favorite musical moments in film.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I also really liked the fact they used about a dozen Broken Social Scene songs in Half-Nelson, as if Gosling's character was actually a massive fan of the band and he was associating the scenarios in the film with bits of music that he loved, the way I imagine most of us here do...

Quite liked the music, yeah, but what a ridiculous (if quite entertaining) film! The way it was presented/reviewed was as gritty realism, but it was no more realistic (OK, a little bit) than Dangerous Minds... White teacher goes into the ghetto and is 'down' with all the Hispanic and black kids after a (very short) period of teething troubles....spare me. Oh, and crack (?) use allows one to be able to be function fine apart from a few headaches, or something.

borderpolice

I love the use of music in the very last scene of Claire Dennis' Beau Travail. The choice of music suggests a complete reinterpretation of the film. You can find it on youTube, but if you have not seen this phantastic movie and plan to, i recommend not spoiling your enjoyment by knowing the last scene.

Last edited:

bnek

First scene of Nowhere to Hide (Korean thriller by Myung-Se Lee) choreographs a brutal murder on the Forty Steps in Inchon to the Bee Gees' 'Holiday'. It's an absolute John Woo-type masterpiece. The rest of the film is a relative disappointment.

hmm i just watched this clip and it looks fucking sweet, should i track this movie down or is it only worthwhile for that scene? i live about a block from chinatown here so i could probably pick it up easily enough. can anyone recommend some other korean/japanese/hk films i should get while im at it? - i know thats crazy broad, but you can only see that kind of stuff at festivals and its hard to know what to buy w/out any direction. what do you consider 'essential' in that area?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
hmm i just watched this clip and it looks fucking sweet, should i track this movie down or is it only worthwhile for that scene? i live about a block from chinatown here so i could probably pick it up easily enough. can anyone recommend some other korean/japanese/hk films i should get while im at it? - i know thats crazy broad, but you can only see that kind of stuff at festivals and its hard to know what to buy w/out any direction. what do you consider 'essential' in that area?

It's watchable, but compared to Hard Boiled etc, well, it's not in the same league. I just love the choice of music in the scene - the Gibbs have never sounded so haunting.

HK films I have no knowledge of. Korean - been disappointed by A Tale of Two Sisters and Oldboy, but others raved about them.

Japanes - get Audition. It's a masterpiece, IMO. Hana-Bi is widely feted - I like it, but it is a little slow for certain tastes. Then, as Zhao recommended upthread, Kiyoshi Kurosawa films might be worth checking. Also, look into the 60s Japanese New Wave - Onibaba, Woman of the Dunes etc etc

dHarry

I'd second/third Rebekah Del Rio's "Llorando" (acapella Spanish version of Crying by Roy Orbison) in the Club Silencio scene from Mulholland Drive - maybe the best in a long list of Lynch's music-enhanced scenes - sound design and use of music for all his movies is amazing.

This scene in Carax's Mauvais Sang/The Night Is Young where "nothing's moving", Denis Lavant twirls the radio dial and after a traditional chanson about love & death Bowie's Modern Love comes on, Lavant goes running down the street like he's trying to dance/run/break out of his skin, is an awkwardly beautiful balletic Chaplinesque scene of pure kinetic cinematic poetry. "You'll see. It's magic." (Fantastic film too.)

Last edited:

crackerjack

Continuing my theme of choosing the bleeding obvious....

The bit with La Marseillaise in Casablanca is my favourite scene in any movie ever.

And Assault On Precinct 13 wouldn't have been half as good without John Carpenter's own theme tune.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Another one occurred:

The dark ambient radio crackle during the opening of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original!) is like Stars of the Lid or something 20 years avant la lettre (pretentious French phrase required, if misused: we are talking about film after all). Incredible.

bnek

It's watchable, but compared to Hard Boiled etc, well, it's not in the same league. I just love the choice of music in the scene - the Gibbs have never sounded so haunting.

HK films I have no knowledge of. Korean - been disappointed by A Tale of Two Sisters and Oldboy, but others raved about them.

Japanes - get Audition. It's a masterpiece, IMO. Hana-Bi is widely feted - I like it, but it is a little slow for certain tastes. Then, as Zhao recommended upthread, Kiyoshi Kurosawa films might be worth checking. Also, look into the 60s Japanese New Wave - Onibaba, Woman of the Dunes etc etc

cheers for the tips, ill have to look into it...

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Another one occurred:

The dark ambient radio crackle during the opening of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original!) is like Stars of the Lid or something 20 years avant la lettre (pretentious French phrase required, if misused: we are talking about film after all). Incredible.

Yeah Tobe Hooper's sound on that is totally, totally amazing, he really nails it, that film's all about the sound.

I think this is my favourite moment of music in film

from Liquid Sky, and I don't care.

tom pr

Quite liked the music, yeah, but what a ridiculous (if quite entertaining) film! The way it was presented/reviewed was as gritty realism, but it was no more realistic (OK, a little bit) than Dangerous Minds... White teacher goes into the ghetto and is 'down' with all the Hispanic and black kids after a (very short) period of teething troubles....spare me. Oh, and crack (?) use allows one to be able to be function fine apart from a few headaches, or something.
The worst bit is where he turns to the black girl and does the whole 'oh no you didn't' thing - and the rest of the class laugh! As if! I do think it's a very good film though, despite the flaws. I'm a bit of a mark for Gosling...

Japanes - get Audition. It's a masterpiece, IMO.
Beautiful film. The first time I watched it I ended up slightly disturbed and very confused, but it eventually became one of my all-time favourites. It's a shame that a lot of people just love it for that scene, because there's so much more to it.

And speaking of Hana-Bi, I've been meaning to watch Sonatine for years. Every time I hear people talk about it it sounds brilliant, but I keep putting it off...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Beautiful film. The first time I watched it I ended up slightly disturbed and very confused, but it eventually became one of my all-time favourites. It's a shame that a lot of people just love it for that scene, because there's so much more to it.

I actually think the scen you're referring to is almost overkill. I love the stuff that precedes it more - the weird double-take of the scene in the cafe; the visits to that nightclub, the guy with the piano (?). And the scene with the moving sack/ringing phone! It's kind of Lynchian, but almost more powerful because less knowing.

borderpolice

I actually think the scen you're referring to is almost overkill. I love the stuff that precedes it more - the weird double-take of the scene in the cafe; the visits to that nightclub, the guy with the piano (?). And the scene with the moving sack/ringing phone! It's kind of Lynchian, but almost more powerful because less knowing.

I agree that this scene is a bit drawn out. in fact i went to see that film on a date, partly because it was billed as a "dark romantic comedy" without any hint of the graphic violence ... BAD IDEA!

there's no real narrative necessity to go on with torturing, once the guy has the flashbacks while she treats him and the whole plot unravels as the guilty conscience of the male mind, i.e. a story about masculine sexuality, promiscuity and its effects.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"And the scene with the moving sack/ringing phone!"
Yes, that's terrifying, it really sent shivers down my spine.

"glad i'm not the only one who thinks Oldboy was a waste of time"
I rate Oldboy. I just think it's a great premise. My flatmate compared it to Amelie and in a weird kind of way I can see exactly where he's coming from.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yes, that's terrifying, it really sent shivers down my spine.

I rate Oldboy. I just think it's a great premise. My flatmate compared it to Amelie and in a weird kind of way I can see exactly where he's coming from.

(1) Mine too.

(2) In that he'd want to shut Audrey Tatou/Amelie in a room for 20 years and not let her out? If so, I support this.