The Klaxons

tox

Factory Girl
THERE IS NO RHYME, REASON, OR LOGIC TO ANY OF IT!!!!

Agreed, the biggest problems with the prize is that we don't know who's picking it and we don't know why. The official website is little help; "The Nationwide Mercury Music Prize exists solely to champion new British music... the music on the album is the only thing taken into account." Not very informative and actually quite surprisingly given the recent paranoia over TV prizes and accountability.

I think the wikipedia article hits the nail on the head really. "It was established by the BPI and BARD" and the album nominated artists "experience a large increase in record sales."

For my good health and sanity I think its best that I forget about the whole thing!

'til next year...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think this year's line up is the perfect example of why making music should be banned in this country. Even if we stop good new music from being made, it would be worth it to stop the endless torrent of garbage releases coming out every week.

It's for our own good.
How about we shoot all the marketeers instead?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Banning Jo Whiley and Lauren Laverne might be a start.

Good to see Amy Winehouse getting some love here... thought her first album was pretty great actually. A pastiche in some ways, sure, but at least her real love and passion for the music comes shining through. Thankfully irony-free.

swears

preppy-kei
I recommend avoiding mainstream radio and television broadcasts if at all possible.

They should be banned as well.

noel emits

I overheard this old guy (70s maybe) yesterday talking about how he refuses to have a TV but knows that it puts him out of step with most of the poeple around him. Respect to that old dude. It's weird when you realise how much so many people live in a world created by tv and the newspapers. Some bloke off big brother was in my local crappomarket the other day and I felt like the bloody TV had just assaulted me while I was just out going about my business.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'm sure that old guy was alright, but I usually vote for telly addicts over people who choose not to have a TV on the grounds that it allows them more time to absorb 'higher culture'. The latter are usually po-faced, pseudo-intellectual twats.

swears

preppy-kei
I'm kidding around about banning stuff of course, but I hardly ever watch TV, never read magazines or blogs anymore, only really hear new music if I go clubbing now and again... I can't be arsed because most media just makes me cringe.

swears

preppy-kei
I'm sure that old guy was alright, but I usually vote for telly addicts over people who choose not to have a TV on the grounds that it allows them more time to absorb 'higher culture'. The latter are usually po-faced, pseudo-intellectual twats.

Well, I don't watch telly because even as pure, dumb entertainment it's not really that entertaining. I wouldn't say I was smart enough to grasp the finer points of "higher culture".

noel emits

That's one of TV's big messages right there isn't it? Ghastly to see it in action.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
nah fuck that. i enjoy feeling superior.
It's funny how much the spitting and seething around here resembles old fashined indie kids getting pissed off about manufactured pop.

Maybe with more reason, but the constant ability to stay in a state of self righteous fury that bands we consider 'unworthy' and 'total shite' are being rewarded crtitically and financially is quite impressive.

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
i was joking.

I honestly don't care what other people do with music: i used to get pissed off about it but now i just don't.

mos dan

fact music
the constant ability to stay in a state of self righteous fury that bands we consider 'unworthy' and 'total shite' are being rewarded crtitically and financially is quite impressive.

i want to be absolutely clear, my self-righteous fury is centred almost entirely on the lack of reason and logic at the awards' core. i'm coming at this like richard dawkins, not a music snob. ;)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
That's one of TV's big messages right there isn't it? Ghastly to see it in action.

Ghastly to hear that people actually watch TV and enjoy it from time to time? :rolleyes: As with music, cinema, literature and other media, I can take what I like from it and leave the rest. And I presume people here aren't recommending throwing out their stereo and burning their books? ;) Why do people have this incredibly patronising idea that TV must be all full of shite, just because it has become such a mass medium?

I thought Dissensians were into subtlety of opinion? ;)

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's funny how much the spitting and seething around here resembles old fashined indie kids getting pissed off about manufactured pop.

Maybe with more reason, but the constant ability to stay in a state of self righteous fury that bands we consider 'unworthy' and 'total shite' are being rewarded crtitically and financially is quite impressive.

I think people just want the Mercury to be more than another industry-sponsored love-in dedicated to the pursuit of sales. I don't think anyone (aside from themselves) could argue that the Klaxons are doing anything really original...