Britney

N

nomadologist

you know, the more i think about the "eat it, lick it, snort it, fuck it" episode, the more it confirms my LA-dwelling friends reports that she has a pretty flagrant meth problem. on the VMAs she had those glassy eyes like if you took a shitload of valium because you'd been tweaking too hard and got a panic attack or something...am i right?

The single sounds like something created under a lot of stress and desparation. Of course there's pop music that was made under these circumstances and is great, but this doesn't, it's just trying too hard. Sounds drab and ugly.

N

nomadologist

I dunno... this song sounds, *ok*, but not particularly special. The video is just... strange. Her pole-dancing is so lackluster, as if she's not particularly trying. Is that the idea? If so, what exactly is the point? Also, the whole blond-britney-at-the-bar watching dancing-britney is not really exploited to any good effect.

this is kind of why I like it. I didn't like the super-polished, megawatt-produced, capital-backed Britney. I like this one. She's a lot more believable, and I'm glad she doesn't give a shit. Why should she? She's been a show dog since she was 7 or 8.

turtles

in the sea
Yeah I think Britney's actually become a quite intersting figure these days. It's just too bad that it had to come at the cost of her mental/physical health (not to mention pretty much guaranteeing her kids a very fucked upbrining). I really hope she pulls through all this, I think she'd probably end up with some very interesting things to say about being at the apex of american cultural fascination and what exactly that means in this day and age. Seems like she could go either way at this point, but I'm hoping against hope that something brilliant comes out of all this.

shudder

this is kind of why I like it. I didn't like the super-polished, megawatt-produced, capital-backed Britney. I like this one. She's a lot more believable, and I'm glad she doesn't give a shit. Why should she? She's been a show dog since she was 7 or 8.

true, true, I feel that. But I guess I was just hoping for her to give us something.... more?

(sorry)

turtles

in the sea
I think mariah's breakdown had a lot more style.
Uhhh...celebrity breakdowns as the newest fashion fad? I think that's a bit glib. Though I suppose celebs have been milking the "look at all the trials i've been through and how I've persevered" line for quite a while.

The thing about Britney is that there's something genuinely kinda scary about how publicly she's falling apart, and just how aggressively and unapologetically she seems to be pursuing this path. "Eat it, lick it, snort it, fuck it." Especially coming from a former mouseketeer, former wholesome girlie teenpop sensation. Mariah (though I love a lot of her tunes, and certainly wouldn't wish her to go through a similar ordeal as Britney) went through the accepted oprah-endorsed "therapy culture" kind of path that middle-class mothers might go through. Britney seems to be tearing at the edge of acceptability right now and really flaunting it too. Which makes her interesting, though in a very tragic way.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I particularly like how freakout has got quite a large proportion of the more vocal members of dubstepforum totally FREAKING OUT cos it uses an LFO and goes "wuab wuab wuab"

as an aside, don't forget it was the News of the World that printed that "lick it.." quote guys. don't get too carried away.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
as an aside, don't forget it was the News of the World that printed that "lick it.." quote guys. don't get too carried away.

But damn if they made it up I wish I'd been in their office that day, I bet it was drinks all round.

Meth scares me, they call it 'tik' in SA.

N

nomadologist

tell me about it. i lived in a house during college where my roommates used to (instead of investing in a glass pipe) break off the tops of all the lightbulbs and tape toilet paper cardboard on the widest part to use as a vaporizing/smoke catching device.

there is nothing scarier than watching someone do this at 9:30 in the morning.

martin

----
I heard she wiped her fried chicken-begreased hands on a $3,500 dress and then threw it to the ground for her dog to pee on.

S

simon silverdollar

US pop-stars seem to know how to get fucked up in more interesting ways than UK pop-stars: the fat, Vegas elvis, michael jackson, Britney, Whitney.

what's the UK equivalent? robbie williams getting addicted to coffee and nurofen.

STN

sou'wester
US pop-stars seem to know how to get fucked up in more interesting ways than UK pop-stars: the fat, Vegas elvis, michael jackson, Britney, Whitney.

what's the UK equivalent? robbie williams getting addicted to coffee and nurofen.

I dunno, Adam Ant managed a tepid-yet-stylish breakdown.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I always wondered why it is that meth hasn't caught on in such a massive way over here.. every now and then you read a scare story on a slow news day but I really haven't seen anything to compete.

Maybe it's more difficult to set up processing places over here... maybe I'm wrong and just haven't seen it.

I really like the idea of one of the biggest pop stars ever being a meth fiend though, it seems to sum up the 21st Century Way very nicely

Dunninger said:
The single sounds like something created under a lot of stress and desparation.

aren't you just projecting your ideas of what she's been up to lately on to the creative process though, which she presumably had very little to do with? It's been made explicitly sound like that, but by someone else. Someone's who's making a lot of money, probably.

nomadologist said:
I didn't like the super-polished, megawatt-produced, capital-backed Britney. I like this one. She's a lot more believable, and I'm glad she doesn't give a shit.

but that's what makes it extra weird and extra awesome - she had so little to do with it; presumably the producers have tapped into all the PR surrounding her and produced something to fit neatly around the image of this incredibly fucked up girl we're all reading in shitty free papers every morning. It's corporate sponsorship of a breakdown!

Last edited:

swears

preppy-kei
I dunno, Adam Ant managed a tepid-yet-stylish breakdown.

He dressed up as a cowboy, walked into a pub, started shooting at someone's feet with a pistol and ordered them to dance.

That's taking going nuts to ANOTHER LEVEL.

STN

sou'wester
He threw a car engine part through the window of the pub too.

If you've ever heard his 'Save the Gorilla' version of 'Stand and Deliver' you'll want to track him down and give him a hug.

S

simon silverdollar

He dressed up as a cowboy, walked into a pub, started shooting at someone's feet with a pistol and ordered them to dance.

ok, that's pretty good, i admit.

N

nomadologist

He threw a car engine part through the window of the pub too.

If you've ever heard his 'Save the Gorilla' version of 'Stand and Deliver' you'll want to track him down and give him a hug.

Meth is big here because it's easy to make out of anti-freeze and sudafed, really, and because of the Mexican mafia.

Stand and Deliver is an AMAZING song. Swears would love it, it's all about making fun of indies.

N

nomadologist

He's really seriously bipolar. I read it on his official website. His daughter saved his life.