don_quixote

Trent End
*that* fa cup final may have been dull but the winning goal, as mentioned before in this thread, was an absolute fucking cracker.

and it's not the dullest fa cup final. that 96 man utd vs liverpool match was equally as awful.

crackerjack

*that* fa cup final may have been dull but the winning goal, as mentioned before in this thread, was an absolute fucking cracker.

and it's not the dullest fa cup final. that 96 man utd vs liverpool match was equally as awful.

arse v man utd about 05ish was worse

crackerjack

That was good! Man U missed like 1,000,000 chances. Chelsea Villa was a shocker, true

all i can remember was football's favourite buccaneering aesthetes playing catenaccio...and then winning on pens, which made me smile, obv.

i watched the chels-villa game with a mate who was unemployed at the time. when i placed my customary optimistic bet, involving tons of goals. he told me gambling's a mug's game, but if he had to he'd have put a fiver on chelsea 1-0 and de matteo first goal. the smoke billowing out of his ears was the best thing about the match

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
there have indeed been a lot of shocking/defensive cup finals, bizarrely more so since the FA Cup has fallen in kudos. liverpool - west ham has been the only classic in a while.

CL finals have been way more exciting, and not just because of the (generally) higher quality. With much more at stake, it would seem to stand to reason that they would be cagier affairs...*

Ah,t he vagaries of football.

*mind you, WC finals are often awful.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
am watching the Liverpool match now. utterly hilarious fare thus far at Anfield, what the hell are they playing at?

cobblers.

John Barnes has done well to get work with ESPN after his torrid time for the Trannies.

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
As dives go, it wasn't the worst. He would have definitely been brought down if he hadn't dived. Not much different in principle to the Bent-Gomes incident at the weekend.

crackerjack

As dives go, it wasn't the worst. He would have definitely been brought down if he hadn't dived. Not much different in principle to the Bent-Gomes incident at the weekend.

Pretty much what I thought, though I'll acknowledge a bias. Assuming Ngog didn't go down, the best he could expect is breaking stride and losing balance because the defender's leg is where it shouldn't be. The idiocy of the self-righteous commentator telling us how he hates diving, but it's OK to play for it by leaving a trailing leg in, just beggars belief.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Pretty much what I thought, though I'll acknowledge a bias. Assuming Ngog didn't go down, the best he could expect is breaking stride and losing balance because the defender's leg is where it shouldn't be. The idiocy of the self-righteous commentator telling us how he hates diving, but it's OK to play for it by leaving a trailing leg in, just beggars belief.

fair play all, bias would have been a better choice of words.

i haven't watched much ESPN before and i was pretty bemused at how bad their set-up is, in terms of both the commentary, and the studio analysts.

i guess all the 'talent' is at SKY and the BBC in this country already.

er, hang on, what did i just say?!

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train

I have a bias too, but I don't think it's an unreasonable opinion. When I saw the Bent incident on MOTD I said to my brother that that kind of diving - where a foul would take place if the player hadn't dived - should invalidate the 'foul' because the player would have gone over anyway. To be consistent, I would have to say the same about Ngog, and would, but seeing as that isn't the rule I don't think it is the most unreasonable penalty decision you're going to see all season.

mixed_biscuits

That's because Gerrard dives all the time - we've become inured to it.

Ngog wouldn't have needed to break stride, the leg was lying on the ground and not in his way. Probabilistically, it's more likely that one would miss a flat, extended leg placed across one's path than be impeded by it, as the proportion of one's stride length that it would take up is small; attempting to pre-empt the natural flow of events by deciding it to be an insurmountable obstacle and diving is unjustified.