How much do you drink?

adruu

This Is It
michelada's with a chili pepper in it....mmmmmmmmmmmm dats good to, but i think its more of a south american thing than a spanish thing?

martin

----
Tends to feel a bit depressing drinking at home no?
Alcohol is a downer kinda drug in a way and on your own it seems a bit of a lonely thing to do.

Shit, this seems to be the consensus. Sad to say I've been hitting about 8-10 cans of Stella a night when at home since giving up fags, more when I'm out. Yeah, it's fairly depressing waking up in a gloom with fuggy memories of trying to ring an ex-girlfriend at 1am, and seeing a pile of vinyl strewn across the floor with the record player light still on...

I'm thinking of trying out a self-imposed booze ban for the rest of September. I'm sick of slurring, excess swearing and going to the bar twice as much as everyone else cos I'm chucking it down my neck too fast. I used to think it was hilarious, but it's becoming a fat fucking monkey on my back. I went to some bar in Old Street on Friday evening where everyone had been drinking since 1pm and I was the only sober one, and I was like, you're all mental, why are you shouting your heads off and staggering, this is horrible!

as for drinking out and about, rarely goes above two drinks... something to do with me cycling literally everywhere (drunk in control of a bicycle dangerous in Londontown)

cycling a little tipsy can be great though, makes you go 33% faster. better than lucozade.

E

Electric Angel

Generally, once I've reached my limit (of drinks I can have before I get really silly) I stop, I just never see the point in drinking myself into such a state I need to be carried home.

bassnation

the abyss
cycling a little tipsy can be great though, makes you go 33% faster. better than lucozade.

not to be sanctimonious or anything (cos i hate it when people do that with me) but thats illegal and pretty dangerous to boot. i'm talking rolling drunk rather than one drink of course. a female friend of mine had to pay out 1000 ukp in expesnive dental work to replace all her front teeth which she knocked out while riding her bike when drunk. she hit an outcrop in the pavement caused by tree roots coming up and landed on her face. ouch. pretty expensive mistake and irresponsible at that, cos shes got kids. you just can't be taking those risks when you have dependents. sermon over, and no offence meant.

bassnation

the abyss
Shit, this seems to be the consensus. Sad to say I've been hitting about 8-10 cans of Stella a night when at home since giving up fags, more when I'm out. Yeah, it's fairly depressing waking up in a gloom with fuggy memories of trying to ring an ex-girlfriend at 1am, and seeing a pile of vinyl strewn across the floor with the record player light still on...

I'm thinking of trying out a self-imposed booze ban for the rest of September. I'm sick of slurring, excess swearing and going to the bar twice as much as everyone else cos I'm chucking it down my neck too fast. I used to think it was hilarious, but it's becoming a fat fucking monkey on my back. I went to some bar in Old Street on Friday evening where everyone had been drinking since 1pm and I was the only sober one, and I was like, you're all mental, why are you shouting your heads off and staggering, this is horrible!

jeez martin, you sound just like me, except booze isn't really my thing - plenty of other substances to abuse and you can make an equal tit of yourself on most of them, lets be honest. my favourite is the intoxicated email or text, usually to an ex or prospective gf. cue much confusion when they contact you the next day with a message that makes no sense whatsoever.... until you cringingely remember. sometimes it can work in your favour, but more often than not it turns out to be as embaressing as pissing yourself in the local shopping centre.

redcrescent

michelada's with a chili pepper in it....mmmmmmmmmmmm dats good to, but i think its more of a south american thing than a spanish thing?

Another great Mexican invention, on a par with color TV transmission and oral contraceptives.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
jeez martin, you sound just like me, except booze isn't really my thing - plenty of other substances to abuse and you can make an equal tit of yourself on most of them, lets be honest. my favourite is the intoxicated email or text, usually to an ex or prospective gf. cue much confusion when they contact you the next day with a message that makes no sense whatsoever.... until you cringingely remember. sometimes it can work in your favour, but more often than not it turns out to be as embaressing as pissing yourself in the local shopping centre.

