slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Mmm...at least they could defend a free kick then...oh, and win a few things. But with the piggy bank sealed...fact is there's enough talent in that team without a big spend. Essien was missed. Ballack was missing...:slanted:

tom lea

to be fair, wilkins does have the cadence of a caretaker. or a car park assistant.

all about throwing zillions at zola and clarke, innit? it's gonna get worse before it gets better, but it's a step in the right direction.

crackerjack

all about throwing zillions at zola and clarke, innit? it's gonna get worse before it gets better, but it's a step in the right direction.

They're the sentimental dream team. But are they any good?

Wasn't impressed with what I saw of West Ham yesterday. They're OK, but no real fluency about them.

mixed_biscuits

Scolari underperformed with a very able Portuguese squad, persisting with unadventurous tactics and showing no ability to think on his feet. History has repeated itself at the Bridge.

All in all, a good decision.

crackerjack

You're getting Guus

Lucky you.

I've always thought the cult of Hiddink was a bit overegged. But in the circs, this is as good as it gets.

edit: Only just read the full piece

"This would only be for the next two or three months until the end of the season," he said.

"I will not leave my job with the Russian national team. It's out of the question.

Very odd. See if that pans out.

tom lea

i think taking someone like him til the end of the year, then reevaluating the situation with the luxury of a summer is the best way to go about this.

was thinking about scolari's compo today..surely after the mourinho case, as well as other high-profile massive pay offs (mancini, ranieri at valencia), roman would've had some sort of deal in place where if scolari's underachieving he has the option to sack him with, say, half the compensation intact, if it's less than a year. you'd hope so. he's not stupid - not in a business sense.

kenyon, on the other hand..

crackerjack

i think taking someone like him til the end of the year, then reevaluating the situation with the luxury of a summer is the best way to go about this.

was thinking about scolari's compo today..surely after the mourinho case, as well as other high-profile massive pay offs (mancini, ranieri at valencia), roman would've had some sort of deal in place where if scolari's underachieving he has the option to sack him with, say, half the compensation intact, if it's less than a year. you'd hope so. he's not stupid - not in a business sense.

kenyon, on the other hand..

Well he had him on a 2-year deal, which is pretty short by most standards I think. Someone calculated last night that he's spent nigh on £40m in comp in the last 15 months :eek:

I am available....

IdleRich

IdleRich
I don't agree with that at all, the last thing they need is another managerial change in a few months. Why not get the new guy in now, he won't have the pressure of expectation in the league as they are already all but out of contention and that means he will be well prepared for next season having played competitive games.

crackerjack

I don't agree with that at all, the last thing they need is another managerial change in a few months. Why not get the new guy in now, he won't have the pressure of expectation in the league as they are already all but out of contention and that means he will be well prepared for next season having played competitive games.

If he does well, I reckon the odds are it will be like Beckham's Milan 'loan', only without any awkwardness from the other side, since RA allegedly pays half his Russian salary.

crackerjack

What channel's it on?

Sky. Not watching cos I'm working, but saw the 2nd goal replayed and it's genius. Robs a defender, turns round, changes feet twice at least, in the corner from 15 yards and tight angle. City will be so pissed off he's wearing gold not blue.

hucks

Your Message Here
So, who watched the game last night then? What went wrong? Who wants to take me through it...

Nothing went wrong, as such, Spain are just a lot better than England. It's about technique, fundamentally - Wright-Phillips, Agbonlahor, Downing can't receive the ball under pressure, cos they'll lose it. The Spanish midfield puts you under a lot of pressure.

In the post match analysis, Allardyce was saying that for all the above, the two goals came from easily avoidable mistakes. Sure, but that's what happens when you're put under pressure for 90 minutes. I bet if you look at Man U's goals in all those 1-0 wins, you could say the marking was bad, or the defence stood off or whatever. But they are in control for so much of the game that the mistakes are inevitable.

So England looked like most of the sides Spain beat at the Euros.