Classic Synth/Electronic Sounds

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
The usual suspects (except TD and Kraftwerk):

Klaus Schulze. At the very least get these: Cyborg, Mirage, X, Audentity, En=Trance, Miditerranean Pads
J M Jarre. Oxygene is one of the most influential electronic records ever, no matter what hipsters say or think. Magnetic Fields and Ethnicolor are better, though.
Vangelis. Begin with Albedo 0.39, Beaubourg and Soil Festivities.
Tomita: Snowflakes are Dancing and Pictures at an Exhibition.

Some slightly less known ones, but def. classics:

Cluster: Cluster II + Zuckerzeit (groundbreaking in each their own way).
Kitaro: Ten Kai/Astral Trip (his early, Schulze/kraut-influenced stuff).
Michale Stearns: Planetary Unfolding (heavy heavy heavy cosmic ambient).
Synergy: Cords (weird baroque electro-prog).
Ruyichi Sakamoto: B2 Unit (avant techno 15 years ahead of its time).
Clara Mondshine: Luna Africana (minimalistic/primitivistic electronics).
Chris & Cosey: Trance (somewhere between B2 Unit and Luna Africana).
Manuel Goetsching: E2-E4 (mentioned countles times on this board).

And how about Enos ambient records, are they part of all this?

TD and Krafwerk not your kind of thing???Shock!!! Too popular? ;) Love Kraftwerk, myself...but then I am a lightweight in all this. I've tried some Vangelis on the basis of that little film he did the soundtrack for but was pretty horrified by what I heard...found it...naff. The Goetsching album was another that I couldn't properly recall but heard back when I listened to a lot of Detroit Techno, so thanks for flagging it for me. Thanks for taking the time.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Tubular Bells? Never heard of it...is it any good? Fad Gadget...mm...not so sure about him...

Other constructive posts much appreciated.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tubular Bells? Never heard of it...is it any good?

You are joking, right? Damn, sarcasm is so hard to spot in text.
I thought I'd stick it up there because people were talking about other 'obvious' stuff; Jarre, Vangelis, Eno.
Ooh, speaking of Vangelis reminds me of the Bladerunner soundtrack. Good stuff.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
haha i was about to post pretty much all the above. so make that a double recommendation. Though i was going to say songs of love and lust for c+c.
Yeah, it's brilliant, as is their first and Techo Primitiv, but they all have vocals on them.

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
TubularBells.jpg
anyone?
Not really electronic, is it? For Oldfield, Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge are the ones (though not electronic either). Especially Hergist Ridge, a truly wonderful, criminally underrated masterpiece.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
You are joking, right? Damn, sarcasm is so hard to spot in text.
I thought I'd stick it up there because people were talking about other 'obvious' stuff; Jarre, Vangelis, Eno.
Ooh, speaking of Vangelis reminds me of the Bladerunner soundtrack. Good stuff.

:D ;)

hamarplazt

100% No Soul Guaranteed
TD and Krafwerk not your kind of thing??
Sure they are, I just thought they were so well known that it wasn't nescessary to name any classics.

I agree that Vangelis have made some truly horrible stuff, but he have also made some of my all time favorite music. Albedo 0.39 is a far out electronic progstravaganza, Soil Festivities is dark and mysterious ambient, and Beaubourg is a deeply personal and charming take on avant garde.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Good idea. Apologies for percieved sarcasm, which was meant to be a 'joke'. You don't know me, what I've listened to or, more importantly, how old I am. So I could be a teenybopper...blissfully unaware of Mike's legendary recording! As it is, I'm not.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Sure they are, I just thought they were so well known that it wasn't nescessary to name any classics.

I agree that Vangelis have made some truly horrible stuff, but he have also made some of my all time favorite music. Albedo 0.39 is a far out electronic progstravaganza, Soil Festivities is dark and mysterious ambient, and Beaubourg is a deeply personal and charming take on avant garde.

OK, I don't think I've heard those. Cheers.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Tee hee - it's the kind of galringly un-cool 'dad'-type record (I don't have it myself, in fact I can barely remember what it sounds like) that might just turn out to be an unspoken Dissensus favourite. Or then again, possibly not. You can never tell.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
'Galringly'? Heh-heh...thought that was a new word for a moment. I probably am old enough to be your dad.

I suppose 'Bells' comes under 'guilty pleasures'. I'd be surprised if that hasn't cropped up as a thread around here. Still, our tastes do change, don't they? In this 'post-ironic' age, no-one really seems to feel truly guilty about admitting a love of anything, even The Police.

Mind you, I think the club, 'Guilty Pleasures', is largely an excuse for the terminally tasteless to revel in that and somehow become 'hip' (in the eyes of the wannabe 'cool' press)...:slanted:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This forum is the sort of place where most people probably have a higher opinion of The Police than the police.

bunnnnnn

yesss! nic racievic. love the drug addled sci-fi artwork on those lps too. i gather they've all just been creel-poned.

tate

Brown Sugar
Karlheinz Stockhausen - Studie I/II (1953/54)
Nice to see the two studies mentioned in this context but you can't leave off Gesang, for which these were written in preparation, basically.

I had the pleasure of doing some recording work this past fall in an electroacoustic studio that had a 4-channel copy of Gesang der Jünglinge which had been given to them by Stockhausen, and I listened to the piece at least once a week for a couple of months surrounded by the four studio monitors. Learned a hell of a lot from the experience, that's for sure. It's fairly shocking how different the piece sounds on four channels rather than the headphones' two. And still a mindblower of a piece to this day, wow.