Burial "Untrue"

claphands

Poorly-known member
Am I the only one who really loves "Near Dark"? Just haven't seen anyone mention it. Album feels a little bit front loaded to me as well, if only because after "Untrue" the formula seems to loose a bit of steam. Easily my favorite LP I've heard this year so far, though.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
Actually I've never used Soundforge - it doesn't do any multitrack stuff at all does it?

No not at all - its just a wave editor, so he probably layers the sounds over each other...though I suspect he uses the plug-in chainer to process all the sounds individually first.

Its actually fairly easier to sequence beats on it if you know the bpm you want to work its a simple calculation to work out how long one bar is and then subdivide from there. Although his stuff is well swung and not snapped to a grid at all, neither is it totally free-form rhythm.

gumdrops

Huh, well. Pharrell probably has more "vision" then. Still, a really good album.

you should hear kenna's albums if you wanna hear chad on his own. hes still excellent, but its a totally different sound (no doubt due to kennas own early 80s influences too, but it doesnt feel like a 'neptunes' production at all, like most other neptunes productions, so maybe chad is more versatile?). i think pharrell must be the one who likes the hokey soundbanks. not sure who is responsible for what in the neps but HHNF was all done by pharrell, not chad, which might be why it doesnt have much in the way of melodies or great riffs. (perhaps. although im not sure if the duties were shared out that clean-cut).

He is though! He's a digital maestro.

no, its chad. ;)

anyway, enough of the neptunes.

bassnation

the abyss
That's true as far as features go but also in many ways I think gear has moved backwards. In terms of what they do do things like MPC60s are the absolute nuts. S1000s might seem really basic now but they've also got lovely analogue filters. Everyone using basic Atari STs for sequencing back then immediately had better MIDI timing stability than most PCs. Using real hardware synths gives you hands on creativity that's harder to get from plugins, and so on.

I'm not down on modern kit but it's not like that old stuff was all that primitive - and in many ways it was easier to get a good sound out of it.

Actually I've never used Soundforge - it doesn't do any multitrack stuff at all does it?

wow, is that true about the timing? i've got that 808 state lp, prebuild and it hardly sounds sequenced at all - would hate to try and beat match that, short cuts would definitely be the order of the day.

and no, to my knowledge soundforge does not do multitracking but i haven't used it since version 6. essentially you would be limited to overdubs which would be very hit and miss, plus you'd need a massive hard disk cos if something went wrong you'd need to get back to where you were. i'm not sure i believe it to be perfectly honest. i used to make tracks overdubbing on a twin cassette hi fi when i was a kid and that was fucking difficult and prone to ever decreasing sound quality.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
808 State were using a lot of pre-MIDI stuff I think, so the timing might have been a bit more 'organic', less locked down.

N

nomadologist

you should hear kenna's albums if you wanna hear chad on his own. hes still excellent, but its a totally different sound (no doubt due to kennas own early 80s influences too, but it doesnt feel like a 'neptunes' production at all, like most other neptunes productions, so maybe chad is more versatile?). i think pharrell must be the one who likes the hokey soundbanks. not sure who is responsible for what in the neps but HHNF was all done by pharrell, not chad, which might be why it doesnt have much in the way of melodies or great riffs. (perhaps. although im not sure if the duties were shared out that clean-cut).

no, its chad. ;)

anyway, enough of the neptunes.

interesting to know. i believe you and swears! no more neptunes.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I'm sure he saves the component parts of tracks, before pasting them together.

It's not so much that anyway, just making patterns in the first place would be a pain.

I see what you mean about being restricted, although I suppose Soundforge is still not as basic as the gear people were using to make hardcore 15 years ago or whenever.

Swears I went to yr website and no disrespect to you cos you're one of the most amusing/insightful people on this site, but yr tunes are so far from Burial...

swears

preppy-kei
Swears I went to yr website and no disrespect to you cos you're one of the most amusing/insightful people on this site, but yr tunes are so far from Burial...

What "Destroy Your Mind"?

That was just a joke tune I did for a mate, his Dad always said that techno "Destroyed your mind" So I made the shittest Scott Brown style hardcore tune (I couldn't even do that properly) and stuck the refrain over the top with a speech synth. I don't really have any ambitions to make music pro or anything, lol.

tox

Factory Girl
On first listen it sounds like an extension of the good bits off of Wonder's album. Which is nice.

Good winter music - I'm guessing the release date was intentional. It sounds like the perfect soundtrack to the horrible S.A.D. ridden months of the year.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Just listening now. Archangel is absolutely stunning. Someone upthread said it reminded them of Omni Trio - I see that. Also the way he melds sweet fragmented vocals with such depth of production puts me in mind of Luomo.

Best thing I've heard in ages....

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
On my second listen in a row now... this is truely wonderful... nomad OTM on the queer detuned-R&B of "Archangel"... also love the dark jungle divebombs textures, mournful layered wordless vox of "Homeless," and "Raver" is the jam of course! As with most things I would pare it down to a 12" EP, but I have no attention span these days....

We are to conjure a personal McKoyannasqatsi for "In McDonalds" yes?

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I had the perverse idea of Burial collaborating with Ginuwine, Timbaland's former male muse... the over-evocative-to-the-point-of-excess vox, the vulnerability, the naked exaggerated desire of Ginuwine submerged into the Burial ether....

N

nomadologist

I had the perverse idea of Burial collaborating with Ginuwine, Timbaland's former male muse... the over-evocative-to-the-point-of-excess vox, the vulnerability, the naked exaggerated desire of Ginuwine submerged into the Burial ether....

This is a fantastic idea.

Wait--GAVIN IS BURIAL!!