Burial "Untrue"

Maybe I'm naive but I really think it might just be some homey British guy, who wants no part of the spotlight, and is really actually afraid of it.

Things like this...

Burial: It's always been difficult for me to make tunes. i'd just sit or walk waiting for night to fall hoping i'd make something i liked. Or come back in and try to make the club echo in my head from going out. I'd chosen certain vocals because the mood I was in. I wanted more vocals cos they attempt to form songs, its kind of sad but they get to you in the end, i don't want a singer i want something else. Also all i listened to for a year was Black Secret Technology. I still made most of the tunes in the dead of the night, and when you do that you have to let the tune kind of hypnotize you otherwise you'll just fall asleep or play Playstation. The tunes just lulled me, and you need a vocal to do that, and a certain type of sound to echo and circle and sway into a pattern. The moodiness made the tunes, not me. Now when I listen to them, they're ramshackle, DIY and rolling but I know there is a thing trapped in them so that when I look back on them, even if its dry, I know when it was made, I know what was going on that day, its like stapling real life to the side of the tune. I can't get a singer or some session musician to come in and play or sing some dry song, so I've got to get people singing acapellas or just mates singing in their phones and re-cut up what they're saying. Sometimes I run out of a vocal and I have to re-cut up each word and make them sing a whole new verse, and you cant tell what they're saying. But I feel I can make them say certain lyrics.

...just strikes me as Burial being someone who doesn't neccesarily make tunes for other people, but for himself. The music helps get his/her own ghosts out, and it just so happens they sound beautiful when put to sound....

...of course that could just be whoever is behind Burial making a very intelligent, elaborate portrait of the who they want us all to think Burial is...

mms

sometimes
Zhao: I love Shackleton but do you not find his whole pan-global percussion fests equally samey (also- and you're the right guy to ask on this perhaps- do they not measure up a bit short in comparison to the original sources he's drawing on...?)

i like shackletons stuff as the gerrybuilt feel of his productions add sound gritty, slightly distorted, of the originals really, played back sometime in the future over a distorting stereo.

DonRuba

Stocktown man
Can you still listen to or download the Kode9 mix of the new Burial tracks somewhere? Sorry if this has already been mentioned, can't seem to find any info or link.

N

nomadologist

it's probably k-punk pretending he's like a 17-year-old playstation playing dude from london just so everyone has more reasons to believe in hauntology

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
nick_berry.jpg

Nick Berryal, looking haunted and enigmatic.

"Yeah, I want my tunes to sound like a heartbeat, like a distant heartbeat, or an ECG machine like in Casualty. I love that sound."

Last edited:

Mr Jeg

suck your thumb
but on a serious note this album is utterly amazing. zhao, that stuff you were saying about how you want music that pulls at the heart strings - that's EXACTLY what burial's music does for me and so many other people. it's a different strokes for different folks thing i suppose, but burial's stuff hits me harder than the vast majority of music out there.

i actually found it hard to listen to 'archangel' at first, was feeling a bit down on the weekend and i found that song totally overwhelming. it's on constant loop now though. and 'raver' is ruddy genius with the way it takes elements from so many different styles of 'nuum music.