R+S split up?

mms

sometimes
Spill the beans (please)! I think i got there 95% but it's not quite perfect!

i don't really want to.
but i think i pretty much have it locked down.
and i think it's pretty simple.
that's the technique of creating that airy worn sound, obviously it would sound rubbish if the music wasn't up to scratch in the first place.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
i don't really want to.
but i think i pretty much have it locked down.
and i think it's pretty simple.
that's the technique of creating that airy worn sound, obviously it would sound rubbish if the music wasn't up to scratch in the first place.
They channel everything through Phil Spector's wig don't they? I knew it.

oblioblioblio

Wild Horses
as far as the basic channel sound goes, I spent a little while trying to figure some of it out.

The element that really intrigued me was the 'dubchord', though obviously their appeal extends way beyond just this one method.

Anyhow, apparently there are many ways to make it, where the general rule seems to be to take a variably rich sound and put it through some effects (duh).

Specifically, you can do quite well with a couple of slightly detuned saw waves playing some kind of chord which is then low pass filtered to taste (with movement on filter cutoff frequency being pretty crucial) and then fed through delay/reverb/phaser/chorous in any order that you like (again, indtroducing some movement in the sound here is pretty key I think, eg more filter movement, changing delay times etc etc).

not ideal but it's definitely a workable starting point. If you have Reaktor and the Electronic Instruments 2 collection, 'Akkord' seems to do a very nice job in this vein actually, via a different method of synthesis, but built around pretty much the same principles.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
the chords are generally saturated before being filtered as well i think.

Does anyone wish that they'd just do an interview? There's so much I'd like to hear about from them. I don't find their lack of interviews mysterious, just frustrating haha.

zhao

there are no accidents
Does anyone wish that they'd just do an interview? There's so much I'd like to hear about from them. I don't find their lack of interviews mysterious, just frustrating haha.

and also the no photographs thing. until now that is

p-poster.png

last winter having drinks one night Rene Lowe of Scion said something to the effect that some personal differences and friction accrued over years and years of working together finally are just making it impossible for them to work together. for the time being at least. but everyone around hopes that at some point they'll be able to get over it.

what do people think of Rod Modell and Echochord label? a bit like what SleepArchive does with Pansonic innit? of course i don't mind having more material that sounds like the original (in Rod's case a whole LOT more).

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Went through a phase of absolutely loving the deepchord stuff at some point last year, but with both sleeparchive and deepchord/echochord/space/whatever I have a few releases and don't feel the need for much more of it. I have enough to get a fix whenever it's necessary.

Very, very curious to hear what this carl craig/moritz collab will sound like

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
rod modell recently though has starteed to get more distinctive - he's got this really odd. fluid percussive sound going on. See his aaron carl remix and the new album on plop.

Its funny though, I loved the coldest season when it first came out but now I can't really listen to it. I don't know whether its because I overplayed it or because its not as good as i thought it was. One thing I do know about it is that the noise is so....manicured, it started to annoy me.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
Its funny though, I loved the coldest season when it first came out but now I can't really listen to it. I don't know whether its because I overplayed it or because its not as good as i thought it was. One thing I do know about it is that the noise is so....manicured, it started to annoy me.

yeah I can identify with that, very similar to my experience of it

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Moritz Von Oswald & Carl Craig have collabed before, right? With Thomas Fehlmann? Oh wait, maybe that was Juan Atkins? Should just google I guess... :rolleyes: