Please help.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I seem to have sparked off something of a debate here (a debate? On Dissensus? Like, NO WAY! :))...

At heart I agree with noel's point about lots of aspects of modern city life being conducive to depression and mental illness; I suppose what made me quip about wigwams and squirrels was that it seemed like a fairly fatalistic attitude, almost "oh well, you live in London in 2007, you're bound to lose it sooner or later". I think the way to cope with all the stuff that can get you down is to see things like rampant consumerism, heavy traffic, the noise, the crowds etc. etc. either as means to end (e.g. we have shops so we buy stuff, not so we can shop for the sake of shopping) or simply as unfortunate byproducts of living in a big, crowded city (e.g. until everyone decides to walk or cycle everywhere, there will always be heavy traffic). That, and spend as much time as you can enjoying the many good things about living in a city in a highly developed country (possibly excluding the more 'vibrant' sort of nightlife if you're in a fragile mental state as it is, of course).

So as other people on here have I think already mentioned, it's perhaps more a case of just looking at things differently rather than doing anything drastically different.

tht

akstavrh
jaie the drugs you are taking might be causing some of those symptoms, antipsychotics like risperidone cause akithisia, a restless can't-sit-still sort of agitation

if you never felt like that before you were given the drugs then it's worth talking to your doctors about

they could do different things like giving you another antipsychotic that might not be as harsh as risperidone, or prescribing another drug to counteract side effects (it that's what's happening) - the drugs are supposed to ease paranoia and hallucinations; it doesn't sound like they're working so well and the doctors need to know that

does anyone here have experiences themselves or of close relatives or friends suffering from the same symptoms? cos i feel like i should give more advice but i don't think i know enough, so i'll just suggest-

talk to the doctors as often as they'll allow you, they're probably reasonable people and if they see that you want to get better they will be more helpful, if you read about the drugs and ask them questions and maybe ask them to get you referrals to psychologists who might be more helpful to talk with about this stuff (psychiatrists treat everything in a colder clinical way with less concern for individual experiences and feelings)

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I was prescribed that, but the other drug they gave me stop my compulsive gambling made me squeeze the toothpaste in the middle of the tube. :(:(:(:(

jaie the drugs you are taking might be causing some of those symptoms, antipsychotics like risperidone cause akithisia, a restless can't-sit-still sort of agitation

if you never felt like that before you were given the drugs then it's worth talking to your doctors about

they could do different things like giving you another antipsychotic that might not be as harsh as risperidone, or prescribing another drug to counteract side effects (it that's what's happening) - the drugs are supposed to ease paranoia and hallucinations; it doesn't sound like they're working so well and the doctors need to know that

Yes, Jaie's lucid description of his dyschronia (which frequently manifests as a near suicidal-inducing, inescapable sense of invasive terror and doom) suggests a neuroleptic-induced akathisia that has been directly brought on by his move to being prescribed Risperidone (a dopamine inhibitor). He states up-thread that he was previously prescribed Olanzapine (Zyprexa). Unlike Risperidone, which is a non-sedating antipsychotic, Olanzapine is a sedating antipsychotic and so reduces the likelihood of akathisia. Perhaps, then, his doctor should be recommending returning to Olanzapine again, combined with a treatment for the antipsychotic akathhisia, such treatments varying from beta-blockers like metaprolol to benzodiazepines to - even - nicotine patches, depending on symptoms.

[That said, such 20th century writers as Philip K Dick and William S Burroughs spent much of their literary lives portraying and articulating Jaie's experiences, not to mention the chap who scream-painted this:

300px-The_Scream.jpg

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Tell me more about Akathisia. How is different from mania?
I fear I have been suffering from something akin to this for many years (literally unable to sit still, having to get up and pace, clicking fingers, clapping, a tense agitation somewhere between paranoia and euphoria... rage and grandiosity.) Maybe just mania though. Hmm.

tht

akstavrh
akithisia is essentially somatic, anhedonic and not at all euphoric i would have thought

that sort of transient nervous hyperactivity possibly resembles a hypomanic episode but it's not the same thing, i sometimes feel like that for a few hours at a time if i try to concentrate intensely for more than about half an hour, then there's a rapid decathexis and i can't read or think and have to go eat junk food or post crap on dissensus

needless to say it's probably unhelpful and a little hypochondriac to compare this kinda thing to mania, which would be far more disabling and frightening

Last edited:

ripley

I don't know who I am anymore. I am ready to give up. I don't trust anyone. I don't really want to speak to anyone. I don't want to do anything.

you have done something brave and smart by reaching out to people. Cheers to you for that.

