World's Greatest Female Vocalists

gek-opel

entered apprentice
There was some mention of David Sylvian also... who needs a thread I think, at least for "Blemish" probably the best album of the last ten years...

N

nomadologist

There was some mention of David Sylvian also... who needs a thread I think, at least for "Blemish" probably the best album of the last ten years...

David Sylvian is so oddly but powerfully attractive that I have this theory even straight guys actively want to fuck him.

(Or at least, he used to be...)

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Back in the day (ie early 80s) he was legendarily described by Paul Morley as being "too fragile to fuck" which is pretty spot on. Though nowadays he looks every inch the middle aged Buddhist seer. To often though he flirts with overly MOR jazzish naturalistic textures and emerges as Stings slightly leftfield brother. But when he's set against alienatingly modernistic electronics (be it with Japan on "Tin Drum" with ethno-prog synth pop or solo on "Blemish" with processed digital guitar avant-ambient) he's world class.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

I imagine he'd be all kinds of fey and emotionally closed then open like his vocals. His orgasms are like nervous breakdowns.

Brian Eno looks like a seer now, too. This gives me hope that you can outlive and overcome your own acid burnout.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I imagine he'd be all kinds of fey and emotionally closed then open like his vocals. His orgasms are like nervous breakdowns.

Brian Eno looks like a seer now, too. This gives me hope that you can outlive and overcome your own acid burnout.

Blemish is like an avant-ambient take on a "blood on the tracks" style break-up album, but with lyrics/vocals like Scott Walker (but recorded entirely dry and MUCH louder than the backing music, to make the album intentionally painfully human and present) and an amazingly brutal/damaged lyric sheet which interacts in awesome ways with the backdrops... a fantastically angry album in parts, but hidden beneath a lowering opiated hum.

N

nomadologist

Prick?

No, I really like a lot Sylvian's stuff. Even love that 4th world business with Harold Budd (or is it Jon Hassell) and Holger Czukay.

He's not female.
hehe
Isn't Fourth World with Brian Eno? I have both volumes, it's excellent. Eno/Hassell.

N

nomadologist

Is today a really depressing day? Or is it just me.

I was just thinking of putting Japan stuff on my stupid ipod for my flight today and just thinking of the ballady songs of theirs made my brain have a funky episode. :slanted:

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Is today a really depressing day? Or is it just me.

I was just thinking of putting Japan stuff on my stupid ipod for my flight today and just thinking of the ballady songs of theirs made my brain have a funky episode. :slanted:

You mean "Ghosts" and "Night Porter"?

N

nomadologist

Ha I usually put on the MFA "The Difference it Makes" when I'm trying to trick myself into being happy.