this radiohead thing then.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
thats how i had read it, that or just strong believers-in / supporters of cardigans

But not *too* strong, because then they'd have to go and sit down to have a bit of a rest. And maybe write a little poem about it.

hint

party record with a siren
I own a couple of cardigans and I have pre-ordered the box.

In line with what Woebot predicts, the new album looks set to be a riff-fest, going from the live bits I've heard. I'm not expecting many surprises, to be honest.

mms

sometimes
oh thats quite disappointing. to me they will remain cardigan thumpers :cool:

what does it mean to thumb a cardigan?

a cardigan thumber is someone that makes holes in the ends of their cardigan sleeves with their thumbs, like a kind of extended fingerless glove, for people who want to pretend they don't have a body by covering it in baggy cardigan wool.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
a cardigan thumber is someone that makes holes in the ends of their cardigan sleeves with their thumbs, like a kind of extended fingerless glove, for people who want to pretend they don't have a body by covering it in baggy cardigan wool.

Hahaha, oh my god, like TOTAL Year 9 flashback time. :)

elgato

I just dont know

jokes it gets even better! a very good insult

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I expect surprises all the time. It makes life more manageable but also rather boring...

vimothy

yurp
Totally agree. Also one of those acts guilty of repackaging (ripping off) 'avant garde' ideas from genuine innovators to sell to their simpering fans.

Not sure I believe that - aren't most "genuine innovators" only guilty of ripping off somebody else in their turn?

("Talent borrows, genius steals").

RobJC

Check your weapon
Can you actually legally listen to this new release anywhere? - if Radiohead wanted to create a new distribution ethos, then you would be able to perhaps listen to the material one-off, and then if you liked it, purchase it at the price you felt it was worth.

I personally don't think any progressive commercial selling structure works for a media that is as emotionally charged as music - its not like buying any other consumable good when it is a personal - reputation and fan base will still dictate whether you will get any sales to begin with, and when the fanbase was initally funded by fixed price/distribution selling, it seems a bit hypocritical you now jump ship and try and sell though a more ethical framework without acknowledging the past.

Or something.....

crackerjack

Can you actually legally listen to this new release anywhere? - if Radiohead wanted to create a new distribution ethos, then you would be able to perhaps listen to the material one-off, and then if you liked it, purchase it at the price you felt it was worth.

You can enter 0.00p. Then if you're overwhelmed by the majesty of the thing, you can go back and download it again for whatever you deem your 'emotional charge' to be worth.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Not sure I believe that - aren't most "genuine innovators" only guilty of ripping off somebody else in their turn?

("Talent borrows, genius steals").
It's OK if you are doing something new with what you take from your forbears, it's boring if all you are doing is repackaging and passing off as your own. Radiohead with prog / can / musique concrete / electronica, Hot Chip and their whiter than white 2-step appropriations, Franz Ferdinand and a million neo-post-punk groups. I quite like Stereolab though, at least they were nicking from stuff that was less obvious, and they properly steal.

I suppose having a wide range of influences is to be applauded really, as long as they are assimilated properly. Anyway I think it's the cardigan thumping that really bugs me about Radiohead.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
It's OK if you are doing something new with what you take from your forbears, it's boring if all you are doing is repackaging and passing off as your own. Radiohead with prog / can / musique concrete / electronica, Hot Chip and their whiter than white 2-step appropriations, Franz Ferdinand and a million neo-post-punk groups. I quite like Stereolab though, at least they were nicking from stuff that was less obvious, and they properly steal.

I don't think, for example, that Radiohead are doing the same thing as Autechre, by any strech of the imagination. And they still sound like Radiohead.

It's either good or it's bad, IMHO. Whether it's new or original is less important.

crackerjack

So Radiohead are fusing prog, krautrock, musique concrete and electronica with indie, yet somehow they're not doing anything original? Likewise Hot Chip mashing white electro-pop with 2-step?

I really don't get this line of thinking.

noel emits

So Radiohead are fusing prog, krautrock, musique concrete and electronica with indie, yet somehow they're not doing anything original? Likewise Hot Chip mashing white electro-pop with 2-step?

Taking really good music and turning it into dull miserable bland shite for people who don't know or want to know about it's roots could be seen as original I suppose. :slanted:

Fusing prog, Krautrock, musique concrete and electronica with 'indie' actually sounds like the world's worst idea anyway. I mean why the fuck would you want to do that?

Hot Chip are just revolting though. Pure nastiness for smugonauts and people who don't actually like dance music. Cynical indie twats that they are.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp

Exactly - "stick to what we think you should know as a white, middle class indie band..."

I've been feeling recently that if there's one thing that's more boring than the bland and the generic, it's elitism.

noel emits

Exactly - "stick to what we think you should know as a white, middle class indie band..."

I've been feeling recently that if there's one thing that's more boring than the bland and the generic, it's elitism.
This ain't about elitism. I want to see imagination and colour and experiment in popular music, totally. Those groups aren't it though. And why does the world need more white middle class indie bands turning everything they touch into white middle class indie mush like some kind of grey goo?

Last edited: