Teaching

don_quixote

Trent End
very interesting thread, just taken up teaching post-16 maths. i am unqualified and basically picking up all possible tips. lesson planning is usually off the cuff and i make it up on my way to work in the morning. that's not exactly a good thing is it?

really really enjoying it though. after hating a maths degree and vowing i'd never touch the subject ever again i'm back in love with it (within five months...)

N

nomadologist

yeah the problem is the kids who don't get it are usually utterly baffled, and then turn off or think that they are hopeless and quit trying. Not all at once, but surprisingly fast. I think I'm a reverse elitist, I figure the quick ones will do okay without me.. while if the weak ones drop out they may never come back.

Nomad, I'm in a Jurisprudence and Social Policy program in a law school. It's a PhD program not a professional law degree. I do empirical investigation of legal issues, but my TA jobs are all in undergraduate legal studies, either survey of Constitutional history (twice), a cool class called Property & Liberty (twice), or once I TA'd for Feminist Jurisprudence which was a total trip.

This sounds pretty interesting, most of my law school friends are doing social policy type courses...I should steal their textbooks...

Numbers

My mother teaches/lectures in sociology and some of the shit I hear about the flagrant stupidity of some of her students literally beggars belief at times. I don't know how people have the patience to deal with that kind of piss-taking really.

It's insulting, especially when -once you confront them with your remarks- they continue to pretend they spent wee-heeks writing that essay.

N

nomadologist

Teach for America

After thinking about this discussion long and hard, I'm thinking of doing Teach For America for a couple of years. The pay isn't what I'm used to from medical writing, but it's something really necessary and TFA teachers provide a pretty vital service in this city. After each year, I'd get a certain amount of money to pay off my student loans, which would be helpful, and whether I decide to teach in life in general, I will have some sort of experience on my resume that isn't big science or non-profit.

Anyone have any thoughts or recs for this?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
After thinking about this discussion long and hard, I'm thinking of doing Teach For America for a couple of years. The pay isn't what I'm used to from medical writing, but it's something really necessary and TFA teachers provide a pretty vital service in this city. After each year, I'd get a certain amount of money to pay off my student loans, which would be helpful, and whether I decide to teach in life in general, I will have some sort of experience on my resume that isn't big science or non-profit.

According to my mother if you enjoy teaching its basically one of the most satisfying jobs there is. It affords a reasonable degree of autonomy and you are only minimally alienated from the products of your labour...

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

This is a good point. I think it would be a great way to get teaching experience AND do something community-oriented that may actually begin to chip away at some of the social problems I feel strongly about.

I just called my parents and talked to them about it and they both think it's a great idea. My mom works as a guidance counselor right now so she ran through the pros and cons with me. She said she thought it would be relatively easy for me to gain the trust of female students because they would be able to relate to me. She think they would chew me up and spit me out if I were more of a timid and shy person, so I have the right temperment. I think it's as good a place as any to begin what I'm hoping will become a long life of volunteer commitments and outreach style program work. Hopefully my program development experience will give me a leg up.

In TFA you make a decent salary plus enough "student loan repayment" moeny that I would be able to wipe out my private loans.

N

nomadologist

Also, my new roommate who teaches English at a vocational school for kids who want to be mechanics and stuff in a rough part of Bushwick, he tells me that what he loves are the hours--he is able to afford more time to himself to pursue his creative interests. He performs all the time and is able to "tour" a littlb bit in the summer.He said the number of holidays is wnderful! He even has today off because it's veterans day!!

ripley

I have heard some bad things about TFA. OF course teaching is great (I think), and many parts of the city are suffering from a lack of teachers. But TFA sends fairly inexperienced people into some truly rough situations. These are sometimes the absolutely worst-off schools & students who really need the most help and they get people who are not necessarily committed to the long term or experienced in dealing with crazy shit that can come up in the classroom, who may not be equipped to deal with students who are violent, or really high, or worse. teaching is hard in any situation, but in a lot of the roughest areas, you barely get to the teaching part because there are so many other problems. I know several people who have had awful experiences.

