"R'n'B" recommendations PLEASE!?

stephenk

Also, briefly; Jhene apparently made a Japanese version of "Stranger" for iTunes... Which makes TOTAL sense to me, as I hear it more like a J-Pop record than an R&B record. It's way more Sylvian & Sakamoto than anything to me, that little chorus melody? I wonder if there's ever going to be a proper bleeding over of J/K-Pop into the sort of 'witch house'-themed R&B popping up here and there.

oh wow, good point, i didn't even think about this. i could definitely picture sylvian/sakamoto doing "stranger", it really does have that clunkiness (in a good way)-meets-heartbroken wail.

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
No mention of Cocaine 80s yet? It's a sort of supergroup comprising No I-D, James Fauntleroy and guests including Common. I've had it for a little while and it's growing on me, very distinctive sound (the name should give you some idea, though it's better than just pastiche). Here's one of the tracks:

There's a free mixtape/EP doing the rounds, official link here, though you have to tweet about it to get it:

http://cocaine80s.blogspot.com/

Doubtless there are other places hosting it, though.

As for the Marvin's Room versions, I think I prefer the Jojo one. Several reasons: firstly, the awkward enunciation of the 'fuck'(s) which is I find strangely affecting; secondly, the lyrics in the first verse frame the chorus really nicely, the 'been up for three days' thing is exactly what leads to the sort of viciousness in the chorus (vicious in terms of phrasing, if not delivery): and lastly, the lines "...and when you're in her, I know I'm in your head," and "I ran into your homeboys, they're all fucking idiots,".

It's hard to extricate Jojo mentally from the teen-pop Version 1.0, but some of her new stuff is pretty exciting. I heard this played, loud, last year and it took my head off, got my friend to Shazam it and gawped at his phone as it said "Jojo". The production is great, a sort of menacing thing similar to those The-Dream comes out with occasionally (cf. 'Chameleon by Christina Milian) but Jojo has vocal chops too, love the sustained high note towards the end. The video is, um, well, I'll leave you to decide:

Last edited:

Ulala

Awkward Woodward
Right, I'm well aware that this next track won't be up everyone's street, and yes, it is quite euro in places (though more house than trance), which usually prompts the use of (inverted commas) 'r&b', and it is distinctly silly, but this made me both laugh and revel after too much rum the other week. The distorted pad is a proper eye-opener, and the lyrics, well... I admire anyone with the brass balls to call their song this.

bugler

I'm having trouble getting into it, probably because I dont think the tunes are all that tripped out-- they just don't go anywhere. I mean, to my ears "Countdown" is way more tripped out than anything on 1977.

dumbflux

Anyone know any good current blogs for keeping up with R&B? I know this might be a tall order but I'd also prefer it if it wasn't overladen with material.

CrowleyHead

Every leak she's put out is still better than that stupid "Radio" song they were pushing.

Making Cassie sing over fucking "Shook Ones", who the fuck is in charge of her project!?

BareBones

wheezy
what good r&b has there been lately? i haven't heard any in a while and i'm a bit testosteroned-out from all the rap i've been listening to recently.
I wish rosebeast still updated his so bones blog. guess he's too busy with tri-angle.

Benny Bunter

Really late on this one but damn this is a good song. Miguel's vocals are bliss. Heard about ten different New Jersey Club versions of it recently.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Really late on this one but damn this is a good song. Miguel's vocals are bliss. Heard about ten different New Jersey Club versions of it recently.

I love this! I wish people would update this thread more often.