NYTimes: Why do men lie about sex?

N

nomadologist

i have thought about this for a while, and I still have no fucking clue what he means

zhao

there are no accidents
oh thanks alot Zhao I was just going to bed and now I'm gonna be up for an hour working that one out. Cheers! :p Good mix on yr blog btw.

thanks! that mix is 5+ years old now... but i still quite like most of it.

I think it's zhao-speak for "girls don't put out as much as I'd like". ;)

ain't that the truth. but not exactly what i was going for.

a coupla whipper-snappers like y'selves should be able to guess what i mean in no time...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's too much of an effort to jump through hoops for it, I can't be bothered making a sucker of myself anymore.

If you can jump through the hoop, it's probably not worth bothering with at all, to be honest...

zhao

there are no accidents
there are no hoops. i meant exactly what i said.

first if we agree that to some extent "sex" has been commodified. and has also become a (very powerful) tool to sell other commodities.

second, like anything with plenty to go around but is made scarce by the market place (like diamonds), sex in this culture is made artificially rare by a variety of social mechanisms such as advertising and its improbable standards of beauty; and this rarity facilitates consumerism.

yes, loneliness is good for business. just like low-self esteem is good for business. unsatisfied libidos account for the purchasing of a LOT of goods -- products to make you feel sexy, or products that are designed to be (poor) substitutes for human intimacy and companionship.

not a conspiracy theory. what I'm describing is what i perceive to be an underlying dynamic in consumer capitalism.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
So do you think people have more sex in less economically developed/consumerist societies?

swears

preppy-kei
I thought zhao was on about how dating/sleeping around is like a marketplace, you have to sell yourself to prospective partners on your strong points. Which isn't much fun if you don't have anything to offer.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
But I think he's also saying that if we weren't all so hung up on our appearance, social status, sexual prowess etc. etc. we'd all get a lot more sex. Or something.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I suppose it is, really - at one end, you've got fresh organic produce changing hands between middle-class foodies for large sums of money; at the other, knock-off Burberry, pirated Shrek the Third DVDs and lighters at "free fr'a paand".

N

nomadologist

there are no hoops. i meant exactly what i said.

first if we agree that to some extent "sex" has been commodified. and has also become a (very powerful) tool to sell other commodities.

second, like anything with plenty to go around but is made scarce by the market place (like diamonds), sex in this culture is made artificially rare by a variety of social mechanisms such as advertising and its improbable standards of beauty; and this rarity facilitates consumerism.

yes, loneliness is good for business. just like low-self esteem is good for business. unsatisfied libidos account for the purchasing of a LOT of goods -- products to make you feel sexy, or products that are designed to be (poor) substitutes for human intimacy and companionship.

not a conspiracy theory. what I'm describing is what i perceive to be an underlying dynamic in consumer capitalism.

absolutely right.

advertising offers a "terminus" for desire, when, of course, there could never be one