TFA seems to call on a great spirit - the will to do the right thing, but sometimes doesn't seem to recognize the huge chasm between goodwill and the support +skills to actually make a difference. And then it can be bad for the schools too.

I would talk to people who have done it before I signed up.

N

nomadologist

I know quite a few people who have done TFA, and they all had positive experiences (although none of them would have called it "easy", I don't think.) I know one girl who worked in Hells Kitchen, one in the Bronx, and a few in Brooklyn. I also knew kids who volunteered as art teachers in Crown Heights/Prospect Park, and in general it sounded like the TFA teachers had a much better organizational structure to fall back on in worst case scenarios.

I don't really have delusions about how much I'll be able to teach, I realize it will be a lot like babysitting, but I still think it would be a valuable experience on a personal/professional level.

It would certainly be challenging, and in a way I am hoping might be somewhat more satisfying than my money grub jobs were...

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I have heard TFA horror stories similar to Ripley's... You might try dipping your toes into it by doing substitute teaching or tutoring.

The nice/horrible thing about teaching is there is such a desperate need for them that you can often get a job without jumping through all the hoops or having all the required credentials.

N

nomadologist

I'm lacking one class toward an M.A.--in NY state, that's all you need to teach high school.

What were the horror stories like?

N

nomadologist

Also, I taught the suzuki method for violin for quite a few years as a teen, and also private piano lessons. This isn't the same as teaching in a classroom, but as far as pedagogical lesson plans and things like that go, I've done my fair share.

Haven't taken any "education" classes, but a vast majority of teachers in NY state took unrelated M.A.s and still work as teachers. Here it's considered more important to get a PhD in education if you plan on doing administration.

My brother's girlfriend is an art teacher in Albany already at a pretty rough school, and she's only 23! I'm surprised that students that are 18 don't give her a hard time, but then again, she's gorgeous.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I don't have any specific horror stories, just people very disappointed with how much "classroom management" (which is basically socializing kids to sit quietly in a classroom, not exactly easy to do with teenagers) and remedial stuff they had to work on. Like people who wanted to teach underprivileged high schoolers to express themselves through writing who have to spend half their time trying to be heard over the din and the other half teaching how to read and write simple sentences. And the huge problem of throwing inexperienced idealistic young people -- most of whom will leave for easier, better-paid, more satisfying teaching jobs in richer districts once they get fed up and burnt out -- at the toughest educational problems. Kids know which teachers are just moving through and respond accordingly. I have similar beefs with Americorps.

N

nomadologist

Ahh, I see. Well, I think that unfortunately, if kids are barely writing sentences, it's pretty vital that they learn to do that before any real progress will be made on creative writing lessons. I'm not lookin for Dead Poets Society, and I think my expectations are pretty realistic. Luckily I went to grade school in one of the most impoverished school districts in the state, so I've lived firsthand how hard it is to forge a "learning-conducive" environment out of a room full of emotionally disturbed, learning disabled, and under-showered young kids. I have a lot of sympathy for the few kids who do want to learn but are held back by the rest, too.

ripley

I'm talking about knives pulled in the classroom. kids attacking teachers (kids who may be bigger than the teachers) physically. Kids tripping out of their minds in the classroom.

don't mean to be over-dramatic. Lots of times this doesn't happen.

I actually think the other side of it is what I have more of a question about: what the kids being taught get out of TFA?

I also agree with Gavin: a lot of well-meaning folks do it because they want to do good, but that doesn't mean they ARE good for the kids they are teaching. And since many of the TFA folk see it (and I think it is often sold to them) as a temporary 'boost my karma/resume' experience and take off pretty fast, whatever happens the kids are left with another teacher leaving and a new, unfamiliar person every year or two. the kids know that too.

Although there may be no working solution, I sometimes think struggling schools and kids deserve better, and need a lot better, than TFA often has to offer them. There can be a nasty charity mentality "they should be grateful for what they can get" when sometimes it's the worst kind of bandaid --one that is far more effective at making the bandager feel better but precludes solving the real problem - a lack of experienced, committed teachers.

maybe it's different in different regions.

sorry to be negative but i know a good number of high school teachers these days (working especially in poorer parts of Oakland) and that's what I've absorbed..

