Teaching

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Some choice turns of phrase from the paper on music my students have turned into me (I know I'm a bastard but I can't resist):

The new lyrics are hoodwinked so good that is enough to make you think what is that he is trying to say always raping in and ironic mode or in a metaphor way.

Audience members are as different as the effects and styles used in prog rock. However this is one thing that most share in common, drugs.

Music has a large genre. There's music that helps communities grow and there's music that destroys a community. It has been around for a long period of time and it will not be going anywhere anytime soon. But there's a specific type of music that is totally meant to build the spirit, mind, and body; this music is called Gospel Music.

It would seem that all heavy metal is done in two's, two main instruments, two kinds of thinking, etc. This would lead one to believe two people could be a band, but I've never heard or see anyone do metal well by twos.

Indie I would like to describe as soulful. It has style and professionalism to it. No one really knows the exact definition to this genre, but even though you don't know how to describe it, does not mean that you can not listen to it. I can honestly tell you that I do not know what Indie is, yet the sound of it makes me happy.

Guybrush

Dittohead
Some choice turns of phrase from the paper on music my students have turned into me (I know I'm a bastard but I can't resist) ...

God, those are brilliant, and strangely: much more interesting than most professional music criticism.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Feel much better, matt: most of my students speak English as a first language.

Can't resist one more:
Instruments that move the people are the acoustic guitar and the French horn.
I'm assuming that they didn't continue: "Normally, they move away from the player of the acoustic guitar or the French horn."

I've wangled some part time lecturing work next term. It's only a couple of hours a week and it's fairly mickey mouse stuff, but it's the first time I've been actually running the course rather than just explaining the answers from the sheet so I'm quite excited about it...

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
I've wangled some part time lecturing work next term. It's only a couple of hours a week and it's fairly mickey mouse stuff, but it's the first time I've been actually running the course rather than just explaining the answers from the sheet so I'm quite excited about it...

You're teaching math, right Slothrop (or maths as the Brits say it -- kind of like the exotic plural to be honest)? I quite enjoyed tutoring basic math, a lot of students got satisfaction out of finally being able to consistently do basic operations like adding fractions. Algebra was a rare treat -- I miss it sometimes!

Had some wonderful class discussions on Kant's "What Is Enlightenment"... they disagreed with Frederick the Great's dictum "Argue all you like, but obey" which pleased me greatly... Which means I'm about due for a dire class unfortunately... I'm dropping some Marx tomorrow, wish me luck!

Some choice turns of phrase from the paper on music my students have turned into me (I know I'm a bastard but I can't resist):

Student Software Bots said:
The new lyrics are hoodwinked so good that is enough to make you think what is that he is trying to say always raping in and ironic mode or in a metaphor way.

Audience members are as different as the effects and styles used in prog rock. However this is one thing that most share in common, drugs.

Music has a large genre. There's music that helps communities grow and there's music that destroys a community. It has been around for a long period of time and it will not be going anywhere anytime soon. But there's a specific type of music that is totally meant to build the spirit, mind, and body; this music is called Gospel Music.

It would seem that all heavy metal is done in two's, two main instruments, two kinds of thinking, etc. This would lead one to believe two people could be a band, but I've never heard or see anyone do metal well by twos.

Indie I would like to describe as soulful. It has style and professionalism to it. No one really knows the exact definition to this genre, but even though you don't know how to describe it, does not mean that you can not listen to it. I can honestly tell you that I do not know what Indie is, yet the sound of it makes me happy.

Are you sure your students aren't in fact computer-generated writing/translation software bots? :cool:

Maybe re-process the above paragraphs through The Shannonizer: a web toy with delusions of literacy, picking the Edgar Allen Poe editor 'option' to generate:

The new lyrics
as edited by
Edgar Allen Poe​

The new lyrics are hoodwinked so good that I would have had swooned; their flames went utterly out forever, as the soul into nothingness; their flames went utterly out; but yet sternly beautiful night. I saw them-- of it makes me happy. There's music that my bed were in a community. I had always raping in prog rock. Of the exact definition to Usher. However this genre. But, but even though you that most share in common, and of death! In death with a band, and its vast weight-- no! You must not-- of a rapid ghastly to repeat, but yet the effects and dangerous to make you think what is not-- no more.. Quoth the sound of a community. I do metal well by twos. The impetuous fury of a hideous throng rush out; this! Once more let me happy. This would like to it was not be going anywhere anytime soon. Music has been around for a tempestuous yet strange things narrated-- and its vast weight-- no power to my recollection a metaphor way. I saw clearly the GALLOWS! It has a specific type of the exact definition to find the sound of the exact definition to it. It would have rid myself of the effects and there's a rapid ghastly thing-- it was now I do not behold this genre, two people could be a community.​

Alternatively, simply generate an entire essay on [enter subject of choice here] the Essay Generator, with more text-generating options here.

Further still, become an instant computer science academic here. Just input your name and the program will generate a "random Computer Science research paper, including graphs, figures, and citations. It uses a hand-written context-free grammar to form all elements of the papers." Then submit to assorted conferences, sit back, and wait for the invitation to present the paper!

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Hah, I am actually wondering if students are going to use these to forge papers.... the amount of baldfaced internet plagiarism I've seen thusfar is staggering... Like writing two pages about your favorite band is so fucking difficult! I would have salivated over those assignments in undergrad -- instead I wrote about it in my *gasp* free time!

