wonk_vitesse

radio eros
Was ace, i think it must've been Pastician in 3rd base laying down all this ridiculously dark grimey breaks stuff from a few years back. The other room upstairs ended up turning up the main room sound but it was strange this huge extended bar area, normally the main room. So many other magic moments, i lost count, not been for a while , great to hear so many new sounds. The sound in the main room is still incredible, it's as much to do with the room/people mass as the PA i rkon.

Last edited:

elgato

I just dont know
yeh a pretty fat one. ld & quest were the undoubted highlight for me, that outrageous mix from Quest left me pretty rinsed though! but some absolutely wicked tunes, feeling LD more and more these days, his productions are so good. D1 was sick too, standardly!

but it felt like a really nice occassion, coki giving thanks on the mic, overall a really nice vibe from all in the booth and that, it felt like a birthday! when mala dropped anti-war dub first tune it was a deep moment

3rd base was wicked, oneman and benny ill played some sick tunes! missed plasticman's classic set though :/

systems in both rooms were superb, and the vibes were so so good

Last edited:

UFO over easy

online mahjong
The sound in the main room is still incredible, it's as much to do with the room/people mass as the PA i rkon.

there was an extra stack in the left corner.. not sure if that's a permanent fixture now or not but it made a world of difference in a room which has been a bit of a disappointment soundwise for quite a few of the last events there. it sounded far better than it has done before in there certainly. I remember a couple of nights where you really needed to be standing directly in front of one of the stacks to get any proper weight out of it, anywhere near the DJ booth was fairly useless

elgato said:
feeling LD more and more these days, his productions are so good

he's a deep guy, his dancing was wicked when he was in the mix as well :D

continuum

smugpolice
DMZ 3rd Birthday
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
anyone else hear the scuba album? I really like it. a real detroit/berlin thing.

Yeah, it's fantastic! Had it for ages :). Paul is on fire right now, the singles are magnificent too.

There's an extensive interview with Scuba about the album in the new issue of Woofah, which will be out very soon - at the printers now.

viktorvaughn

El-B, Appleblim, Chef and D1 at FWD this Friday. That is a pretty tasty line-up in my book. Not seen Chef for ages, whose beats does he play nowadays?

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Yeah, it's fantastic! Had it for ages :). Paul is on fire right now, the singles are magnificent too.

There's an extensive interview with Scuba about the album in the new issue of Woofah, which will be out very soon - at the printers now.

Chuh! Shameless Self Promotion! :rolleyes: Will look forward to reading it.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
did anyone check magnetic man and geiom doing live PAs down cargo last night? how did it go?

viktorvaughn said:
Not seen Chef for ages, whose beats does he play nowadays?

Chef is still a badman - he's a dancefloor DJ really but his energy is so infectious and he's one of the only big name guys who really represents different styles - he plays Peverelist, Toastyboy and Martyn alongside Skream, Benga and Coki.. and he's one of the only people who plays LD tunes for some criminal reason.

great lineup actually, I might go check it

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

did anyone check magnetic man and geiom doing live PAs down cargo last night? how did it go?

Chef is still a badman - he's a dancefloor DJ really but his energy is so infectious and he's one of the only big name guys who really represents different styles - he plays Peverelist, Toastyboy and Martyn alongside Skream, Benga and Coki.. and he's one of the only people who plays LD tunes for some criminal reason.

great lineup actually, I might go check it

OK cool.

Cargo: Maximum played some nice grime bits, Flowdan and Killa P did good PA of Skeng and Jah War, there were three PAs by others (Beezy sounded terrible, the two women were good. Katy was one who has done that big funky tune no? She vocalled Classic Deluxe or a slightly tweaked version of it). Magnetic Man were...OK. Basically a normal sounding dubstep set with a bit of live dubbing/FX. I don't know how all the technical stuff works but there didn't sound like much live or improv elements. Could be wrong on that though. Is Geiom a skinny mixed-race Asian guy? He was on before Maximashman and was playing some really nice stuff actually. Quite chilled.

And quite a few of the tunes I wasn't feeling (too techy, not enough soul and swing, same old moans blablabla). Left before the end as was flagging a bit. I can't really say I have enjoyed the last three dubstep nights I've been to that much. I'm going to give FWD a chance this Friday. I will actually weep if El-B plays loads of new dub/halfstep and none of his classic stuff though. But if I'm not feeling FWD looks like it's just minimal and bassline/ukg/grime night for me!

Last edited:

outraygeous

quick review of magnetic man

got there early and was a whos who of dubstep

1st dj who i dont know played some dub and then hip hop, next asian dj played dubstep and a north wheezy remix

maximum and spyro went back to back and got it moving with grime.

pas by

a girl from nottingham - baby k i think. didnt like that
a white girl singing on a tune (part 3 or something)
beezy did a good pa
killa p and flowdan over some bug tunes killed it.

onto the 'live set'

there was a big black puppet tent on stage and the 3 perfomers were in it wering white hoodies.

(think willy wonka and the chocolate factory when they make the tv food, shrinky scene.)

anyway, benga was stage left, artwork middle and skream on the right.

artwork work was directing things, they started off with 'ok whats happening, is everything cool' with sci fi over dubs, this moved into the KILLER 26 basslines which was like 200 as Benga kept changing it up, moved into some other big skream tunes, names im not aware of.

all had added over dubs of sci fi sounds and co-op esq lazer blips.

i didnt stay to the end but laptop shows dont do much for me anyway but its a good idea and they have the whole 'daft punk' stage show thing going on.

hi lights

Benga doing the running man on an empty dancefloor
Sarah grabbing someones camera and dragging him out of the club
Spyro and Max going b2b