World's Greatest Female Vocalists

tom pr

This is a parody of that stat-based best ever footballers book, innit? The one that had Gary Neville down as the 12th best defender of all time and Sylvain Wiltord in the top fifty ever or whatever it was...

true dat but

None of them can stand up to:
Aretha
Billie
Sarah
or
Ella...

...in the opinion of this old fart...;)

how the f*** can alanis be higher than my wife Jill? she rolled over this morning and told me this was airpie

singing of course

or was I dreaming :D ?

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Oh, I agree. However, in terms of live performances only their greatest have lived on, just as all we see of Pele is highlights of his best.

I'd rather hear Billie Holiday at her worst than anyone on that list. I'd rather hear her voice break, notes waver, pitch falter (and loads of other technical faults!!) than the so-called 'qualities' of Whiteney and the gang...being able to warble and wail (actually they don't wail enough) in displays of technical virtuosity is as impressive to me as Prog guitar-playing. :eek: unless it's in an opera, of course. I don't hear any soul, passion (excpet fakery), character, style, finesse, heartache in any of them! (who was on that list again?) ;)

Oh, Billie HOLIDAY...you mean we're not talking about Ms. Piper?

I thought snobbery was the domain of the socially or intellectually superior.

Nobody has come up with a single, modern day, alternative to the singers in the list.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Nobody has come up with a single, modern day, alternative to the singers in the list.
No, I can't think of any either, I was just messing about. I was just a bit ashamed that when I saw the list that mentioned 'Billie' it was *that* Billie I thought of first.

vimothy

yurp
If you mean Joanna Newsom noooooooooooooooooo...

Yeah, that's her. Really twee and probably quite annoying in the right / wrong context.

EDIT: Still significantly less annoying than Celine Dion (Canada, you have much to answer for), though.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Beth Gibbon - Portishead - reference back to raising hairs of neck...

Yup- derivative po/mo or not I re-listened to the second Portishead album recently and its still fantastic. She was a pretty decent lyricist also, as well as keen to get involved with a variety of (scarifying) vocal treatments...