hucks

Your Message Here
United are favourites, but it's nothing like as inevitable as some are making out.

Yeah, myself included. I may go back and edit that...

Recent form is interesting, though. Man U have caught up 6 points on Liverpool in 8 games, in which time they have scored only one goal per game but have not conceded a single goal. (Five one nil wins, two nil nil draws and the 3-0 v Chelsea)

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/oform.html

And camcorder operator Paul Jewell? This is a family club! But it'll have to be someone out of work, which makes me glad that Peter Reid is currently employed as manager of Thailand.

Last edited:

crackerjack

Yeah, myself included. I may go back and edit that...

Recent form is interesting, though. Man U have caught up 6 points on Liverpool in 8 games, in which time they have scored only one goal per game but have not conceded a single goal. (Five one nil wins, two nil nil draws and the 3-0 v Chelsea)

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/PR/oform.html

And camcorder operator Paul Jewell? This is a family club! But it'll have to be someone out of work, which makes me glad that Peter Reid is currently employed as manager of Thailand.

Isn't it about time Delia took the job on herself? She's arleady got the half-time team talk down pat. Come on Carrow Road, let's be having you!

IdleRich

IdleRich
"before the Stoke match, Liverpool scored 9 in 3, compared to Utd's 6 in 4 matches, so unless 'at the moment' means 'in their last game' that doesn't stand up."
Well, I'm not sure that United are scoring enough either but one is enough if you aren't conceding any at all. Wonder how long that can continue for though.

don_quixote

Trent End
as a forest fan, would love it if calderwood was offered your job but i can't see it. he's a good manager and shouldn't have been sacked.

crackerjack

Well, I'm not sure that United are scoring enough either but one is enough if you aren't conceding any at all. Wonder how long that can continue for though.

It's one of the themes of the season (thoough not much commnted on) that none of the big 4 are playing that well. Liverpool are the only ones exceeding expectations, but no one would be shocked if they drew 5 games in a row. United are brilliant at the back, but a shadow of last year's team going forward. Chels and Arse look lost.

Just coincidence? Or have the Stokes & Hulls worked out how to play them?

I suspect this year's Champs will have the lowest points total in long time.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"It's one of the themes of the season (thoough not much commnted on) that none of the big 4 are playing that well. Liverpool are the only ones exceeding expectations, but no one would be shocked if they drew 5 games in a row. United are brilliant at the back, but a shadow of last year's team going forward. Chels and Arse look lost.
Just coincidence? Or have the Stokes & Hulls worked out how to play them?"
Both maybe. They're definitely not having things all their own way, it's just that none of the other teams (except Villa) have been able to assert their own dominance and against the other teams and break away from the pack.
I wonder how they will get on in the Champions League this time round, they've all got fairly tasty ties coming up against teams who could knock them out. Chelsea have already been heavily beaten and there could be more waiting. I don't think that it will be like last time where every premiership side beat every non-premiership side in every tie after the group stage (in fact I don't think they even lost any legs except to other English sides).

scottdisco

rip this joint please
interesting:

Single-goal victories were never so valuable than in 1996 when United racked up eight 1-0 wins - seven coming in the second half of the season - to eat up Newcastle's 12-point lead at the top of the table.

(here.)

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not off the top of my head but I think this just might be the best goal I've ever seen

(apologies if it's old news)

jenks

thread death
Not off the top of my head but I think this just might be the best goal I've ever seen

(apologies if it's old news)

Thanks for that - me and Junior J have just got back from football training. He would like to nominate his own hattrick from last year when he came on at half time and scored all three goals for his side to win 3-2 from being 2-0 down at the interval, each goal progressively better than theone before, (as i think all hattricks should be)

IdleRich

IdleRich
"He would like to nominate his own hattrick from last year when he came on at half time and scored all three goals for his side to win 3-2 from being 2-0 down at the interval, each goal progressively better than theone before, (as i think all hattricks should be)"
That's the most satisfying kind of hatrick, not just three of the goals in a twelve nil spannering but three crucial ones that totally turn the direction of the game. Please pass on my congratulations.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"So United inch ever closer to the top spot... "
... and that last inch has seen them there for the first time this season.

"Well, I'm not sure that United are scoring enough either but one is enough if you aren't conceding any at all. Wonder how long that can continue for though."
At least one more game it turns out.

tom lea

first three goals in this compilation:
right foot, header, left foot to boot. that gourcuff goal's obscene btw.

tom lea

btw, i know it's a dick-ish thing to say, but villa have been absurdly lucky in recent weeks. sunderland were robbed yesterday, and isn't it three own goal winners in five weeks?

crackerjack

ROMAN Abramovich, the Russian billionaire, has been taking soundings over selling Chelsea football club to Gulf Arabs.

Representatives of the oligarch have travelled to Saudi Arabia and Dubai to elicit interest in the club, Gulf sources have told The Sunday Times.

At least one of the meetings was with members of the Saudi royal family. There has been no evidence so far of a potential buyer.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/chelsea/article5537222.ece

tom lea

STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF OWNER
Posted on: Sun 18 Jan 2009

Defamation proceedings will be commenced tomorrow (Monday) in London by Roman Abramovich against the publishers of The Sunday Times.

This follows the publication by them of false claims that he wants to sell his interest in Chelsea FC. Mr Abramovich has already made quite clear, through the directors of Chelsea, that he has no intention of doing so and that neither he nor any of his appointed representatives has been pursuing any such course of action.