N

nomadologist

I'm talking about knives pulled in the classroom. kids attacking teachers (kids who may be bigger than the teachers) physically. Kids tripping out of their minds in the classroom.

don't mean to be over-dramatic. Lots of times this doesn't happen.

I actually think the other side of it is what I have more of a question about: what the kids being taught get out of TFA?

I also agree with Gavin: a lot of well-meaning folks do it because they want to do good, but that doesn't mean they ARE good for the kids they are teaching. And since many of the TFA folk see it (and I think it is often sold to them) as a temporary 'boost my karma/resume' experience and take off pretty fast, whatever happens the kids are left with another teacher leaving and a new, unfamiliar person every year or two. the kids know that too.

Although there may be no working solution, I sometimes think struggling schools and kids deserve better, and need a lot better, than TFA often has to offer them. There can be a nasty charity mentality "they should be grateful for what they can get" when sometimes it's the worst kind of bandaid --one that is far more effective at making the bandager feel better but precludes solving the real problem - a lack of experienced, committed teachers.

maybe it's different in different regions.

sorry to be negative but i know a good number of high school teachers these days (working especially in poorer parts of Oakland) and that's what I've absorbed..

See, i live in a neighborhood where I've had to run after gunshots rang about 10 feet away from me, where teenagers carry boxcutters and have broken into my apartment while I was there, If nothing else, I know how to immediately spot the signs of drug abuse and "highness", and actually know quite a bit about how to handle drug psychosis.

Of course, none of this makes up for the larger negative aspects of the education situation in this country.

What are the kids who get taught by teachers who barely passed their classes in a second-rate education program that they took because they heard it was the easiest to pass while still drinking themselves to oblivion at their sorority getting out of going to school in general? No offense to teachers, but my mom has worked in school districts for a long time--she has always been horrified to watch districts hire people like this hypothetical sorority chick who have solid D GPAs because they simply need the staff members and the talent pool is extremely shallow. Often in my school they had to keep on staff whoever could manage to get through a semester without leaving or having a nervous breakdown (GHS went through THREE 8th grade social studies teachers when my brother was in middle school, in ONE semester).

Personally, I don't think of TFA as a solution to my "karma" at all--frankly that is kind of offensive. Without any arrogance at all, I think I can safely assume that without a single second of course work filling out workbook pages on childhood psychology and developmental research (all forgotten within a few seconds of course completion anyway), that I could learn how to teach high-school level subjects with some competence. There is a huge difference between seeing a gap where you (being a formerly rebellious and troubled kid who knows how tough it can be) might be of some assistance, and having the all-too-typical neoliberal "pat yourself on the back for caring" attitude. I assure you I am not of the later category.

Of course struggling districts deserve DEDICATED, fully-staffed faculties with lower student-to-teacher ratios and excellently credentialed teachers. In the absence of these in the real world, however, I do not think there is anything wrong with temporary solutions to these problems, even if these are not themselves ideal. A lot of people might want to do TFA with unrealistic expectations for how much "good" they can accomplish under the circumstances, but this does not mean students who can benefit from some TFA instructors should be denied this benefit because it is not a 100% utopic solution to all of public education's problems.

Last edited:
N

nomadologist

One good person to talk to would be my boyfriend's mom--she went to Columbia's teacher's school for her post-secondary, and she's spent her entire life teaching alternately in East Orange New Jersey's ghettos and at a non-profit in Harlem for mentally disabled adults who cannot afford institutionalized care. She would probably be able to give me some perspective so I don't go in with unrealistic expectations.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
2 more ucas personal statement gems:

"Many of my skills have grown and improved throughout my life in diverse experiences..."

"i would describe myself as a thinker"

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
2 more ucas personal statement gems:

"Many of my skills have grown and improved throughout my life in diverse experiences..."

"i would describe myself as a thinker"

Haha, you should compile these into a book! It could be one of those Christmas-gift bestsellers, I reckon.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
"i want to study optometry as i have worn glasses for the past 7 years"

"my interests towards the field of finance were channelled from an early age; being fascinated by the commercial world and wanting to learn how it all operates"