What's on your iPod/mp3 player?

mixed_biscuits

Used to love listening to jungle while walking around after dark - heightens the experience considerably.

I wonder which real-life contexts enhance each genre most (other than those situations tailored to the music, in a club).

Otherwise, one could select music to provide a 'commentary' on your surroundings and smile wryly at the ironic juxtapositions hidden from those around you.

mms

sometimes
haven't even got working headphones and i've not had an ipod for ages but i'm enjoying kranky labels latest batch of krauty ambient rock bands, the music of the label riot season esp the awesome skull defekts, which is kinda metal not metal, mustafa ozkent album on finders keepers, dr oh no's oxperiment and madlib in india too on stonesthrow are both great too, the new tomlab compilation ( the most pop band in the world) and the pretty suprisingly great odd nosdam album, and i hate anticon usually. I also quite like the dirty projectors album but i fear they are cursed with the same thing coco rosie are cursed with, never being able to do really great songs.

Last edited:

Canada J Soup

Monkey Man
Alright...since typing out the last ten songs played randomly on my commute this morning allows me to avoid work for a few seconds...

The Monks - We Do Wie Du
The Slits - Heard It Through The Grapevine
Moonshake - Little Thing
Shellac - Pull The Cup
Dillinger - Cocaine Running Around My Brain
Bim Sherman - Tonight
Kool Keith - Sex Style
Fu Manchu - Godzilla
La Funk Mob - Ravers Suck Our Sound
Shit and Shine - Hot Vodka

Huh...no dubstep :)

(Disclosure: I probably didn't listen to all of these all the way through. I have the attention span of a mosquito when on a crowded subway.)

N

nomadologist

haven't even got working headphones and i've not had an ipod for ages but i'm enjoying kranky labels latest batch of krauty ambient rock bands, the music of the label riot season esp the awesome skull defekts, which is kinda metal not metal, mustafa ozkent album on finders keepers, dr oh no's oxperiment and madlib in india too on stonesthrow are both great too, the new tomlab compilation ( the most pop band in the world) and the pretty suprisingly great odd nosdam album, and i hate anticon usually. I also quite like the dirty projectors album but i fear they are cursed with the same thing coco rosie are cursed with, never being able to do really great songs.

i pawned my ipod because it made me hate all the music i have

i might go get it back, who knows?

tell us more about kranky label's krauty stuff...

mms

sometimes
i pawned my ipod because it made me hate all the music i have

i might go get it back, who knows?

tell us more about kranky label's krauty stuff...

really lovely and krauty it is.:)

first there was the stars of the lid double album which is unbelievably good, utter bliss, heroin type heaven.
then cloudlight canyon, released this week, soon white rainbow, utterly blissful ambient rock with big guitar solos etc over utterly lovely fragile ambient, and jon hassell like sounds. two great records.

then b4 that was the amazing deconstructed live disco of strategy's future rock album if you missed that, that's really good. is it just me or do kranky just disappear under the radar, despite being a really great label?

N

nomadologist

i'm seriously wondering why i've never heard of them before. this all sounds great...i've not bought anything new to listen to in too long.

anything that sounds like john hassell is fine by me. i love love "the fourth world" discs

mms

sometimes
i'm seriously wondering why i've never heard of them before. this all sounds great...i've not bought anything new to listen to in too long.

anything that sounds like john hassell is fine by me. i love love "the fourth world" discs

i'm kinda suprised, deerhunter are signed to them i'm sure you know them

http://www.kranky.net/ godspeed you black emperor did some records for them.

seriously recommend out of that list the strategy and the stars album. the stars is just utter bliss, just shapes emerging out of the speakers kinda stuff.

N

nomadologist

ahhh ok, now it makes more sense. i am going to check them out.

i think i'm going to start a "give me suggestions" thread for buying music