What's on your iPod/mp3 player?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What a great disc, sad that Townsend and company won't be playing out live anytime soon...some of the most fun I've had at Metal Shows in ages (although Celtic Frost came close).

Yay, another Dev-head! Do you have The New Black, and if so, is it worth getting, do you think? From what I've heard it seems a bit too 'obvious' to be classic Strapping. Most of Alien was quite good, though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
neptune is dope, i used to listen to the planets on a slightly wonky cassette, intoxicated, is that weird?

Dude, this is Dissensus, you should have been listening to a dubstep mix-up of Neptune while freebasing DMT and discussing Badiou. :)

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Anaal Nathrakh "Escathon"
Blight "Detroit: The Dream is Dead"
Bone Awl "By Ropes Through Dirt"
Cheb Khaled "Hada Raykoum"
Gal Costa "India"
Crippled Black Phoenix "A Love of Shared Disasters"
Dead Reptile Shrine "A Journey Through The Darkest..."
Delfonics "Delfonics"
Lizzy mercier Descloux "Mambo Nassau"
Darkthrone "The Cult Is Alive"
DJ Screw "As The World Turns Slow"
Joao Donato "A Bad Donato"
Electric Masada "At The Mountains Of Madness"
Duke Ellington "Money Jungle"
Feist "The Reminder"
Furze "Trident Autocrat"
Grob "Pops Dolp"
Keiji Haino & Michihiro Sato "Tay Tayu To Tadayoitamae Kono Furue"
Leroy Jenkins "Space Minds, New Worlds, Survival Of America"
Krieg/More Incandescence "Death Glorification"
Krohm "A World Through Dead Eyes"
Sugar Minott "At Studio One"
Nass El Ghiwan "Chants Gnawa Du Maroc"
Parker/Bennik/Bailey "The Topography of the Lungs"
Tinariwen "Aman Iman: Water Is Life"
Various "Columbia!"
Various "Congotronics 2"
Tom Ze "Todos os Olhos"

...and tons of Swans, Whitehouse, Masada, Negura Bunget, The Pop Group and Einsturzende Neubauten. That was fun, I'd forgotten half of this was on there...

I want your i-pod!

Octopus?

Yay, another Dev-head! Do you have The New Black, and if so, is it worth getting, do you think? From what I've heard it seems a bit too 'obvious' to be classic Strapping. Most of Alien was quite good, though.

I liked most of "Alien" and don't mind "The New Black" but, to these ears, it sounds kind of rushed...more SYL by numbers than anything else (obligatory really fast song where D swears and yells along, giant bombastic number, really fast, bombastic, repeat). His "Ziltoid The Omniscient" is actually quite great (if totally ridiculous) and combines a little bit of every Townsend strand. Haven't had a chance to give it a really close listen, but it sounds great at work!

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
PiL - Metal Box

never get sick of this album, it's just perfection. no mid-levels. although like anything with lots of bass it's so much better blasting out of some decent speakers. i leave my stationery holder to vibrate when listening to dubstep.
ripped all of my Trojan boxed sets today, dub just doesn't wash on tinny headphones, though ragga/dancehall isn't too badly affected.

Last edited:

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
Anaal Nathrakh "Escathon"
Blight "Detroit: The Dream is Dead"
Bone Awl "By Ropes Through Dirt"
Cheb Khaled "Hada Raykoum"
Gal Costa "India"
Crippled Black Phoenix "A Love of Shared Disasters"
Dead Reptile Shrine "A Journey Through The Darkest..."
Delfonics "Delfonics"
Lizzy mercier Descloux "Mambo Nassau"
Darkthrone "The Cult Is Alive"
DJ Screw "As The World Turns Slow"
Joao Donato "A Bad Donato"
Electric Masada "At The Mountains Of Madness"
Duke Ellington "Money Jungle"
Feist "The Reminder"
Furze "Trident Autocrat"
Grob "Pops Dolp"
Keiji Haino & Michihiro Sato "Tay Tayu To Tadayoitamae Kono Furue"
Leroy Jenkins "Space Minds, New Worlds, Survival Of America"
Krieg/More Incandescence "Death Glorification"
Krohm "A World Through Dead Eyes"
Sugar Minott "At Studio One"
Nass El Ghiwan "Chants Gnawa Du Maroc"
Parker/Bennik/Bailey "The Topography of the Lungs"
Tinariwen "Aman Iman: Water Is Life"
Various "Columbia!"
Various "Congotronics 2"
Tom Ze "Todos os Olhos"

...and tons of Swans, Whitehouse, Masada, Negura Bunget, The Pop Group and Einsturzende Neubauten. That was fun, I'd forgotten half of this was on there...

this is quite an alien tracklisting to me...how would you broadly define the music you've listed?...just curious is all...a few names are familiar (Ellington obviously though i am a jazz novice, i have 'a kind of blue', 'bitche's brew' and 'mingus ah um'), Sugar Minott and Tinariwen (a musical wet dream). any recommendations?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I liked most of "Alien" and don't mind "The New Black" but, to these ears, it sounds kind of rushed...more SYL by numbers than anything else (obligatory really fast song where D swears and yells along, giant bombastic number, really fast, bombastic, repeat). His "Ziltoid The Omniscient" is actually quite great (if totally ridiculous) and combines a little bit of every Townsend strand. Haven't had a chance to give it a really close listen, but it sounds great at work!

Hmm. I was in two minds as to whether to check out ZTO, tbh :) but you're the Nth person I've heard say it's quite good, and his old Punky Bruster album is actually a huge amount of fun, so I think I'll give it a whirl.

Octopus?

never get sick of this album, it's just perfection. no mid-levels. although like anything with lots of bass it's so much better blasting out of some decent speakers. i leave my stationery holder to vibrate when listening to dubstep.
ripped all of my Trojan boxed sets today, dub just doesn't wash on tinny headphones, though ragga/dancehall isn't too badly affected.

Tried to rip a bunch of dub onto my iPod before the summer began but, not currently having quality headphones, it was no use at all. Unless you really like hissing...

Octopus?

this is quite an alien tracklisting to me...how would you broadly define the music you've listed?...just curious is all...a few names are familiar (Ellington obviously though i am a jazz novice, i have 'a kind of blue', 'bitche's brew' and 'mingus ah um'), Sugar Minott and Tinariwen (a musical wet dream). any recommendations?

Just a lot of post-punk, tropicalia and Black Metal I guess...important elements of any musical diet. You'd probably really like the Ellington disc...he's playing with Mingus and Roach and there's just this slight abrasive, percussive edge to his playing on the disc that's slightly out of character but sounds fantastic on the disc. One of my favourite, relatively straight ahead jazz albums (alongside Sonny Clark's "Leapin and Lopin" and almost anything with Thelonious Monk as leader, especially his later stuff with the godlike Charlie Rouse on sax).

Octopus?

Hmm. I was in two minds as to whether to check out ZTO, tbh :) but you're the Nth person I've heard say it's quite good, and his old Punky Bruster album is actually a huge amount of fun, so I think I'll give it a whirl.

Punky Brewster's a great comparison for this disc...not sound-wise, but you can palpably hear the fun he's having putting the album together.

Octopus?

An issue of The Wire.

But I'm actually enthusiastic about the music I listen to! ;) I also have a distinct lack of 65+ year old modern composers and not nearly enough minimal techno or 'freak folk'. I'll step my game up for the next one.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Stranglers = cool!

wire getting much better, trim w/ stelfox in latest, plus eden reviewing rinseoo1, thanks derek, big up!

my ipod = loads of reggae, dubstep, grime, jungle mixes, loads of pop too.

spooky girlfriend

Wild Horses
Just a lot of post-punk, tropicalia and Black Metal I guess...important elements of any musical diet. You'd probably really like the Ellington disc...he's playing with Mingus and Roach and there's just this slight abrasive, percussive edge to his playing on the disc that's slightly out of character but sounds fantastic on the disc. One of my favourite, relatively straight ahead jazz albums (alongside Sonny Clark's "Leapin and Lopin" and almost anything with Thelonious Monk as leader, especially his later stuff with the godlike Charlie Rouse on sax).

Os Mutantes' debut pushes all the right buttons for me, i like my psych and to hear this 'exotic' Brazilian spin on it was great. with jazz despite my best efforts i tend to stray towards be-bop/hard bop, more accessible stuff basically, i have to be in the mood for jazz fusion and i guess you're kidding yourself if you're TRYING to like something? cheers for the recommendations, will snoop for these

probably worth mentioning that definitive shoegazers Lush and Kate Bush's 'Never For Ever' are on my mp3 now hehe

Last edited:

viktorvaughn

Still in the middle of a 2-year-ish-and-running Grime/Darkside UKG jag so loads of old NASTY sets, Trim, Wiley, Roll Deep, Geeneus and Dump Valve, Bingo Beats, PAUG Comp, Todd Edwards mix, Devilman, Kronick, Dubstep Allstars I etc all getting battered.

Otherwise - randon Congo Natty stuff downloaded, early V records, Moving Shadow, Shut up and Dance, some of the more fidgetty/animate minimal techno and house and a select list of stone cold classic HipHop. The Wu, EMPD, Kool G Rap, MF Doom, De La Soul etc.

And some folk by Davy Graham who i only heard of a few days ago.:cool:

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

Os Mutantes' debut pushes all the right buttons for me, i like my psych and to hear this 'exotic' Brazilian spin on it was great. with jazz despite my best efforts i tend to stray towards be-bop/hard bop, more accessible stuff basically, i have to be in the mood for jazz fusion and i guess you're kidding yourself if you're TRYING to like something? cheers for the recommendations, will snoop for these

probably worth mentioning that definitive shoegazers Lush and Kate Bush's 'Never For Ever' are on my mp3 now hehe

Never Forever is severely underrated