Suggest a Book for the dissensus book club!

luka

jones is in my worthless opinion a much better poet than olson, though as a drinking companion i would choose the american.

empty mirror

remember the jackalope
cool, yes, do. i have my wife doing a complicated inter-library loan to get a copy of the anathemata. none in the public library system. only in certain universities. sounds about right, really.

the funny thing is he is in the index of authors in an anthology i've got "poems for the millenium vol 1" but his poem is strangely omitted----they give a bio and describe the poem but the actual text is not there. it is the only such case in the either volume. they state "we would have liked to have included..." (i am paraphrasing) but they don't actually include jones' work. so strange.

luka

thats right. i like that anthology very much. i think they did a good job. i actually own in parenthesis, the anthematea and the sleeping lord but it has taken me literally years to find the all. i got one from the internet and the other two turned up 2nd hand. i was so happy when i found anthemata for 50 cents i almost shrieked with joy.

grizzleb

Whoever said they didn't want to read 2666 because everyone is into it needs to think again. It's really well worth checking. I loved it before I knew about the hype.

If Bolano is the new poster boy for literature I'm a happy man.

grizzleb

it was me. any book thats about 2666 pages long can suck out.
I don't really see that argument. Why is a book not worth looking at because it's long? 2666 is split into different parts that were going to be published seperately anyway, so it doesn't hold. Why watch The Wire when it's structure relies on you watching more than one episode (indeed, more than one series, hours and hours infact) to 'get it'? Because life isn't 'too short' for great works of art.

luka

i sorely regret giving over so much of my life to the wire. it wasnt remotely worth it.

grizzleb

Do you only read novellas then? And eat biscuits? Sure I see where you were coming from, but my Wire example was just to outline the point that sometimes art or whatever you want to call it takes a bit of persistance and effort for it to be worthwhile. Why not just read readers digest? Why read anything at all? Such a mad attitude.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Do you only read novellas then? And eat biscuits? Sure I see where you were coming from, but my Wire example was just to outline the point that sometimes art or whatever you want to call it takes a bit of persistance and effort for it to be worthwhile. Why not just read readers digest? Why read anything at all? Such a mad attitude.

Waste of a post, mate. Luka will get as far as "Do you only..." and then give up and read something else.

grizzleb

Hahah, I was actually gonna just say 'if you've even read this far' at the end.

Seriously though, at what point does a book become long? 300 pages? 500 pages? Does a series of books automatically become barred because collectivley they run into the tens of thousands of pages?

I sort of take the view that every book is just part of the one big book of my life and every page is worth as much as any other. I sort of see the 'I only read small books' thing a sign that maybe what you find important is just rattling through as many as possible to claim you've read them.

luka

dont bother, i was just being antagonisitic.
the last novel i read was karamazov which is equally long.
i just dont read novels much full stop. because i dont like them.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Josef K posted once about Bolano and it remains one of my favourite Dissensus posts. in other art news, i am reading about Dalston.

finally!

Tea ;)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
w00t!

I was dead chuffed with 'autophagy' - I think it's about as good as all the other words in the piece out together.

Getting back on topic, I've a copy of Moby Dick I mean to get into fairly soon, but I suspect a) it's far too old/canonical and b) too many people will have read it already.

Or should we read some non-fiction this time?

Or some poetry? I'm sure luka and craner could point us to something good.

On second thoughts probably best to stick to novels. I dunno.