Blackdown

nexKeysound
Krust's Soul in Motion, Genetic Manipulation EP and True Stories will never die. I've heard junglists talk about those three as a holy trinity.

I remember hearing Doc Scott play Soul in Motion on dub and it blew my head off...

gumdrops

what would dissensus say are the best dubstep shows to listen to at the mo? not straight wobble/straight down the line dubstep but maybe a bit of that and less predictable stuff? anti social?

mos dan

fact music
what would dissensus say are the best dubstep shows to listen to at the mo? not straight wobble/straight down the line dubstep but maybe a bit of that and less predictable stuff? anti social?

yeah i could do with some recommendations/links to things beyond the wonderful worlds of hessle and blackdown&dusk... fire up some links, people. i just can't face trawling through dsforum anymore..

BareBones

wheezy
that guido mix (which is probably about 20 pages back or so in this thread) if you haven't heard it already. It's all guido and joker tunes but it's well good. haven't been listening to much dubstep at all for a while now but that guido mix was wicked.

optimum

Poochie
New mini mix by Ikonika taken from Ballers/Lucky Me website

http://www.sendspace.com/file/80990i

Ikonika (Hyperdub, London, UK)

Mini Mix Feb

Ballers Social Club

Tracklist:

Kode9-2 Far Gone (Hyperdub)

Ghostleigh-Places (Ghostleigh)

Darkstar-Aidy’s Girl is a Computer (Hyperdub Dubplate)

Ikonika-Millie (Hyperdub)

Mujava-Township Funk (Ikonika’s Nexus-6 Remix) (Warp)

Madd-Starless Night (Dubplate)

Joker-Digidesign (Hyperdub)

Zomby-1 Up (Hyperdub)

Ikonika-Phonelines V.I.P (Dubplate)

Kode9 VS LD-Bad (Hyperdub)

Ikonika-Loser (Hyperdub Dubplate)

Anti-Social shows are uniformly excellent I think.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Genetic Manipulation EP

The Last Day on this EP is the one...possibly in the top 5 jungle tunes of all time and certainly Krust's best ever tune (imo).

I've never really thought of the similarities, in terms of sonics I associate Pev with more of Scotty's productions but I can see the link in vibe definitely.

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo
I think they're all great to be honest. I haven't heard Clunk Click or Waterfalls on a loud enough system yet, Bluez I listened to as loud as possible on headphones recently which might be some sort of a substitute. I love those chords in Clunk Click - icy chords seem to be the order of the day with Pinch and Pev at the moment... Bluez has just got that pounding sub onslaught, gives me that feeling that Burial talked about tunes having 'the thousand yard stare' or whatever, sort of a trance/zone-out sensation (having said that I was fucking battered when I listened to it haha)... Bluez feels like a mesmeric techno tune in this respect - there's the same thing in Waterfalls RMX with the arpeggios cascading all over the place (the second drop in that tune is shocking). But there's the big sub hits and rhythmic skittishness of jungle too, I suppose...

I need to buy more Pev tunes. I remember 'The Grind' getting played at subloaded in Bristol, sitting against the back wall with my internal organs being shaken vigorously.

I was interested to read the RA interview with him where he says he thinks of his music as closer to jungle than techno, and talks about the influence of mid 90s rollers on his sound.

Infinity is Now has to be my favourite Pev tune. I can definitely appreciate the way he seems to be surely and definitively honing his sound, seemingly chiselling away at each element, revealing new subtleties and getting closer to some sort of 'essence'. But, at the same time, I love the comparative rawness of Infinity, that nearly-unconstrained joyous synth which reminds me of the euphoria of trance (in a non-cheesy way). Can't help but bruk out hard every time I hear it. And thats depite its relative near-ubiquitiousness since its release on vinyl a year or so ago.

Bluez, if its the one I'm thinking of, is ridiculously good though. In fact, every new Pev tune seems absolutely immense and he seems to be on, for me at least, one of the hottest streaks of form within the broad field of dubstep.

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo

I don't know how much it is about the regular radio shows these days. Ruffage Sessions on Sub FM, Blackdown & Dusk, Anti-Social and Chef/LD on Rinse are all routinely brilliant. And you could do a lot worse than check out Elgato, Unsettla/Wiggle Baron and Whistla on Sub FM too.

But recently my favourite sets/mixes have been one-off free-to-download mixes. That Untold podcast and (although I've only listened to it the once!) Brackles mix listed above are sick. Plus, off the top of my head, Ben UFO's Reprise mix, Oneman live at Night Slugs, Ramadanman's Resident Advisor mix, Peverelist live at Phonica 5th Birthday and Bok Bok's Vice mix and Night Slugs promo mix are well worth tracking down. I guess some of those aren't quite dubstep but nevermind. Its all music ;)

elgato

I just dont know
In fact, every new Pev tune seems absolutely immense

Erstwhile Rhythm/The Grind
Roll With The Punches
Infinity Is Now
Circling
Winkelstreben Remix
You Bring Me Down Remix
Clunk Click Every Trip

Waterfalls Remix
Esperanto
The Blues

stupid

there's practically no-one who currently tests, across the board, imo

viktorvaughn

Erstwhile Rhythm/The Grind
Roll With The Punches
Infinity Is Now
Circling
Winkelstreben Remix
You Bring Me Down Remix
Clunk Click Every Trip

Waterfalls Remix
Esperanto
The Blues

stupid

there's practically no-one who currently tests, across the board, imo

Is there a mix with a load of his stuff in, i'm a bit out of the loop...

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Peverelist Live @ Phonica 5th Birthday

http://www.mediafire.com/?lmzz54iyq4t

1. Turbulence - Notorious
2. Scuba - Twitch (Jamie Vex'd RMX)
3. Gemmy - Bass Transmiter
4. Roni Size - Don't Hold Back (Joker RMX) Instrumental
5. Joker - Untitled.rsn
6. RSD - Over It
7. 2nd II None - Waterfalls (Peverelist RMX)
8. Pevrelist - Dub
9. Peverelist - The Blues (or bluez)
10. STP aka. Shed - The Fall (Peverelist RMX)
11. Peverelist - Esperanto (dub)
12. Pinch - Midnight Oil
13. Peverelist - On & On
14. " - " " "
15. Shackleton - You Bring Me Down (peverelist remix) (~scape)
18. Peverelist - Infinity Is Now
19. 2562 - Dub
20. Mala - City Cycle
21. Henry & Louie - Rise Up (RSD RMX)
22. Martyn - Vancouver (2562 RMX)
23. 2562 - Kontrol
24. Pinch vs Peverelist - Revival (dub)
25. Pinch - Joyride (tectonic)
26. Guido - Orchestral Lab

Big big set.

One thing I find with Pev tunes is that when you mix with them you have to boost the volume massively. I think this has actually led me to underrate some of his tunes... they do really need to be heard on a decent rig.

Last edited: