Please help.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
The problem is that once your life is out of balance due to mental illness, one often *CAN'T* do the things Mr. Tea and others are suggesting that create balance and order and "normalcy".
Yep. That's why I say eat well and get a little exercise. It's easy to neglect those things but the simple basic stuff can help to bring a little stability quickly and you can more easily take it from there.

N

nomadologist

Yep. That's why I say eat well and get a little exercise. It's easy to neglect those things but the simple basic stuff can help to bring a little stability quickly and you can more easily take it from there.

For an otherwise "normal" person, sure. Unfortunately, if your mental health is already jeopardized, many of these things alone will not work.

noel emits

For an otherwise "normal" person, sure. Unfortunately, if your mental health is already jeopardized, many of these things alone will not work.
Nobody on this thread has suggested that good food, sleep or breathing exercises will 'work' to fix absolutely any and every ailment. They are however very simple things you can do to help yourself and get moving in the right direction.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Do not go to sleep after midnight - I find it invariably puts me in a much worse mental state the day after, however many hours I subsequently manage to sleep (in fact, I would credit the worst periods of sorrowfulness in my life to poor sleeping habits exarcebating negative moods). Keeping late hours also encourages one to feel estranged from the general flow of public life and nature's rhythms.

This is exceedingly OTM, and so is what Bruno said about having a Preussian bearing towards your daily routines. Even though the feeling of estrangement described above may have its upsides, you would probably do well avoiding mucking about with Mother Nature for the time being. That goes for all kinds of stimulants, too. And should insomnia get the better of you despite your best efforts, never say die: Aphex Twin, ‘The King’, and just about every writer under the sun, have sworn by its virtues.

N

nomadologist

Nobody on this thread has suggested that good food, sleep or breathing exercises will 'work' to fix absolutely any and every ailment. They are however very simple things you can do to help yourself and get moving in the right direction.

Just clarifying.

N

nomadologist

you would probably do well avoiding mucking about with Mother Nature for the time being

Unfortunately, it's "Mother Nature" that made some people have defective brain chemistry. I would recommend talking to professionals no matter what home remedies you employ. I am telling you this as someone who has gone through several diagnoses and my own battle with schizoaffective disorder.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Thank you.

Respiridone

ex.Olanzapine.

(Will find time and space to do those things)

~Jaie

Jaie my partner's a doctor and asking him, he's said that often the very drugs that you're on for those sort of things may adversely affect you, i.e you may get the very symptoms you are trying to avoid. He strongly suggests speaking to your doctor to either up the dose or change the medication that you're on, good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

How's the shop btw?

noel emits

Unfortunately, it's "Mother Nature" that made some people have defective brain chemistry.
'Some' people, yes, but then mostly by accident. You've got to wonder how many more brain problems are the result of dysfunctional 'civilised' lifestyles though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
'Some' people, yes, but then mostly by accident. You've got to wonder how many more brain problems are the result of dysfunctional 'civilised' lifestyles though.

Well we can sit here and theorise about that until we're blue in the face but I assume building a wigwam in Hyde park and living on rainwater and raw squirrel probably isn't an option for Mr. Miller here.

N

nomadologist

Jaie my partner's a doctor and asking him, he's said that often the very drugs that you're on for those sort of things may adversely affect you, i.e you may get the very symptoms you are trying to avoid. He strongly suggests speaking to your doctor to either up the dose or change the medication that you're on, good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

How's the shop btw?

Thank you for getting a professional opinion :)

N

nomadologist

Don't know what you mean when you say "by accident", but yeah, stress and our generally intensely overly stressful way of life does not help.

noel emits

Well we can sit here and theorise about that until we're blue in the face but I assume building a wigwam in Hyde park and living on rainwater and raw squirrel probably isn't an option for Mr. Miller here.
Well that's all very amusing but I was just talking about logic and 'clarifying' that nomad's 'mother nature causes some people to have defective brain chemistry' does not mean that 'all brain chemistry defects are caused by mother nature'. Arguments about what and what isn't 'natural' notwithstanding.

But anyway it's no great bloody esoteric theory that many aspects of modern life are just not good for your health. And don't say 'getting eaten by a sabre-tooth tiger isn't too good for health either'. :mad:

noel emits

Don't know what you mean when you say "by accident", but yeah, stress and our generally intensely overly stressful way of life does not help.
By 'by accident' I mean genetic defects / mutations. i.e. not things that have been actively selected for or desired.

N

nomadologist

Ahhh ok. Well, most of our "good" traits came by accident, too.

fishe

haha, too funny...this is a good reason why I find myself lurking more and more around here...

fishe

But anyway it's no great bloody esoteric theory that many aspects of modern life are just not good for your health. And don't say 'getting eaten by a sabre-tooth tiger isn't too good for health either'. :mad:

Yeah agreed...but problems arise when this type of argument is used as an 'emotional blanket retort' to seemingly solve issues and make the user happier about the world - i.e. it isn't very often constructive.

But of course it can be...the hard part is finding the parts of modern life that hinder, and the parts that help, the individual.

noel emits

Yeah agreed...but problems arise when this type of argument is used as an 'emotional blanket retort' to seemingly solve issues and make the user happier about the world - i.e. it isn't very often constructive.

But of course it can be...the hard part is finding the parts of modern life that hinder, and the parts that help, the individual.
Well first of all, as I have already explained, I said that modern lifestyles can be unhealthy to counter the inference that 'all mental problems are the result of congenital brain disorders'.

Second 'finding the parts that hinder' is not difficult - try bad food, bad air, bad media, bad work, bad government, alienation, disenfranchisement, the fact that everything is fucked and pretty much everyone is a moron? LOL Or what about anti-psychotic medication perhaps? :slanted:

Thirdly, you agree with the statement and yet you think it could be used as an 'emotional blanket retort'? So the truth is not good enough now?

Last edited:

noel emits

haha, too funny...this is a good reason why I find myself lurking more and more around here...
You lurk around to read Mr Tea's predictable quips?

Why do some people find it so important to dispute, even ridicule the notion, that modern 'urban' lifestyles (and that doesn't mean what brand of hoody you wear), can contribute to mental illness? Could it be because that would mean you yourself might be susceptible? Is it so terrifying to consider that people are not necessarily mental because they were just born that way?

Sorry for hijacking your thread Jaie, hope you get things sorted. Take care.