Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
this actually isnt very interesting is it..
ALL this stuff about song structures is absolutely fascinating, it's what I am thinking / worrying about all the time.

In particular, it seems as if some tunes are using 3x4 = 12 bar sections rather than 4x4 = 16 bar sections... the really good producers kind of obscure what the structure is with odd little drops and admixtures. And the blended stuff from 2562 and Martyn... wow. Hard to tell just what the structure is!

UFO over easy

online mahjong
ALL this stuff about song structures is absolutely fascinating, it's what I am thinking / worrying about all the time.

In particular, it seems as if some tunes are using 3x4 = 12 bar sections rather than 4x4 = 16 bar sections... the really good producers kind of obscure what the structure is with odd little drops and admixtures. And the blended stuff from 2562 and Martyn... wow. Hard to tell just what the structure is!

structure really isn't what makes any of that stuff interesting to me.. martyn and 2562 don't generally have particularly out of the ordinary structures. some little fills here and there maybe, like the extra four bars before the bass drops on the broken hearts remix.. but generally the arrangements and bar structures are no more complex than a skream tune. we're still talking about dance music.. for me what makes these little touches effective is the fact that when there are little fills and embellishments, it's not for the sake of it. it adds to the flow of the music rather than really necessitating that you think hard about what you're listening to. headhunter does this well also.

Last edited:

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus

Yes structure can be very fascinating although I try and not worry about structure so much- otherwise i become insanely analytical about it and nothing gets created.

It's more about flow in my mind.

I like a live or an emulation of live sound creation type approach- where the structure of the music is almost hidden and things unfold gradually. Sort of like a recursion based additive and subtractive approach while also using mixer as an instrument - making changes based on feeling rather than logic. I think both 2562 and martyn are using a little bit of that type of approach in their creations as well and that is why I enjoy what they do so much.

Last edited:

dubble-u-c

Dorkus Maximus
also dubstep allstars 6 mixed by appleblim is out
http://www.dubplate.net/Search.aspx?search_term=dubstep+allstars+6&narrow=

2008 / 18trks mix CD / TEMPA

1. Peverelist - Gather (Dub)
2. Peverelist & Appleblim - Circling (Skull Disco)
3. Pinch feat. Yolanda - Get Up (Tectonic)
4. 2562 - Moog Dub (Tectonic)
5. Martyn - Suburbia (Apple Pips)
6. Jus Wan - Action Potential (Apple Pips / Dub)
7. 2562 - Morvern Dub (Tectonic)
8. TRG & Selector Dub U - Harajuku (Tempa? / Dub) :)
9. Peverelist - Infinity Is Now (Tectonic)
10. Skream - Percression (Dub)
11. RSD - Pretty Bright Light (Punch Drunk)
12. Mungo's Hi Fi - Babylon (Dub)
13. Komonazmuk - Bad Apple (Hench)
14. Komonazmuk & Gatekeeper - Cheeky Herbert (Dub)
15. TRG - Decisions (Tempa / Dub)
16. TRG - Put U Down - Ramadanman Remix (Hessle Audio)
17. TRG - Broken Hearts - Martyn Remix (Hessle Audio)
18. Geiom feat. Marita - Reminissin' - Dubplate Version (Berkane Sol / Dub)

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Thanks. Album is back from manufacturing in a few weeks. Should be out by the end of June. Lady Dub out soon too. Vinyl releases off the album coming later, negotiating a schedule now. Can't promise Move Down Low but it's one I want. If you need to cut it let me know. Gonna start the promo when I'm back from Stockholm.