scottdisco

rip this joint please
good luck Dan!

anyone else going to take in a match this weekend?

i'm off to Crewe tomorrow, to see Tranmere with our kid and his Birkenhead mate. (Rovers have been doing well of late so they should turn over the Alex, we hope.)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"The strangeness o fthat just struck me. Can you imagine if Gordon Brown owned Manchester United?"
Basically no. My mind just refuses to accept it.

anyone else going to take in a match this weekend?
No but I'm going to play one. It's this team who play in the same league as us, seems that they've been booking this pitch down by Old St every Saturday for the last eight years or something. They've got a list of more than a hundred people and every week whoever replies first gets a game. They use this thing as a kind of qualification process for their a-team, rating players and stuff. Might be quite competitive but I'm up for it.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
No but I'm going to play one. It's this team who play in the same league as us, seems that they've been booking this pitch down by Old St every Saturday for the last eight years or something. They've got a list of more than a hundred people and every week whoever replies first gets a game. They use this thing as a kind of qualification process for their a-team, rating players and stuff. Might be quite competitive but I'm up for it.

ah well, big up your chest, healthy body and mind and all that, far better than what i'll be doing which is standing on some windswept south Cestrian terrace, doubtless moaning about something or other.

let us know how you get on, they sound quite tasty.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not better, just different.

"let us know how you get on, they sound quite tasty"
Ah well, it's all relative isn't it - that's the good thing about football I reckon, you can find your level (or ideally a level slightly below yours) and tell everyone how well you are doing all the time. In the grand scheme of things I'm sure they're nothing special but from a personal point of view I reckon it's a bit of a challenge. Either way, I'm just really enjoying playing footie at the moment.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
did you win Rich?

good for you on enjoying yourself atm!

congratulations to AFC, 3-1 victors over Chelmsford, it's Oxford, Mansfield and York for you next season!! (and Altrincham, of course.)

scottdisco

rip this joint please
redux

ah well, big up your chest, healthy body and mind and all that, far better than what i'll be doing which is standing on some windswept south Cestrian terrace, doubtless moaning about something or other.

this is in fact exactly what i ended up doing at Crewe Alex, 'thanks' to Tranmere collapsing like a part-time non-league outfit in the final ten minutes.

on the plus side, the Rovers fans didn't half amuse me with their City's going down / with a billion in the bank.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"did you win Rich?
good for you on enjoying yourself atm!"
Yes I did thanks. Dunno what I was worrying about, they were mostly duffers and it wasn't too serious at all. Good fun basically. Not sure I'll be playing this week though if the weather stays like this....

scottdisco

rip this joint please
nice one Rich.
:D

BTW.

Torres yesterday.

yup.

p.s.
did anyone see the Stoke sending off?
what was he thinking?!

red mist i suppose.

Do not be mistaken, do not be misled, we are not scousers, we're from Birkenhead

etc.

hucks

Your Message Here
did you win Rich?

good for you on enjoying yourself atm!

congratulations to AFC, 3-1 victors over Chelmsford, it's Oxford, Mansfield and York for you next season!! (and Altrincham, of course.)

First ever game of football I went to was Altrincham versus some chumps at Moss Lane. It was around the time they knocked Birmingham out of the FA Cup, including scoring past David Seaman, fact fans.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
What's going on with Robbie Keane? Makes no sense to me.

Rafa the gaffer.

shakes head

good lord.

BTW: Hucks, i'm deeply impressed with your first ever football game!

my first games were various City for years as a toddler/small boy. the first Alty game i went up was a late 80's mullering of Fisher, that was at Moss Lane.

what brought you there Hucks? (i am assuming you grew up in Norwich, i admit.)

hucks

Your Message Here
BTW: Hucks, i'm deeply impressed with your first ever football game!

my first games were various City for years as a toddler/small boy. the first Alty game i went up was a late 80's mullering of Fisher, that was at Moss Lane.

what brought you there Hucks? (i am assuming you grew up in Norwich, i admit.)

Ah, I lived in Sale until I was about 8 when I moved to Norwich. I was a Man U fan, then ditched them for the canaries. A great move, up there with Keane to Liverpool :rolleyes:

Actually I can't see why Spurs want him back. I know Defoe is injured, but surely there were other strikers available? Defoe only left because he wasn't getting a game because him and Keane can't play together. So when he's fit again, what happens?

IdleRich

IdleRich
"Actually I can't see why Spurs want him back. I know Defoe is injured, but surely there were other strikers available? Defoe only left because he wasn't getting a game because him and Keane can't play together. So when he's fit again, what happens?"
Yeah, this is what I mean about it doesn't make sense. How pleased can you be to see the return of a guy that left you for a bigger club and is back a few weeks later 'cause he didn't make it? Pleased enough if he scores loads and you avoid relegation I guess.

crackerjack

Yeah, this is what I mean about it doesn't make sense. How pleased can you be to see the return of a guy that left you for a bigger club and is back a few weeks later 'cause he didn't make it?

I think it makes sense for Spurs. £12-15m is about right for Keane. He's a proven talent who had a few bad months, not vice versa.

I know Defoe is injured, but surely there were other strikers available? Defoe only left because he wasn't getting a game because him and Keane can't play together. So when he's fit again, what happens?

Was that specifically Defoe and Keane? Surely the presence of Berbatov ws the main reason for offing Defoe.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I think it makes sense for Spurs. £12-15m is about right for Keane. He's a proven talent who had a few bad months, not vice versa."
Pragmatically it makes sense but it's kind of like getting back with your ex after being dumped by the person you left them for - it may be the best you can hope for in the circumstances but you both know it's not real love.

crackerjack

Pragmatically it makes sense but it's kind of like getting back with your ex after being dumped by the person you left them for - it may be the best you can hope for in the circumstances but you both know it's not real love.

So true

Adams returned to management in April 1999 with Division Three team Brighton & Hove Albion. In his second full season as manager, 2000–01, Adams guided Brighton to promotion as Division Three champions after the club had spent five seasons in the league's basement division. He set the foundations for Brighton to achieve a second successive promotion as Division Two champions in 2001–02.

At the end of last season.

Since Adams returned.

edit: although, of course, it should also be said that anyone believing players pick which side to play for based on any reason other than money - or certainly anything as improbable as love - should hire full-time minders, as they're too naive to be let out in public.

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Well the scouse derby's been pretty boring, so I can't blame ITV for randomly wandering off for some adverts mid way through the second half of extra time. And missing the goal...

crackerjack

Well the scouse derby's been pretty boring, so I can't blame ITV for randomly wandering off for some adverts mid way through the second half of extra time. And missing the goal...

no, really? i stopped watching because it was such a snooze and cos i was hoping liverpool lost - with both their goalscorers injured and the other one sold, they're massively overstretched without having the fa cup to worry about.

hucks

Your Message Here
Yeah, nice goal a couple of minutes from time. Sackings at ITV in the morning, I should think. Torres and Gerrard injured? Time for Robbie Keane to...ah.