Britney

STN

sou'wester
Meth is big here because it's easy to make out of anti-freeze and sudafed, really, and because of the Mexican mafia.

Stand and Deliver is an AMAZING song. Swears would love it, it's all about making fun of indies.

Check out Save the Gorilla though, I think this is the right version:

It's grand, grand, grand.

N

nomadologist

US pop-stars seem to know how to get fucked up in more interesting ways than UK pop-stars: the fat, Vegas elvis, michael jackson, Britney, Whitney.

what's the UK equivalent? robbie williams getting addicted to coffee and nurofen.

I'm telling you, in cities here, people literally walk up to you and ask what you need. Especially in Newark, if you're Whitney. Damn.

I was in the South Bronx and got followed by like 15 huge guys doing the birdcall (which means you have hard hard hard drugs available) who just couldn't believe I was there for any other reason. I literally had to show them that I had no money on me to get them to leave me alone.

swears

preppy-kei
Stand and Deliver is an AMAZING song. Swears would love it, it's all about making fun of indies.

Yes of course I love it, all that new-pop stuff was incredible. In a similar lyrical vein, there's There, There My Dear by Dexy's.

"If youre so anti-fashion, why not wear flares/ instead of dressing down all the same..."

N

nomadologist

the video is awesome

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

martin

----
I heard that Mariah Carey once tottered around a charity event with a high heeled shoe in her hand, smashing any cups, glasses or plates she'd touched as she was paranoid that other people would use them at a later date.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One of the weirdest examples of pop-star mentalism I can think of is Boy George, who got into trouble when he called the police claiming his flat had been burgled (or "burglarised", this being New York). When the cops turned up to look at the place they found some cocaine, but only a small amount and the court dropped the charges. However they found no evidence of a break-in at all, and the Boy got a community service order (street-sweeping) for wasting police time. :rolleyes:

Edit: just found this, arf!
With tongue firmly in cheek, another worker named Jimmy asked, "Do they really want to hurt him? Do they really want to see him cry?

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Britney has successfully - the transition is now complete - gone from virgin to whore, which makes her a contender in my book if she's living out something that mythic, unwittingly or otherwise.

dHarry

and, er, OMG check out last night's Halloween party outfit lol!!!11! (this is really scraping the Dissensus barrel :eek:)

britneyRTN0111_228x732.jpg

N

nomadologist

what is she supposed to be? a tranny hooker auditioning for the role of dorothy in the wizard of oz?

N

nomadologist

there were so many amy winehouses this year...it's nice to see her doing her own uh thing

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I am rooting for Britney to bust out of the cycle of innocent->party-girl->rehab-repentence cycle (Paris Hilton with a Bible!) hopefully dealing it a terminal blow, stick K-fed with the kids, and make disgustingly trashy music for ever and ever. No pity, no regrets -- this is her message! Do not feel bad for her, she wouldn't want you to!

mistersloane

I am rooting for Britney to bust out of the cycle of innocent->party-girl->rehab-repentence cycle (Paris Hilton with a Bible!) hopefully dealing it a terminal blow, stick K-fed with the kids, and make disgustingly trashy music for ever and ever. No pity, no regrets -- this is her message! Do not feel bad for her, she wouldn't want you to!

It looks like being resigned to yer own fate from here, just no way out, blackout. I like the resonances she's giving off, I've never seen a pop start who I thought was in control play being out of control so well, to the point of alienationm whilst apparently - not heard it- delivering the album of her career. I never gave her much so am interested, the PR worked for me, and I don't think it's at her expense.

Kinda rewrote what you wrote.

mistersloane

you don't even like the weird schizo background vocals of someone going "errrangeerranngeer" (or something like that)?

my other favorite part: "it's britney bitch" and "you're gonna have to remove me, cuz i ain't going nowhere"

You're right, that's a particularly weird noise, a really fucking weird noise.

I think the performances - MTV and the rest - are poses. I wish the new Spice Girls single had been produced by Trebor Horn.