Burial "Untrue"

it's probably k-punk pretending he's like a 17-year-old playstation playing dude from london just so everyone has more reasons to believe in hauntology

hahaha

this would be a great story...

K-punk does speak of the music likes it's his baby...

Near future, maybe... But listening to Burial as I walk through damp and drizzly South London streets in this abortive Spring, it strikes me that the LP is very London Now - which is to say, it suggests a city haunted not only by the past but by lost futures. It seems to have less to do with a near future than with the tantalising ache of a future just out of reach.

and is this is admission then......

Burial is the kind of album I've dreamt of for years; literally.

:p

N

nomadologist

but on a serious note this album is utterly amazing. zhao, that stuff you were saying about how you want music that pulls at the heart strings - that's EXACTLY what burial's music does for me and so many other people. it's a different strokes for different folks thing i suppose, but burial's stuff hits me harder than the vast majority of music out there.

i actually found it hard to listen to 'archangel' at first, was feeling a bit down on the weekend and i found that song totally overwhelming. it's on constant loop now though. and 'raver' is ruddy genius with the way it takes elements from so many different styles of 'nuum music.

i've been listening to archangel all day at top volumes, at my parents house, they think i'm insane. it's the most soulful album i've heard in a long time.

STN

sou'wester
listening to it now. It's so great I sort of wished they'd put it out on cassette.

All Burial's stuff reminds me of 'Time' off the first Smith and Mighty LP, which is a very soulful track in my opinion.

swears

preppy-kei
Burial is so blatantly swears it's untrue.

See this is funny, 'cause as much as I love some of it, I really know fuck all about UKG and Jungle/Drum and Bass. Burial's interviews remind me of Luka (Heronbone) more than anybody else on the net.

I don't see why he couldn't just be y'know, some kid...

sodiumnightlife

Sweet Virginia
does anyone else feel like they'd be kind of disappointed if they found out who burial was? I'm really curious, but i also have this big fan boy picture in my head. I'm like a giggly teenager over burial (ok so i'm a teenager, but i don't giggle much,) and it's really rather quite nice.

Rollo Tamasi innit.

I don't like this album. I hope it grows on me; I hate Archangel. Really, it just feels too "streets at night," the whole thing. Like a template. I want some emotion and change ups; it's just too Burial, if that makes sense.

N

nomadologist

Huh. I think it's head and shoulders above the first one.

Alfons

Way of the future
does anyone else feel like they'd be kind of disappointed if they found out who burial was? I'm really curious, but i also have this big fan boy picture in my head. I'm like a giggly teenager over burial (ok so i'm a teenager, but i don't giggle much,) and it's really rather quite nice.

yeah, I was a bit curious at first, but now I don't want to know at all. I think it's really cool how he's pulled this thing of.

boomnoise

♫
i've spent a little time tonight trying to deconstruct burial's vocal science and i just can't work out how he does it. from sample source to pitch, to time stretch. it really is a process which, to me at least, seems highly scientific and precise and what bonds all of burials other elements together.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Lots of pitch shifting definitely. It should sound really comical the extent to which it's done on Archangel but it doesn't from the bits I've heard.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Yeah but you can obscure the chipmunk effect to some extent thru heavy use of reverb to naturalise the sound somewhat...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Not just the chipmunks - the slowed down bits as well. But I'm guessing some of it is done with formant shifting so it doesn't sound so unnatural. I do keep expecting to laugh though.

bassnation

the abyss
Huh. I think it's head and shoulders above the first one.

alright i'm going to dissent here, cos i am not feeling this lp as much as the first one. i like both the artist and the label so this is isn't meant to be harsh, but it seems so much more disjointed and less cohesive than the last one - and not simply in terms of structure of the tunes or their ethereal qualities (present and korrect on that score) but more with the execution of the lp as a whole. yes, i know this is meant to be ghost like, hauntology, dying embers of rave etc etc - but theres such a core of emptiness its a curiously unaffecting listening experience for me. just find my attention wandering very quickly indeed.

i like his use of vox as opposed to most dubstep productions but just seems all in all not many fresh ideas in there since the last one. theres not very much real warmth and some would say thats a good thing - but for me its not hitting the spot. maybe a few more listens might mellow these crticisms. maybe 2 albums out in the space of 2 years is overstretching the idea of the enterprise somewhat. either way finding the interviews better entertainment than the music right now.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

yeah, I don't really expect "fresh" ideas from dubstep or grime, just interesting ones and weird alien sounds. some of the vocals don't excite me that much, but i love love the ones that sound like r&b all queered up (r&b vocals use pitchshifting all the time, to a very robotic effect, this is nothing new), it's more the way they're spatially alienated from the music that i like.

bassnation

the abyss
yeah, I don't really expect "fresh" ideas from dubstep or grime, just interesting ones and weird alien sounds. some of the vocals don't excite me that much, but i love love the ones that sound like r&b all queered up (r&b vocals use pitchshifting all the time, to a very robotic effect, this is nothing new), it's more the way they're spatially alienated from the music that i like.

fair enough, but i'd argue even the most alien sounds become familiar with too much repetition. its possible to see some progression with the same ideas but that seems absent here. if you look at people like rhythm and sound, obviously a huge influence on burial / kode9 et al they are working to a similar minimal template with a recognisable style but theres a definite and identifiable progression in their sound. you can't just buy one compilation say burial mix and think oh, i've got that entire artists oeuvre with one cd, which is definitely what i am feeling with burial's (the artist) stuff.

N

nomadologist

you're probably right, but i also like the Fall, so i have nothing to say about samey-ness ;)