Impact of smoking ban on clubs

zhao

there are no accidents
:(

I was wondering if it also had something to do with there being a lot of new faces at dubstep nights. I know that's a good thing and inevitable but popularity brings a change. Have to say I have seen some bullshit ignorant attitudes at a couple of things recently.

and what is being played at certain dubstep parties has become bullshit ignorant music for meat-heads.

what they should allow is ONLY ganja. :D

N

nomadologist

Because

i) people would still have to work in the smoking sections (cleaning, at minimum)

ii) ventilation only removes the odour from smoke, not the toxins.

I'm sure there are plenty of smokers who'd be happy to work in a smoking half of a business, especially if it meant they could smoke themselves.

And 2 isn't true, at least not here--I've read that the law here actually allows lounges and certain nightclub-type establishments to let their clientele smoke as long as they invest in super-expensive air filtration ventilation systems. I didn't mean just "ventilation" as in open windows, there are high-tech solutions...most just don't have the money or don't care to spend it on them...

Barring these, though, I understand why they banned smoking. Whining about how it effects getting your "night out" on is shortsighted and childish, imo.

EDIT: That said, I'm sympathetic to those who are against the sort of "lifestyle police" lobbyism that gave rise to these oh so righteous "health"-conscious laws...

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

You can always smoke weed before you go out, right? It lasts quite a bit longer than crack, so it's good like that.

N

nomadologist

I'm just pointing out that you don't absolutely *need* to be able to smoke in clubs to be able to enjoy a night out stoned

i know someone who has a weed vaporizer for just these reasons: because it turns the weedy high-making matter into vapor without toxins, tar, heat, or any badness involved, it makes you much much higher to inhale vapor, and it lasts longer. also there is no smoke so you can do it anywhere. well, sort of.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I'm just pointing out that you don't absolutely *need* to be able to smoke in clubs to be able to enjoy a night out stoned
I do love to stand in the sound and smoke, but weed's always been illegal here so it's usually a bit tricky. Have had great times recently with cakes - more effective too. :)

N

nomadologist

Yeah if I were going to bother with weed, I would definitely prefer to eat it cooked in food.

Used to have a huuuge school sponsored party on 4/20 every year where there would be a picnic and this Argentinian girl made a gourmet picnic cooked with weedbutter, weedoliveoil, etc. When you get that high it can make you have vertigo...

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Meatheads listening to dubstep! I was shocked enough when they started jumping on the emo bandwagon in this country!

As for smoking before... the good high is like the first 30 min... If you smoke before you go out, you'll spend at least 10 min looking for your keys and mittens, 10 to the train/bus, 20 to get to the venue, and if you've built up a healthy tolerance over the past several years as I have, you've got naught but a lil haze once you make it to the club. Which is better than nothing, but...

The only time I smoked weed at a show was Queens of the Stone Age back in college... it was a most excellent 45 minutes :cool: Oh wait, there was the time I smoked a joint before a Hrvatski set.. it was at some weird abandoned warehouse "art space" so no security, but I had smoked myself stupid earlier in the day so it didn't do much.... Mr. Whitman did take my picture tho.

I ate a shitload of weedfood backstage at some jam band concert I went to with my brother... I was in a weird dissociative black hole for the entire show, I couldn't even see. Don't remember anything about the music (probably a good thing). I retch whenever I taste weed in food since.

tom pr

I do love to stand in the sound and smoke, but weed's always been illegal here so it's usually a bit tricky. Have had great times recently with cakes - more effective too. :)
that's one thing about the ban, I've come around to cakes a lot more...

N

nomadologist

Meatheads listening to dubstep! I was shocked enough when they started jumping on the emo bandwagon in this country!

As for smoking before... the good high is like the first 30 min... If you smoke before you go out, you'll spend at least 10 min looking for your keys and mittens, 10 to the train/bus, 20 to get to the venue, and if you've built up a healthy tolerance over the past several years as I have, you've got naught but a lil haze once you make it to the club. Which is better than nothing, but...

The only time I smoked weed at a show was Queens of the Stone Age back in college... it was a most excellent 45 minutes :cool: Oh wait, there was the time I smoked a joint before a Hrvatski set.. it was at some weird abandoned warehouse "art space" so no security, but I had smoked myself stupid earlier in the day so it didn't do much.... Mr. Whitman did take my picture tho.

