dan. in fact it's quite skeng like. only bassline.

yeh that one is ruffff. feeling the female vocal numbers on that mix most though, Be Without You and More Time in particular

continuum

smugpolice
Some recent club footage:

<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>

IKoss

Wild Horses
hmmm, and speaking of d+g/dezz choons. and sheffield as well..

seems a good time to drop in a clip of a track which is tied with about 18 other tracks for my favorite tune from the last few years..

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

im the guy who is screamin brap-brap-brap even before the drop lol, i kid.

i absolutely love-love-love, d+g/dezz tunes !!!

in fact all of the following tunes are in my list of all time 'percy's..
check all of these tunes out. i dont play around, bwahaha.

- of coarse the 'vianne/love fool' and - 'how we do' tracks
- 'gold digga'
- 'lady-like'
- 'oh no'
- 'take me in'
- 'other woman'
- 'eyes on me'
- 'ride away'
- 'da dancehall'
- 'sexy senorita'(might be a dezz solo cut)
- and dezz certainly has other solo tunes

my gawd, i could seemingly rant on end about this, i know..

I think I need to hear some of this stuff out, it just doesn't click for me in mixes or anything else posted. I don't know, I just get flashbacks to Scouse House when I was in my early teens; it just sounds like bad garage to me.

Think I might venture down to Sheffield in a week or two, try and make sense of all this. Any nights closer to Liverpool that anyone knows about?

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
There is no way in hell anyone will convince me that this music is going to become a long-standing cultural institution for urban britain.

It's good and all, but let's all be honest - can anyone see this shit lasting for longer than 2 years at the VERY VERY most?

a) We've all heard it before
b) There isn't a hell of a lot that you can do with it

This is all just a load of hype. Good for T2.

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
There is no way in hell anyone will convince me that this music is going to become a long-standing cultural institution for urban britain.

It's good and all, but let's all be honest - can anyone see this shit lasting for longer than 2 years at the VERY VERY most?

it's already been around over 5 years, longer than hardcore (rave), which still resonates

IKoss

Wild Horses

ha. how is it that you havent noticed that this music has served as the north's version of house music.. like any and all house music. and freakin 2step as well, for that matter? combined even..

like it or not. for better or worse.. the time-span the rest of the world spent experiencing the whole of house music. and the uk with all it's post-jungle/hardcore, and all subsequent spawns. the north were whole-heartedly adjoined to these flavors.

i wont debate how far south, or how widespread it may ultimately reach..
but seriously, it's rather silly to deny it's place in the grand-scheme.
as far as 'becoming long-standing cultural institution for urban britain'..
sorry too late bruv.

unless of coarse you are one of these cats who feels like london, exclusively, is indicative of the entire uk?
or manhattan, new york, etc etc..

o and i especially dug that first piece, mpc. twas' the noice.

Last edited:

gumdrops

i really like this stuff, based on that mix that was posted in this thread. its fun. some of the vocals are too bland/poppy, but a lot of the tracks are really good. all other genres seem to be revisiting some element of the past, for better or worse, people might as well do the same with house/ukg....

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i wont debate how far south, or how widespread it may ultimately reach..
but seriously, it's rather silly to deny it's place in the grand-scheme.
as far as 'becoming long-standing cultural institution for urban britain'..
sorry too late bruv.

unless of coarse you are one of these cats who feels like london, exclusively, is indicative of the entire uk?
or manhattan, new york, etc etc..

Or of course you are one of those people who think that when I say "britain" I'm referring to "northern england".

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Interesting reading the comments on the worryingly familiar youtube video ("we're not the thought police" - oh no? then why do you dictate what people listen to...), which reflect what the Heatseaker camp were saying on 1Xtra earlier this year, that is that bassline and 4x4 are related but different.

"burnsy2k6:

the police are fuckin stupid , blamin bassline , its not even bassline where all the crime is for a start , its 4x4 , i hate these fuckin idiotic people who confuse the 2 and blame bassline bcoz 4x4 sounds similar so they class it all as one genre, the police need to do there fuckin research, this just gives all the lovers of bassline a bad name. most of the music of this fuckin on this video is 4x4, shaun banger scott , jamie duggan & dj q are fuckin 4x4 dj's."

anyone got a clear definition on this?

btw i went into HMV Oxford street the other day and there was about 10 different bassline/house tape packs. couldnt work out if it was south house or north. shame they can't fucking manage to stock grime...

I don't get the difference.

I don't think it's fair to say it's a Northern sound, either, because this certainly hasn't penetrated Liverpool, Manchester seems to be all Grime (with their own pirates full of decent shit, no less). For example. My cousin lives in Newcastle and he hadn't heard of it, of course that just could be him.

gumdrops

dj q's show on 1xtra is good...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/djq/

some of this stuff does sound quite grime influenced, so im not sure saying its *just* a repeat of speed garage/2step holds water. but then, maybe its just that the elements that sound grime-ish were derived from garage in the first place. i like it anyway - nice change from 'IM ANGRYYYYYY!' grime and 'IM DARRRRKKKKKKKK!' dubstep.