mos dan

fact music
hatcha actually asked on the dsf fwd thread what people wanted to hear, old or new, so if you want a 2002-4/5 set get on there and spam it!

straight

wings cru
dsforum is pretty hard to take any more, its full of euroweirds asking skream to make progressive house tunes. Love dont come easy is an interesting departure though, possibly clearing the path for dubstep DJs mixing for more than 4 bars

UFO over easy

online mahjong
dsforum is pretty hard to take any more, its full of euroweirds asking skream to make progressive house tunes. Love dont come easy is an interesting departure though, possibly clearing the path for dubstep DJs mixing for more than 4 bars

what a strange post...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
that's one person and he's from leicester! hehe.. it is a strange place these days though, I agree. Lots of different people on different vibes. That's cool though.

I also didn't understand the bit about four bar mixing.. who are you listening to? Who's building tunes for a format like that? The way most dubstep is structured is perfectly suited to long blends, and I might not be remembering right but doesn't this tune have a standard 32 bar intro?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Skream/Coki/Loefah/Mala tunes used to have (and might still have) really short beatless intros, they seemed tailor made for mixing so they dropped on their own.

But that was about two years ago.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I can't think of many like that corps.. if any.. twisup has a 32 bar intro with a bars gap so it has to drop on its own.. almost every skream tune I own has a 16 bar intro apart from some of the really early ones which are 8.. all the old loefah i own is mixable, as with mala and coki, although coki tunes do mix weird.. cos they are weird.

by 2005-6 the music being made by every name you mention there was being tailored to youngsta basically, so built for blends.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Well you can blend them obviously but a tune like Mud for example seems to me to be designed to drop on its own for maximum impact... I dunno, I'm just used to DNB where every intro is far too long and designed for DJs to double drop with...

UFO over easy

online mahjong
that's probably it :) mud doesn't have tick tock hi hats or anything but it's still mixable from the intro, and double dropable too.. I think it sounds good in the mix as well. And Ruffage is one of the most mixable tunes of all time :D

this actually isnt very interesting is it..

Last edited:

straight

wings cru
that's one person and he's from leicester! hehe.. it is a strange place these days though, I agree. Lots of different people on different vibes. That's cool though.

I also didn't understand the bit about four bar mixing.. who are you listening to? Who's building tunes for a format like that? The way most dubstep is structured is perfectly suited to long blends, and I might not be remembering right but doesn't this tune have a standard 32 bar intro?

yeah sorry i derailed what i was saying by trolling a bit. i was exaggerating to be a ballbag really. What I should have commented on is that the bass and percussion stay out of the way for several minutes before a complete change of pace 2/3 through. Its a change from the more rigid structures guys like skream deal in to a looser, more drawn out vibe. I was originally thought it had more crossover potential to techno DJs (a la shackleton) though after another listen that break in the second half is a bit too ropily done.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
reminds me of breakage's half time dnb a bit.. quite nice, rolls out pleasantly, but not a lot happens and nothing really going on harmonically

would sound cool on a rig I reckon, and would break up a set nicely. a good mixing tool for sure.

mos dan

fact music

i've always enjoyed the two-minute long blends plastician and oneman sometimes do. 'making songs within songs' as mc guy says :)