I ate a shitload of weedfood backstage at some jam band concert I went to with my brother... I was in a weird dissociative black hole for the entire show, I couldn't even see. Don't remember anything about the music (probably a good thing). I retch whenever I taste weed in food since.

A lot of people just don't believe this could be true, but I don't feel weed anymore. And I haven't smoked in probably 6 months, and before that only extremely rarely for about 3 years. It just doesn't do anything, except allow me to keep food down if I'm having problems with appetite loss.

I blame topamax. Ever since I had to take that, weed simply doesn't work. And I distinctly remember it back in the day making me so high it was a full-body experience and it made music sound aammmaaaazzzinng and twinkies delicious and all of that. What happened?

I want those days back. That way I could get out of it so cheap,...

tom pr

We are talking about Skream along with Pendulum, Andy C and Noisia. At Fabric.
Don't forget the fucking Scratch Perverts.

(who, it should be added, my friend talked me into seeing with him before Optimo one night in Aberdeen, and they played Cockney Thug!)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I do love to stand in the sound and smoke, but weed's always been illegal here so it's usually a bit tricky.

Though of course it's pretty easy to get away with sparking up a joint if the place is full of smoke anyway; less so if you're not meant to be smoking *anything*, whether it's pure tobacco or not.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Though of course it's pretty easy to get away with sparking up a joint if the place is full of smoke anyway; less so if you're not meant to be smoking *anything*, whether it's pure tobacco or not.
Yeah absolutely. It's much harder now. Also some parts of the country are bit more relaxed about it than others.

Nomadologist said:
i'm fine with the ban ...

mos dan said:
i do back the ban in principle - and it even helped me substantially cut down on smoking myself.

Wonk_Vitesse said:
I enjoy the ban in pubs but in clubs it just seems stupid. Segregating people is not what clubbing is about. Last time I went out it wasn't a legal venue, it was almost refreshing to see people exercising a bit of liberty.

Transpontine said:
... in some ways it would be better to have no smoking areas at all

John Eden said:
Because it's mainly about protecting people who work in bars from noxious gas, not punters who can choose to be there ... I don't want anyone near me smoking while I'm working and neither do most of my colleagues - whether they smoke or not.

Mr Tea said:
... suppose the biggest advantage is that you don't stink of smoke afterwards (you 'only' smell of sweat, instead), which is great esp. for women with longish hair. My girlfriend thinks the ban's the best thing ever for this reason.

And last but by no means least:

Zhou said:
... i really hope the hammer falls here like NY, and strict. a few minor changes in nightlife is nothing compared to a premature and painful death ... buying cigarrettes (in the US atleast) is the same as donating to the Fund for the Advancement of Christian Fundamentalist Neo-Conservatism.

Dissensus banning drugs ... Nnnnnnn-no! ... 'I demand MY rights! Fuck your's!"

[Only on Dissensus!]

"Let's take the campaign against smoking in the U.S. I think this is a much more suspicious phenomenon than it appears to be. First, deeply inscribed into it is an idea of absolute narcissism, that whenever you are in contact with another person, somehow he or she can infect you. Second, there is an envy of the intense enjoyment of smoking. There is a certain vision of subjectivity, a certain falseness in liberalism, that comes down to "I want to be left alone by others; I don't want to get too close to the others." Also, in this fight against the tobacco companies, you have a certain kind of politically correct yuppie who is doing very well financially, but who wants to retain a certain anti-capitalist aura. What better way to focus on the obvious bad guy, Big Tobacco? It functions as an ersatz enemy. You can still claim your stock market gains, but you can say, "I'm against tobacco companies." Now I should make it clear that I don't smoke. And I don't like tobacco companies. But this obsession with the danger of smoking isn't as simple as it might appear."- The Slovenian who smokers love to hate.

Privatization of smoking: Everywhere the anti-social ban has been introduced, smoking has significantly increased ... [surely this should be obvious? Of course not, apparantly].

N

nomadologist

That said, I'm sympathetic to those who are against the sort of "lifestyle police" lobbyism that gave rise to these oh so righteous "health"-conscious laws...

You forgot to quote me when I said this.

Zizek is right about the ideological underpinnings of all of this but I do think lower middle class single mothers who are forced to work their second job every night at a bar shouldn't have to get emphazema so Mr. Tea can have a cigarette indoors rather than walking 10 feet to go outside.

N

nomadologist

You could also substitute the language about tobacco in that Zizek quote with language about heroin and the heroin trade ("big heroin" haha) and it would be a similar argument. Or at least an equally interesting one.