I actually think

even though you don't know how to describe it, does not mean that you can not listen to it.

is kind of genius; I haven't been able to get it out of my head all week. Hoping students don't google their own papers (as I do) and come across this thread :eek:

dHarry

:DThat really is borderline genius.:D

What level/age are these students?

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
:DThat really is borderline genius.:D

What level/age are these students?

This is college-level, but that's mostly meaningless: I teach at a for-profit design school, so there are a lot of students (from a variety of ages, but most are young) with low skill levels -- they are not required to take SAT or ACT placement tests, as the school has its own. The financial value of accepting low-performing students is obvious, if regrettable, but again, the students are here to learn fashion design and Flash script, which -- so the conventional wisdom goes -- requires little in the way of literacy. The "General Education" curriculum that I teach is tangential -- though the students seem to enjoy it.

When I taught at a standard 4-year nonprofit state university, the papers weren't much better, and the students were generally less interested in the material.

vimothy

yurp
This is college-level, but that's mostly meaningless: I teach at a for-profit design school, so there are a lot of students (from a variety of ages, but most are young) with low skill levels -- they are not required to take SAT or ACT placement tests, as the school has its own. The financial value of accepting low-performing students is obvious, if regrettable, but again, the students are here to learn fashion design and Flash script, which -- so the conventional wisdom goes -- requires little in the way of literacy.

On the other hand, in the UK "not-for-profit" system, there is no incentive to accept low-performing students, and so many subejcts are closed to students with C GCSE at the subject grade (pertinent e.g. being Maths A Level or other STEM subjects -- the subject of much current Widening Participation research), which excludes generally students of lower income parents, who are then also excluded from the higher earning jobs that require technical qualifications.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
You're teaching math, right Slothrop (or maths as the Brits say it -- kind of like the exotic plural to be honest)? I quite enjoyed tutoring basic math, a lot of students got satisfaction out of finally being able to consistently do basic operations like adding fractions. Algebra was a rare treat -- I miss it sometimes!
Yeah, I've done a bit of teaching assistant type stuff before, and tutored a guy who had resits over summer, and with the one on one tuition in particular it was amazingly satisfying to try a few ways of explaining something and then see the light come on in his eyes as he suddenly grasped it. This is the first time I've been in charge of a course, though.

The more open ended stuff that you're doing sounds good in it's way too, though - I mean, I could never have a discussion with my students on whether they agree or disagree with the ratio test for a convergent series... well, not without going onto a fairly heavy philosophical tangent and confusing the hell out of them.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
On the other hand, in the UK "not-for-profit" system, there is no incentive to accept low-performing students, and so many subejcts are closed to students with C GCSE at the subject grade (pertinent e.g. being Maths A Level or other STEM subjects -- the subject of much current Widening Participation research), which excludes generally students of lower income parents, who are then also excluded from the higher earning jobs that require technical qualifications.

Acceptance to college (traditional or for-profit) is not down to one test here; indeed, most state-funded schools are strapped for cash (as bankrupt states slash education funding) and lowering their standards rapidly to drum up tuition proceeds.

It's quite interesting comparing the two systems (I've little experience in private universities), and I'm still feeling things out. I agree with you that higher education should be available to everyone. But a lot of students are sold a false bill of goods, 4-year college as the solution to everything. At my last uni, most students just wanted decent middle-class jobs in rural Ohio (where their families live), which meant a 4-year college degree was mostly useless since there are barely any jobs there that require one. Now if they had studied commercial truck driving, metal working, or other technical trades (which are waaaay more in demand than more mediocre marketing students) they would be in better shape. But no one makes those suggestions.

matt b

Indexing all opinion

not true where i work, but it's friday evening, so i can't be bothered.

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
The more open ended stuff that you're doing sounds good in it's way too, though - I mean, I could never have a discussion with my students on whether they agree or disagree with the ratio test for a convergent series... well, not without going onto a fairly heavy philosophical tangent and confusing the hell out of them.

i mostly like arguing about dividing by zero. i strongly dislike arguing about whether or not something is going to be in an exam.

rufus

Has anyone used MIT's OpenCourseWare, either as a teacher or just an interested student? Its been incredibly useful for me: I'm studying for an overly restrictive degree, and it gives me a real chance to do stuff my course/university doesn't offer.

Dunno if its got any real future as an educational resource though, or if its just a novel PR boost for MIT.

Interested in people's opinions, especially those of you who teach at this level

ripley

I really shouldn't but I am. from a student's comments in the weekly reading I have them do(the class is Constitutional History):

"Gone forever is the mystique that the Supreme Court once held for me. THIS IS THE BEST LESSON OF THE COURSE! These justices do not crap ice cream!"

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Has anyone used MIT's OpenCourseWare, either as a teacher or just an interested student? Its been incredibly useful for me: I'm studying for an overly restrictive degree, and it gives me a real chance to do stuff my course/university doesn't offer.

Dunno if its got any real future as an educational resource though, or if its just a novel PR boost for MIT.

Interested in people's opinions, especially those of you who teach at this level

Hey, just saw this... Thanks! I think I might use some of these to edify myself, looking forward to exploring it further!

"Gone forever is the mystique that the Supreme Court once held for me. THIS IS THE BEST LESSON OF THE COURSE! These justices do not crap ice cream!"

Awesome. My quarter's ending... If I get any hilarious evaluations I'll share them.