IdleRich

IdleRich
I'm not sure, but Conte looks set to dismantle his own monster now that he's got Inter on the up again.
How good can they be though with Lukaku up front? He's fine, he has his strengths, but he's definitely a level below world class. And Juventus have so many world class players they let this young Italian international go to Everton for a few bob. Saw a bit of him today v City but not enough to judge much really. Napoli might be a better bet to challenge Juventus over the whole season... though what do I know really, I'm not actually watching these games.

version

Well, they're currently top of the league with six wins in six games, thirteen goals and only two conceded. Obviously it's early days, but they look really solid and it's probably gonna be between them and Juve. Conte's a better manager than Sarri too.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Well, they're currently top of the league with six wins in six games, thirteen goals and only two conceded. Obviously it's early days, but they look really solid and it's probably gonna be between them and Juve. Conte's a better manager than Sarri too.
I like both of them but you might be right. I get the impression from what I've read that they have not been totally convincing. Hope they keep the pressure on though, Napoli lost the other day I think.
Did you read that article in the Guardian about Ribery at Fiorentina? Could be interesting.

version

I like both of them but you might be right.

Sarri's got a more appealing style when it clicks, but the Europa win last season was his first major trophy whereas Conte has a Serie B title, three Serie A titles, two Italian Super Cups, a Premier League title and an FA Cup.

Did you read that article in the Guardian about Ribery at Fiorentina? Could be interesting.

Nah. Link?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The Prem is remarkable in that, last time I looked, Spurs were third favourites for the title at 66/1

Everton-Man City sounded like a cracker, alas was only able to follow it on my phone

On the Lukaku question, I thought he was world class at the world cup with Belgium, esp vs Brazil. Like a different player. But at United he did look a step or two below that of course.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Prem is remarkable in that, last time I looked, Spurs were third favourites for the title at 66/1

Everton-Man City sounded like a cracker, alas was only able to follow it on my phone

On the Lukaku question, I thought he was world class at the world cup with Belgium, esp vs Brazil. Like a different player. But at United he did look a step or two below that of course.
His touch seems to let him down so often although his finishing is still sharp - maybe it's a confidence thing.

Franck Ribéry and a tale of the unexpected for Fiorentina

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...entina?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

IdleRich

IdleRich
Video not working. But yeah it was a good game yesterday, City deserved to win but Everton defended well mainly and created a fair few chances of their own. They could have got a draw in fact. De Bruyne was good, Mahrez was very good - Sterling was lively but lacked final product and ultimately gave the ball away frustratingl often until he stuck that one in (just about) at the end.
Love the passing from Mahrez, check the one at 1.23 and the other at 8.10

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I can't stand Guardiola in interview, but would be churlish to deny that he improves players. Mahrez seems now to have the consistency and decision-making that everyone always said he lacked. Maybe partly because he knows that he won't get played at city if he doesn't have those.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I only saw the goals, but Bayern looked incredible from those five minutes. Some of those Gnabry strikes - wow. And each of Lewandowski's goals required a pretty special striker's eye.

Much as I've historically disliked them, I do like the thought that Bayern could be building a new team to compete at the top table with Coutinho, who I've long liked but wasn't much cop/allowed to be much cop at Barca by all accounts (I rarely saw any of their matches). At the moment Europe needs some iconic teams to rise up, since an Ajax will never be allowed to flourish beyond one season in today's game, and the Spanish game seems to be going through a crisis.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't City's year to break through in Europe, at least to reach the final.

entertainment

Coutinho wasn't faultless for his flop at Barca, but the coach was mainly responsible.

Put him in a role that fit him terribly. He's a playmaker first and foremost. Needs players a head of him to link up with. At Barca he was basically tasked with either going past players on his own or running deep, both of which are hard when your not a quick guy.

A few times, out of necessity, he was put back into a 10 role and he instantly came alive. His creativity, ability to navigate tight spaces and shooting became applicaple in a different way. But next game, it was back out wide. Now, Griezmann is suffering under the same clueless managing, while an overweight, burned out Suarez that hasn't been himself since the 15/16 season is hogging is position.