R+S split up?

smn

Interested in hearing pretty much anything Moritz Von Oswald does. I think his mix of Sebbo's Watamu Beach is the best thing he's done in quite a while. It really is sublime. And bearing in mind the title of the track, it really does sound like it rolls down the beach for the first half and ends up bobbing around in the sea in the second. So good.

Carl Craig on the other hand is really hit and miss with me. All of his recent remixes have left me cold (except maybe the R & S one). His Sessions mix dissapointed no end, which is no surprise I guess considering it's packed with said remixes. The best stuff on it - his Chez Damier remix, PP's Throw (one of my favourite tracks ever), the 69 stuff - is all old as fuck. I think the man needs to loose the sheen and (re-) find the funk. But if this new project is being loosely referred to as classical then I can't see that happening, at least not now.

Rod Modell & co. have done and are doing some great stuff. The Vibrasound (The Deepchord Years 1999 - 2004) CD is fantastic as is the mix of same (plus more) by Kevin Hanton: http://www.discogs.com/release/392850 Listened to it a couple of evenings ago while working in the garden as the sun was going down and it was absolutely perfect. Anyone in to dub techno should own it. His remix of Model 500's Starlight is a favourite too. No mean feat taking on that track and coming out of it with your head up... Think some control in terms of quality and quantity wouldn't go amiss right now though. Seems like every week there's a new release available. Still, as mentioned above, he's very much furrowing his own path... Inspired by Basic Channel perhaps, but certainly not merely copying...

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Its funny though, I loved the coldest season when it first came out but now I can't really listen to it. I don't know whether its because I overplayed it or because its not as good as i thought it was. One thing I do know about it is that the noise is so....manicured, it started to annoy me.
I think it's because underneath the lushness the melodies and chords are actually really twee and trite in some of those tracks. Harmonically it's just not very interesting.
Interested in hearing pretty much anything Moritz Von Oswald does. I think his mix of Sebbo's Watamu Beach is the best thing he's done in quite a while. It really is sublime.
Yes, indeed.

elgato

I just dont know
Carl Craig on the other hand is really hit and miss with me. All of his recent remixes have left me cold (except maybe the R & S one).

i've loved a lot of his recent remixes to be honest, the Rhythm & Sound, Kevin Saunderson, Junior Boys, Terry Brookes/Aaron Soul, Theo Parrish, Delia & Gavin...

maybe not so much as i love some of his earlier stuff, but i dunno, i wouldn't agree that he's lost 'the funk' by any means

childrentalking

the wire have run a couple of decent interviews with basic channel. most recent one was in 2003 as rhythm & sound... i think the 'lost records' cover. worth seeking out

DJ PIMP

i cannot deal with people aping their style any more... especially filtered chords through delay. it's agony, a real "lop off both ears with a pair of rusty hedge-clippers" effect.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
The only thing with that kind of sound in it that I found palletable in the last couple of years was Pellarin & Lenler's album, which was kind of an R&B take on R&S. Well, that was their intention... seemed a bit funny to have tracks called stuff like A Tribute to Eric B and such un-bumping, sedate music.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
^ fuck, sorry to hear that. Just watched that interview with him this week on red bull and he seems like such a nice bloke. Was also looking forward to seeing him in leeds saturday... Yes yes hope he gets better soon.

michael

Bring out the vacuum
Jeez, that's rough. Fingers crossed for the guy.

I know someone who had a stroke at age 36 and is still having a happy life some 30 years down the track, so it's not necessarily as horrific as people first imagine.

BareBones

wheezy
yeah, my mum had a mild stroke years ago and she's still going strong at 65. So let's hope it's just a mild one, i believe you can recover from them pretty much 100%.

deadboy

my friend saw moritz von oswald play at a party and had dinner with him in portugal on saturday night, so unless he had a very speedy recovery thankfully this is not true.
hello!

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
Funny, I understood it had been confirmed by festival he was supposed to be playing at in Dublin. Or maybe the internet rumour mill strikes again...

deadboy

strange that, anyway, here is a picture of the said dinner on saturday night, with my mates band and moritz von oswald and tikiman:

deadboy

yeah my mans talking rubbish this was friday amd apparently it happened on sunday morning. mild though apparently. get well soon.

mucsavage

It is true as far as I am aware.

The gig in Dublin was on Sunday night not Saturday, I think it may have happened during the flight.

Hope he has a full and speedy recovery :(

Client Eastwood

Message from the promoter of DEAF

'This is Eamonn from the Dublin Electronic Arts Festival where Moritz
was due to perform on Sunday night. He suffered a mild stroke on his
journey over to Dublin on Sunday morning. He is now recovering in
Hospital. We wish him a speedy recovery over the coming days.'

Wishing him all the best.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Hope MvO gets well. :(

rod modell recently though has starteed to get more distinctive - he's got this really odd. fluid percussive sound going on. See his aaron carl remix and the new album on plop.

Its funny though, I loved the coldest season when it first came out but now I can't really listen to it. I don't know whether its because I overplayed it or because its not as good as i thought it was. One thing I do know about it is that the noise is so....manicured, it started to annoy me.
I've actually been unable to listen to it without getting annoyed since I read this interview. I sometimes think that there's an inverse relation between how much people talk about the "wonderful aliveness" of analogue sound and how human and 'alive' their music actually sounds, like they spend so long creaming themselves over the wonderful unpredictability of the slight drift in the oscillator pitch of an MS 20 or the beautifully warm sound of a vintage compressor that's just about distinguishable from a free VST if you A/B it on good monitors and actually care about that sort of thing that they forget all about funk and joy and anger and excitement and sex and irrelevant stuff like that.