nomos

Administrator
in the private "family" part of the forum there had been some consternated discussion about how to rescue the board from itself. i guess they gave up, which is reasonable and admirable afaic (except for folks using messaging like tru_g). running a board is an enormous pain in the ass, nevermind that one.

what i'm wondering is how those people who posted 20-30 times a day, every day, are coping with life on the outside :eek:

Last edited:

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Yeah Tru_G I PMed you as well so hopefully you get that sorted out.
While I had long given up random chat on DSF, it was undeniably good on the radio / mixes / nights promotion and quite good for getting in touch with producers for tunes and the like. Not quite sure what to do on all that front now. Get a myspace maybe :eek:

Not all that suprised they packed it in, but I did expect a slightly weightier last straw than "oh we're 3".

mms

sometimes
in the private "family" part of the forum there had been some consternated discussion about how to rescue the board from itself. i guess they gave up, which is reasonable and admirable afaic (except for folks using messaging like tru_g). running a board is an enormous pain in the ass, nevermind that one.

what i'm wondering is how those people who posted 20-30 times a day, every day, are coping with life on the outside :eek:

i haven't read it for years but what do you mean rescue it from itself, was it a bit of a neverending circle ?

i think it's good to just stop doing things personally.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I am so pleased to see such zen-like courage - even if it turns out to be a temporary closure. Wonderful. Big up dubway and all involved.

It's a garage thing.

nomos

Administrator
@mms - i'd pretty much tuned out myself but from what i gathered the consensus amongst mods was that the tenor of the place had gotten pretty awful. the 'family vibes' private area seemed an attempt at a remedy by getting old members interested again and trying to exert some positive influence on the other 20 000. that's how i understood it anyway.

@Sick Boy - when the old dubplate.net forum shut down, before dsf started, traffic at riddim.ca more than quadrupled but for some reason it was almost all lurkers. i guess people were waiting for news or to see if something would start.

@Grievous Angel - :D

Threnody

I think there was a bit of a backlash against that whole 'family' thing. i mean who qualified coz it certainly wasn't who had been around the longest or been a member of the dubplate.net forum.

Hopefully the excellent DSF mix will go a bit of a way to reminding people it isn't all wobbles etc....

Things were all a bit Nathan Barley over there but it was still the lasrgest place to reach a targetted market and i fear that some new producers who were just beginning to get their music heard may be the hardest hit.

it will be back, and probably soon.

In the meantime a host of new forums seem to be springing up to take advantage. As Paul says with riddum.ca prospering after the demise of dubplate I have seen a massive upward trend in the number of people joining, lurking and posting on the BASS.BEATS.BREAKS forum at http://www.breakstep.net . People need somewhere to pass the day obviously!!!

Oh and Shonx...this is where you're hiding is it????

DWD

Things were all a bit Nathan Barley over there but it was still the lasrgest place to reach a targetted market

It's going to be a headache for me. I won't miss the dire discussion forum in any way, but it was an excellent resource for event listings. Really comprehensive. I'm not plugged into the scene in any way, so I've got no idea where to go now to keep tabs on what's happening near me.

faustus

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant. I am so pleased to see such zen-like courage - even if it turns out to be a temporary closure. Wonderful. Big up dubway and all involved.

yeah i agree. it'll be interesting if this is the thing which splits the scene up (which had 2 happen sooner or later). i always thought it'd happen if radio 1 got a 'dubstep mix' show for all the aggy dnb stuff and some1 new took over the experimental show (which really ought to happen - par!)

Shonx

Shallow House
Oh and Shonx...this is where you're hiding is it????

Shhhh..

Fuck it, glory days are long gone over there, if I was Dubway I'd have sacked it off long time ago. I was just getting used to this place, hope it doesn't get over-run with running "jokes" that were about as funny as a bank in the first place

hucks

Your Message Here
sort of a tented e-refugee camp, yh i wouldn't be surprised. well as long as the OMG LEGERND INJOKE INJOKE INJOKE crew don't find it.

I for one would welcome the addition of a smiley with a shoulder mounted rocket launcher. And one smoking a spliff.

datura

white collar loafer
I think there was a bit of a backlash against that whole 'family' thing. i mean who qualified coz it certainly wasn't who had been around the longest or been a member of the dubplate.net forum.

Indeed.

The whole 'Bash' thing was incredibly badly managed and lost them a lot of goodwill which is unfortunate. A few people were a little precious about the awards last year which caused a lot of grief, also and there was an increase troll type rubbish which ruined the atmosphere. Nevermind. I'd got bored of it anyway, very few laughs and decent discussions to be had, although as an information resource it will be sorely missed.

BareBones

wheezy
this might be a stupid question but what actually DID happen to Bash? Had some of the best times of my life at that night then it just disappeared without warning (or at least seemed that way to me...)

optimum

Poochie
Yeah I think it was because of the main forum just getting a bit shit and some posters were getting bit aggressive toward mods, quoted from dsf: 'simply offer up your very much valued opinion on moderation issues'. People complained about the awards, not sure what their reasons were, seemed a bit odd. Not sure about the backlash to the secret forum, I didn't really realise there was a backlash

Also, Brackles debut at FWD! Also SPYRO! And Breakage and Yunx, so a pretty strong line up!

Last edited: