Blackdown

nexKeysound
why is grime allowed to use all these absurd signifiers that either don't directly have anything to do with it or are vast exaggerations, but if dubstep does the same thing it's being 100% disingenuous?

erm, this is the month where tempa t beat little nasty up at his house and bottled griminal at eskidance and then esco was murdered. caspa puts snatch youtube clips on his blog.

you wanna ask tempa t/badness/riko etc if they're joking, personally?

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Also the fact that some of the early sawing metalic trax were actually wicked cos you heard one or two at the peak of a varies set and they sounded mint. Some comically big wobbler ditto, it can be fun to dance around to,
Chef still does this and it's great.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
(For me, this was when I had heard Caspa & Rusko do it, I was like yea, thats nang, cockney thug, badboy, so what next...except that 'next' never came & thats all they seemed to have churned out since)

Is there any real reason why wobble couldn't hit that 'next' though? Obviously there doesn't seem to be any scene imperative for it to do so at the moment, most people seem quite happy with the status quo. But is midrange LFO cutoff bass noise an intrinsically inferior medium for innovation to cutting up an amen for example?

I suppose that we've already got some tunes that go completely mad with the template, Coki leading the charge as usual with Spongebob. I'm not really keeping up with this end of things these days, are people making half-hearted rip-offs of that style yet? I heard that Chainsaw Calligraphy tune because Fly Lo played it of people in Glasgow, it's certainly a bit different. It's kinda of horribly bad though...
This on the other hand is very good fun indeed. But they're taking the piss so it doesn't really count.

Any other good examples of people making wobble so ridiculous it breaks through the other side of mediocrity and actually becomes crazy and exciting and good again?

Obviously wobble isn't actually the problem here, but while we're on the subject and that. Oh and add Tortured to your list for God's sake. It basically invented this shit.

Last edited:

Spender

Nice list, alex. For Skeram I would def add Oskillatah (But is that 'pure' wobble? I dunno?).

One thing I remember was it was the first of Skream's tunes to get ALOT of hate. Accusations of 'Clownstep' and Jump-up' flying all over the place. It was just after a real purple patch for him where he'd done loads of the techno stuff, Mark Ashken remixes / Lose Control etc then out popped that.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
One thing I remember was it was the first of Skream's tunes to get ALOT of hate. Accusations of 'Clownstep' and Jump-up' flying all over the place.

Fair enough. But see, personally, I don't mind there idea of jump-up. 'Jump-up' as a term suggests fun and energy, which I'm all in favour of. The stuff that annoys me is when tracks sound more like, I dunno, trudge-down. But that's just how they strike me, obviously there are plenty of people for whom they have the opposite effect, which is what I'm trying to get my head around.

NB - I'm talking about jump-up mainly in the context of dubstep. I don't listen to much current d & b, so I can't comment on how the jump-up strand is doing there. But certainly early jump-up jungle as done by Congo Natty/DJ SS/Ganja Kru etc is great.

massrock

4linehaiku said:
Obviously wobble isn't actually the problem here, but while we're on the subject and that. Oh and add Tortured to your list for God's sake. It basically invented this shit.
Yeah, you can wobble absurdly, wobble funky, wobble weirdly, wobble deep, it's the wobbling for the sake of it that's not very interesting or exciting.

Wobble's not new though is it, goes all the way back to reggae finger pluck pulsating bass meeting the acid squelch I would say.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
i realize violence is far, far more prevalent in grime, but still hyperbole/braggadocio is a big part of the culture. rusko & caspa's dubstep nights are quite safe, but why wouldn't a small part of the machismo in their songs be rooted in hooligan culture/whatever you wanna call it - again, see the anecdote about caspa's idea of a perfect night being one where he gets into a good fight. seems like the difference is one of (massive) degree, hence why i think there's a double standard in the way people judge one scene's signifiers vs. another's.

Well perhaps it is a double standard, I can't find a way to argue that if he is indeed a product of hooligan culture* why it would be any less wrong to bring the aesthetic of that culture into his music. It just seems to me, when grime artists synthesize their hostile environments into grime music it becomes intrinsic to its form in a good way. Grime as a result is heavily competitive, kinetic, and gladiatorial; it turns the survival-of-the-fittest aspect of estate life into something that is both cathartic and that positively informs the music. Of course, this isn't always the case when you get things like the Tempa T/Nasty conflict or Crazy Titch's conviction for murder - which were likely spurred by lyrics - but this is an exception to the rule. Caspa's yobstep, whether from a true yob or not, is simply a celebration of the lowest possible form of British culture and as a result it informs his brand of dubstep by giving it the qualities of huffing a lot of glue and breaking your nose over your Fred Perry.

So it's a matter of taste at the end of the day I guess.

* I would put money on that he isn't, judging by his fanboyish creation of a cockney asthetic using guy ritchie movies as fodder and by his mate rusko, who I've met, and is a cringy trustafarian. Shoddy evidence perhaps, but this is, after all, a bet.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
nah, Earth a Run Red.

Oh boy, that one is very very serious.
I guess I think of Tortured as the first totally rinsed wobble anthem, but that's probably due to when I got in to Dubstep. Probably just incorrect as well. Trying to make authoritative statements based on hazy memories of DMZs 3 years ago isn't the best plan. (unless you're Simon Reynolds ;))

PS Kalawanji!

Last edited:

Ory

warp drive
I still love what Coki's doing. His tracks are genuinely deranged, even psychedelic sometimes, and don't have much to do with what's being criticized, imo.

Repulse

Any other good examples of people making wobble so ridiculous it breaks through the other side of mediocrity and actually becomes crazy and exciting and good again?

Not many people are much into it, but the wonky electro/techno producers Kanji Kinetic, Raffertie & The Squire of Gothos etc are doing some pretty crazy things with wobbbles. They arent really dubstep though, however all of them have dabbled in a bit of 'step

Kanji Kinetic-Disco Vibrator / Kid 606-Dancehall Of The Dead (Kanji Kinetic remix) /
The Squire Of Gothos - Bounty Ice Cream / Out Of Order / Triple Drop / SLam Dat
Raffertie - Antisocial / Wobble Horror! / Sugar / Stomping Grounds VIP
these tunes have the crazyest wobbles imo, especially the last drops of the Kinetic 606 remix and Bounty Ice Cream. :cool:

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
* I would put money on that he isn't, judging by his fanboyish creation of a cockney asthetic using guy ritchie movies as fodder and by his mate rusko, who I've met, and is a cringy trustafarian. Shoddy evidence perhaps, but this is, after all, a bet.

That's forgetting that Rusko had links w/ Iration Steppa's highrise studios and was given tracks to fuck with by Mark, who is not one to accept fools gladly.

Not that I'm a fan of post Spongebob/Cockney Thug wobble (though 'Earth...', 'Shattered' and v. early Kalawanji (the EP name escapes me) are still good.)