I've heard a number of people say that their ideal computer accessory would be a mouse and keyboard with inbuilt sensors that somehow detect blood alcohol levels, and automatically ban you from eBay if you're pissed. :)

Eric

Mr Moraigero
!

yeah my alcohol consumption has gone way up too since quitting smoking ... seems like the body tries to retain the motion `hand to mouth' smoking more weed too

Dial

Its all context innit. I just said goodbye to my much liked girlfriend of eight months who had to return home to another country for work. I feel entitled to rest my sorrows in a solo beer or two.

More generally, I see nothing wrong with a beer when home alone. I will often have a glass before dinner. And the weekend is usually two to three Fri/Sat night, and a strong Belgian Ale (or two, again) on Sunday afternoon with a pal. I'd like to tweak my drinking downwards somewhat, but think its ok. Exercise is the key to healthy drinking in my view.

I might add, also, that drinking, even in modest quantities, is not very compatible with a meditation practice. Always intrigues me how that great meditation master of the sixties and pioneer of east-west Buddhism, Chogyam Trungpa, managed to swing hard core alcoholism and insight. Trungpa used to line the walk to his meditation cuishion with glasses of straight gin. (So the tales go)

Last edited:

martin

----
I might add, also, that drinking, even in modest quantities, is not very compatible with a meditation practice.

Having said that, boozing has given us two of the greatest insights into the human condition - "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam" and the Makem Brothers' "Juice of the Barley"

I almost never drink when I'm alone, usually only when I'm out in a club or pub. I guess it's a purely social drug for me. Then I usually stick to beer, sometimes cocktails or a gin tonic if the place serves good ones. I'm not really into the feeling of being drunk, but the way to get there can be nice. A lot of people think that being half drunk is a waste of money, but I prefer the soft buzz of a few beers to being really pissed.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Always intrigues me how that great meditation master of the sixties and pioneer of east-west Buddhism, Chogyam Trungpa, managed to swing hard core alcoholism and insight. Trungpa used to line the walk to his meditation cuishion with glasses of straight gin. (So the tales go)
How does anyone know he was a 'meditation master'? He could have just been pissed.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
How does anyone know he was a 'meditation master'? He could have just been pissed.

This reminds me of something I read ages ago where someone was riffing on the old 'opium of the masses' postion on religion: he was taking it a step further by identifying particular religions or sects with particular drugs...the Church of England was, naturally, paracetamol; Catholicism and Islam were both amphetamines (can't recall the justification for that, although I remember it seemed reasonable), while Buddhism was alcohol, "because it makes you say the same thing over and over again". :)

mos dan

fact music
i've gone right off the whole draught pint in a pub thing now that i've stopped smoking fags (july 1, same as the smoking ban). i really don't enjoy it much anymore, it was the combination of the two that i used to like, and now that is gone.. i wouldn't care, but most of my mates still smoke, so going to the pub with them means watching them duck out every five mins/sitting outside.

anyway, isn't it fair to say that most brits drink too much? the govt's recommended limits seem absurdly low, compared to average consumption.

zhao

there are no accidents
incidentally, a friend of mine's dull older brother told me that statistically the british (you lot) drink the most out of all european countries. he had a specific barrel (is that the right word?) number too, but i don't remember...

IdleRich

IdleRich
"incidentally, a friend of mine's dull older brother told me that statistically the british (you lot) drink the most out of all european countries. he had a specific barrel (is that the right word?) number too, but i don't remember..."
I don't think that that's right. I thought countries such as France and Spain where it is more common to drink sensibly and often from a younger age with bars open later tend to have a higher consumption per head. I think the Brits just lead the field in binge drinking and the like. I could be wrong of course.

Dial

Having said that, boozing has given us two of the greatest insights into the human condition - "The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam" and the Makem Brothers' "Juice of the Barley"

Ha. Are you sure that 'The Rubaiyat...' was the product of alcohol? As to the wisdom of the 'Juice of the Barley' there's nowt new under the sun- witness 'slacker' culture of more recent times. Its a good gig if you can get it, thats all I say.