I also agree you should check back with your doctor because much of this could be a side-effect of medication. Even if it's not, though, no doctor (or the rest of us) would say you deserve to feel like this, and a doctor should help you figure out what to change,

also seconding the enough sleep/healthy food/breathing clean air/exercise thing. Even when your emotions are in terrible shape, you can task yourself with keeping the body healthy.. and sometimes in so doing it will spill over into the mental health side of things.. If not, at least you'll be in great physical shape once you figure out the mental/emotional stuff!

Good luck
sending best wishes from Oakland, California.

fishe

Well first of all, as I have already explained, I said that modern lifestyles can be unhealthy to counter the inference that 'all mental problems are the result of congenital brain disorders'.

Second 'finding the parts that hinder' is not difficult - try bad food, bad air, bad media, bad work, bad government, alienation, disenfranchisement, the fact that everything is fucked and pretty much everyone is a moron? LOL Or what about anti-psychotic medication perhaps? :slanted:

Thirdly, you agree with the statement and yet you think it could be used as an 'emotional blanket retort'? So the truth is not good enough now?

Agreeing with a statement while asserting conditions as to its effective use seems very reasonable no? :)

And yes, I agree with you that modern society can be a factor in mental health - or a better way to put it - environment is a significant element in many mental illnesses. Of course, mixed with genetic conditions as well in many cases. But the point is, it's a mix, and environment is a factor.

A lot of those 'bad parts' of modern society you've mentioned though (not the more biological ones like air quality) affect different individuals in different ways - they are subjective. And as like Mr Tea said, it's all about how one views them.

There are many interesting culture-based studies about, for example, asian attitudes to something 'vs' western attitudes and the consequent impact on mental health. And of course the underlying notion of most modern therapy these days is a cognitive behavioural approach, where the thoughts/feelings of the individual drive their perspective on the world and in turn their mental health.

Also, let's not get all Adbusters on anti-psychotics. There is no great conspiracy. The drugs have their place and do worlds of good for many. Yes they are misused in cases. Yes, stricter controls and more education need to be applied. No they're not some evil object and shouldn't be abolished.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Agreeing with a statement while asserting conditions as to its effective use seems very reasonable no? :)
You weren't just 'asserting' conditions of the statement's use, you were misreading and misrepresenting my position. I stated that some things are not good for you, you put the rest of the inferences in there.
And yes, I agree with you that modern society can be a factor in mental health - or a better way to put it - environment is a significant element in many mental illnesses. Of course, mixed with genetic conditions as well in many cases. But the point is, it's a mix, and environment is a factor.
A mix, in some cases. One or the other in other cases. This isn't about prejudices or biases or favoured causes, it's just about statistics and logic.
A lot of those 'bad parts' of modern society you've mentioned though (not the more biological ones like air quality) affect different individuals in different ways - they are subjective. And as like Mr Tea said, it's all about how one views them.

There are many interesting culture-based studies about, for example, asian attitudes to something 'vs' western attitudes and the consequent impact on mental health. And of course the underlying notion of most modern therapy these days is a cognitive behavioural approach, where the thoughts/feelings of the individual drive their perspective on the world and in turn their mental health.
How one views something is part of one's cultural 'environment'. That was actually a big part of what I meant by 'lifestyle'. So yes it does indeed have some bearing on how we respond to things.
Also, let's not get all Adbusters on anti-psychotics. There is no great conspiracy. The drugs have their place and do worlds of good for many. Yes they are misused in cases. Yes, stricter controls and more education need to be applied. No they're not some evil object and shouldn't be abolished.
Adbusters? Conspiracy? What are you talking about?

Look, of course express your point of view but please stop misrepresenting my position by implication.

Last edited:

tht

akstavrh
Look, of course express your point of view but please stop misrepresenting my position by implication

that seems to be the general case for those who think 'yes [tautology] no [fallacy] no [fallacy]' is an acceptable rhetorical form

fishe

A mix, in some cases. One or the other in other cases. This isn't about prejudices or biases or favoured causes, it's just about statistics and logic.

Wouldn't it be difficult to say that even in some/other cases it's solely one or the other? I know that's not the point here and a whole new ballgame, just wondering if you really meant that.

Look, of course express your point of view but please stop misrepresenting my position by implication.

My apologies - it's something I do sometimes to 'speed up' text-based things like this - assume a position for the person behind the text. Although, of course depending how it goes, it can piss people off hehe :)

Specifically as well I had just recently had to inform a friend who's undergrad psych and right into the whole 'anti depressants are evil' idea at the moment - so it was pressing in my mind - sorry for spewing forth on you!

Jaie Miller

Thank you everyone. I am feeling much better. I have been to see a doctor and we spoke, times of medication have shifted, dosage etc. ( like i said i dont smoke or drink-cutting down on meat, and no cow milk. )

The-da- shop is ok it's where I'm at!

:)